Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Nigerian Air Force Not The Dominant Aerial Power In W.africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigerian Air Force Not The Dominant Aerial Power In W.africa (534 Views)

IDF Kills Asem Abu Rakaba, Hamas Head Of Aerial Array In Airstrike (Photo) / Military seizes power in Gabon / Taliban Marks Two Years Since Return To Power In Afghanistan (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Air Force Not The Dominant Aerial Power In W.africa by Austyno4(m): 8:59am On Dec 09, 2017
The Nigerian Air Force can no longer be considered the dominant aerial power in West Africa after the government of Niger gave Washington permission to use attack drones in its anti terror operations in the country.

Here begs the question, why does Washington need two $200 million drone base against an enemy that is largely defeated and pushed out of its last major enclave in the Sambisa forest relegating the few remaining scattered groups to nomads and armed bandits, stealing to survive, always on the run with the Nigerian army and air force always on the chase.

Desperate, and isolated suicide attacks does not negate the fact that Boko Haram no longer possesses the ability to carry out large scale attacks and seize territory like it once did.

By this time in 2015 Boko Haram was the world’s deadliest terrorist group, attacking in large tactical formations they seized and control a vast expanse of land the size of Costa-Rica, encompassing 17 local governments and created a Caliphate, effectively cutting off 2 million Nigerians from the rest of the country, attacking military bases and stealing huge stockpiles of ammunitions, artillery pieces and even succeeded in stealing 15 Vickers MK III Eagle tanks and cluster bombs. It’s fortress- the Sambisa forest was a no go area, allowing external players to smuggle in weapons and cash.

attacking military bases and stealing huge stockpiles of ammunitions, artillery pieces and even succeeded in stealing 15 Vickers MK III Eagle tanks and cluster bombs. It’s fortress- the Sambisa forest was a no go area, allowing external players to smuggle in weapons and cash.

Today the hitherto operational base of Boko Haram- the Sambisa forest is now where the Nigerian Army hold small arms championship and sporting competition. So where is the threat that warrants the stationing of armed Reaper drones bases in virtually every country-which by the way are dictatorships, surrounding the only democracy in the axis -Nigeria?

What impact could this have on Nigeria?

The fact alone that drones, which is America’s best warfare tactics is coming to Africa’s West Coast, right at Nigeria’s doorstep is disturbing. Niger is now a new bin on the U.S bombing map as Washington pushes ahead with its anti extremist campaign on the continent. This is enough to put the fear of God on Nigeria’s leaders.

The armed drones are operated from a $100 drone base in Agadez, and of course this means an additional troop deployment to for security. For The first time in Nigeria’s history two of the worlds most technologically advanced militaries have set up shop in Nigeria’s periphery.

The Pentagon says this operation supports the long the strategic partnership between the United States and Niger, as well as the ongoing effort to counter Boko Haram. All in the name of war on terror. Give me a break ! Partnership with three of Africa’s longest service dictators, the only dictatorships in the region, yet alienating Nigeria, the world’s fourth largest democracy.

Since September 11 the Pentagon has been hell bent on dropping hellfire missiles on A-Stan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia….the lineup goes on. But for civilians in those countries a distant Buzz up in the sky can be a death warrant. In fact American drones have slaughtered some 1,500 civilians. The same unit which will be in charge of Niger drone operation is the same unit accused of killing ten people in Somalia in August, something the U.S Africa Command has denied. Now it is operating a new front in it’s drone war.

The Nigerian government is either ignorant or feigning indifference with a strategic plan behind the scene. I hope the latter is the case. What will it take for Nigeria to wake up to the reality that this is not a game or some diplomatic manoeuvring? this country has effectively been besieged there is no way out of this one unless the government acts proactively.

A month ago the death of four U.S soldiers in an ambush in Niger revealed American military presence in the country. Something even senior U.S politicians seems unaware of, much less the Nigerian Government West African countries can now being put under a lot of pressure by various Western powers. There are probably less than a thousand troops in Niger, this will now increase definitely by over three thousand U.S troops stationed in Niger. This is a big problem for ECOWAS and Nigeria to be precise. Nigeria’s neighbour are now allowing the United States to carry out these kinds of attacks. All of West Africa is now within range of American bombs.

This could be the costliest strategic mistake Nigeria Ever makes by its unwillingness to confront the build up of military forces right at our very own backyard.
Nigeria could at least compensate for the shift in the balance of air power and UAV capability by acquiring the newer CH-5 Rainbow drone to complete Nigeria’s fleet of four CH-3 Rainbow armed drones like the Egyptians did . The only country with the demographic, economic, diplomatic and military wherewithal is being encircled. Time is running out before it gets to the point of no return.

https://defensenigeria.com/2017/12/09/niger-gives-america-the-permission-to-use-attack-drones/

cc: Mynd44

Lalasticlala

Re: Nigerian Air Force Not The Dominant Aerial Power In W.africa by deco22(m): 9:26am On Dec 09, 2017
Niger has uranium in commercial quantity,they are trying to make sure it doesn't get into militants hands,thats why there is heavy presence of American and France soldiers in Niger.
Re: Nigerian Air Force Not The Dominant Aerial Power In W.africa by Austyno4(m): 9:50am On Dec 09, 2017
deco22:
Niger has uranium in commercial quantity,they are trying to make sure it doesn't get into militants hands,thats why there is heavy presence of American and France soldiers in Niger.

