Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,290 members, 7,860,685 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:18 PM

Cpanel Configuration -please Help! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Cpanel Configuration -please Help! (1964 Views)

Get MTN Free Browsing SIM Configuration For Free / I Need Guide For Multilink Datacard Internet Configuration On My Laptop / Help With Google Adsense Configuration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by YD(m): 6:12pm On Mar 30, 2010
pls can anyone help with
1.  detailed step by step procedure to uploading files into cPanel VPS optimised v3 File Manager. i uploaded home page into public_html but when i run the address on a url it give an error page:
                 index/
                 cgi-bin        (! --appears as an hyperlink)
                 home page    (! --also a link. when u click here it then takes u to the home page)
                 etc (! --a list of other)

NB when i run the domain (registered) address on a url, it should take me straight to the home page. but this doesn't  sad

and
2.    any other tips u may honourably give from your distinguished experiences   wink cheesy

pls somebody help, anybody
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 30, 2010
Name the file index.html and it will open first.

Anyother name will not make it open as the first.

To upload files, simply log in, then click file manager, from there choose Web Root (public_html/www) and click go.

Then you will be taken to the page u can click upload, and locate the file, that simple.
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by DualCore1: 9:31pm On Mar 30, 2010
By default webservers come configured to see the index.Bleep page ("Bleep" could be anything, html, htm, php e.t.c) as the page that should come up first. Some host companies have gone further to add other filenames that can act as the home page if present, filenames like frontpage.Bleep, homepage.Bleep, home.Bleep e.t.c. It is best to stick with naming your homepage as index.Bleep
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by OmniPotens(m): 11:21pm On Mar 30, 2010
I still guess Google search engine still exists to ask some questions for faster response.
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by Nobody: 11:30pm On Mar 30, 2010
@Omnipotens. Honestly i don't like it when you or anyone say such, I think most things are not easy to phrase and good phrasing is what google needs to provide something close to one's request.

Some things are best asked here, And 2. Here may provide better answers he can follow. I learnt a lot of things here from Quadrillio, Dual, DHML, Yawa and ur humble self.

Not trying to raise any issues, but the guy is in the right place.
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by OmniPotens(m): 1:30am On Mar 31, 2010
I agree with you but personal effort still matters alot[; that was what I was pointing at.
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by Nobody: 1:36am On Mar 31, 2010
Ok sir. I get your point, It is good to give newbies a form of independence and what i term smartness. (i guess that what u wanna point out) And that is very good.

Thanks all the same.
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by donline: 3:54am On Mar 31, 2010
very simple way to explain d procedure
save your work with html.index,php.index e t c
go to file manager click on your c panel
www root click ok
click upload file
try this
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by DualCore1: 6:29am On Mar 31, 2010
Donpuzo:

@Omnipotens. Honestly i don't like it when you or anyone say such, I think most things are not easy to phrase and good phrasing is what google needs to provide something close to one's request.

You see this is where our problem lies. We see google as a search engine. I see google as my best buddie. I get hit with a problem from outter space and i turn to google and i'm like "hey buddie i am having so so so issues, any ideas?" Sure google will always have practical Ideas. You don't need to spend ages phrasing a question for google. Just say it like it friggin is in your head. I personally do not know what i have not googled. I google everything!

There are millions of online communities with solutions to all the problems you will ever face in your cyber life because someone somewhere has faced those problems and practical solutions have been given.

When you're faced with tough questions in your cyber life, google has answers.
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by YD(m): 1:10pm On Mar 31, 2010
@omnipotence.
i personally use google alot. i'm no newbie to google. i spent sometime googling for it with differrent phrases but couldnt get the exact resolution. i just got manuals and tutorials. on the other hand, from people's hard earned experiences one could save time. reading through manuals and tutorials may not solve the issue. could be frustrating sometimes. i needed a sort of troubleshooting responses which some here have kindly helped out with.
thanks alot. will keep you guys posted if it sorts out
for me, NL buddies is faster and better wink cheesy as people actually answer the question directly when u're under heat to get things done fast.
gracias
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by OmniPotens(m): 5:36pm On Mar 31, 2010
Ok @YD. All is about getting solution so once you get what you need, you get busy working again. tongue

NB: OmniPotens not OmniPotence
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by Nobody: 8:23pm On Mar 31, 2010
Whatever embarassed
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by YD(m): 10:23am On Apr 01, 2010
OmniPotens:

NB: OmniPotens not OmniPotence

err.  cool

Donpuzo:

Whatever embarassed

cheesy  grin

thax alot pals. . . meanwhile
i was wondering why does some image file (.jpg) load into cpanel as text/x-generic instead of image/x-generic and eventually the image does not load when the index.htm url is run? sad
second, the <a href> link tags dont execute. when u click on the links on the homepage,it does not link to the page. sad
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 01, 2010
@Dualcore.

I think we Nigerians, our thinking most times is funny. Is google a sort of dictionary? If people did not post things like helps on issues how will google index it.

Imagine at google's origination everyone were saying ask gogole, what will be there for others to learn from.

Adding to the many by helping out with things like this may serve as a ground work for someone else who deem it fit to ask google to get a better answer to his request on search from Nairaland.

No offense meant and no apology intended, but i feel there should be an orientation change.
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by YD(m): 5:18pm On Apr 01, 2010
hey guys.thanks alot. i hv since launched successfully.
don't mind my last post, i eventually figured stuff out wink (d issues with d images& d links).
thank all for the help.

best regards.
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by DualCore1: 7:18pm On Apr 01, 2010
Donpuzo:

@Dualcore.

I think we Nigerians, our thinking most times is funny. Is google a sort of dictionary? If people did not post things like helps on issues how will google index it.

Imagine at google's origination everyone were saying ask gogole, what will be there for others to learn from.

Adding to the many by helping out with things like this may serve as a ground work for someone else who deem it fit to ask google to get a better answer to his request on search from Nairaland.

No offense meant and no apology intended, but i feel there should be an orientation change.

Don't get me wrong. I am not against asking questions here. That however doesn't mean we shouldn't try Google first before asking. Most of the questions that are being asked here are things that have been faced by others in a million and one other places and Google has indexed those perfectly. So why not save everyone the redundancy of information on the internet (and save yourself some quality time) and just try Google first. Thus far I have seen the problem is people do not know how to make Google work for them, they see it as a mere research tool. I get perplexed when a person asks me a question and i direct the person to Google and he tells me he doesn't know what keyword to use! Sometimes I go. . . "for the love of God, dude you just asked me a question and how the heck cant you just ask google that same question like you asked me?" or something like that. Google's AI has even gone a step further with the "did you mean" feature. The Google search engine means different things to different people and I am not about to enforce my ideology of the Google usage on anyone.

Today I am a very good Linux administrator among other things. I run my own dedicated servers in Datacenters in Germany and UK and I have never contacted the datacenters' technical support for anything (I wont even think of it, they don't speak English too well. I have however rehearsed the sentence "one of the HDs in my RAID setup is broken, replace it please" in german :-P I hope i never get to use it), I save about 250 Euros a month because I don't have to pay a Server Management firm to take care of my servers and harden them with firewalls against attacks. I do all that myself and I learnt all of that from the internet in a few weeks (and still learning new things cuz learning never stops). I made several Google queries a day, I query things ranging from single words in error messages or linux commands to "how tos" right down to copy/pasting an entire error block and I always get results from the very wide community of learned humans. In all this, I can't remember making a post asking a question cuz in 100 out of 100 (of my problems) someone