The least we can do is to upgrade our Air defence System... preferably the Russia made S-300 air missile defence system
Re: Nigerian Air Force Not The Dominant Aerial Power In W.africa by Enoma222(m): 10:00am On Dec 09, 2017
even_if_i_think_nigerian_still_got_control_of_West_ african we got good air defence too and but it secret
Re: Nigerian Air Force Not The Dominant Aerial Power In W.africa by Enoma222(m): 10:05am On Dec 09, 2017
deco22:

pls have_we_started_exploiting _our_uranium??
Re: Nigerian Air Force Not The Dominant Aerial Power In W.africa by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 09, 2017
deco22:

You think this is about fighting off the militants? Do you know for how long France (Areva) & her collaborators (Amerika) have been exploiting Niger?

NIGER, FRANCE CLASH OVER URANIUM

Uncertainty looms between Niamey and Paris over the much- coveted nuclear fuel mineral uranium, it has emerged.

According to the Nairobi-based think tank, Analysis Africa, despite the falling global uranium prices, Niger is seeking to take control of the Areva-operated uranium mine of Imouraren which is 160km north of Agadez.

The Imouraren mine is expected to become the second biggest open-pit uranium mine in the world, after the Olympic Dam in Australia.

Niger’s Minister of the Mines and Industrial Development, Omar Hamidou Tchiana, said the cooperation between his country and French nuclear company Areva was “unbalanced and unfavorable to Niger”.

Tchiana made this statement after Areva postponed the launch of Imouraren uranium mine from the year 2012 to an unscheduled date in 2013 or 2014.

Areva delayed the opening of the mine due to security reasons. This followed the death of seven employees of Areva, who were abducted in Arlit uranium mine by the Islamic militant group Al Qaeda in the Maghreb (AQIM) in September 2010.

Three hostages were later released but four remain in captivity. The French government had asked its expatriates to leave the area and the project of Imouraren was suspended for one year.

The French-owned nuclear giant Areva has been operating two uranium mines in Niger for the last 50 years through the companies Cominak and Somair.

But lately there has been a change of heart in Niamey as Niger is not satisfied with the impact of uranium mining in its economy.

In late October this year, Niger’s authorities announced suddenly that their country was yet to benefit from a 40-year partnership with the French Uranium mining company Areva.

The incomes from uranium exploitation count for only 5 percent of the country’s national budget.

This rate is being seen as exploitative and insignificant by Niger’s authorities. Presently Niger is the second largest uranium exporter in the world after Kazakhstan yet it is one of the poorest in the world.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Air Force Not The Dominant Aerial Power In W.africa by deco22(m): 10:33am On Dec 09, 2017
Zoharariel:

You think this is about fighting off the militants? Do you know for how long France (Areva) & her collaborators (Amerika) have been exploiting Niger?

NIGER, FRANCE CLASH OVER URANIUM

Uncertainty looms between Niamey and Paris over the much- coveted nuclear fuel mineral uranium, it has emerged.

According to the Nairobi-based think tank, Analysis Africa, despite the falling global uranium prices, Niger is seeking to take control of the Areva-operated uranium mine of Imouraren which is 160km north of Agadez.

The Imouraren mine is expected to become the second biggest open-pit uranium mine in the world, after the Olympic Dam in Australia.

Niger’s Minister of the Mines and Industrial Development, Omar Hamidou Tchiana, said the cooperation between his country and French nuclear company Areva was “unbalanced and unfavorable to Niger”.

Tchiana made this statement after Areva postponed the launch of Imouraren uranium mine from the year 2012 to an unscheduled date in 2013 or 2014.

Areva delayed the opening of the mine due to security reasons. This followed the death of seven employees of Areva, who were abducted in Arlit uranium mine by the Islamic militant group Al Qaeda in the Maghreb (AQIM) in September 2010.

Three hostages were later released but four remain in captivity. The French government had asked its expatriates to leave the area and the project of Imouraren was suspended for one year.

The French-owned nuclear giant Areva has been operating two uranium mines in Niger for the last 50 years through the companies Cominak and Somair.

But lately there has been a change of heart in Niamey as Niger is not satisfied with the impact of uranium mining in its economy.

In late October this year, Niger’s authorities announced suddenly that their country was yet to benefit from a 40-year partnership with the French Uranium mining company Areva.

The incomes from uranium exploitation count for only 5 percent of the country’s national budget.

This rate is being seen as exploitative and insignificant by Niger’s authorities. Presently Niger is the second largest uranium exporter in the world after Kazakhstan yet it is one of the poorest in the world.
Everyone knows France exploits all her former colonial territories,He was asking why the huge military presence and I told him the reason na,France doesn't want anyone touching their uranium
Re: Nigerian Air Force Not The Dominant Aerial Power In W.africa by deco22(m): 11:27am On Dec 09, 2017
Enoma222:

pls have_we_started_exploiting _our_uranium??
Nigeria has never really focused on our uranium,during the 1980s and 1990s I think a French company was exporting for us,we have many uranium deposits in the South South and North but Nigeriahas not really tapped into them.
Re: Nigerian Air Force Not The Dominant Aerial Power In W.africa by Enoma222(m): 2:11pm On Dec 09, 2017
deco22:
Nigeria has never really focused on our uranium,during the 1980s and 1990s I think a French company was exporting for us,we have many uranium deposits in the South South and North but Nigeriahas not really tapped into them.
_ok

(1) (Reply)

South Africa, Ghana Summon US Diplomats After Trump Remark / Tension Rise In Congo As Military Takes Control Of The State House / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.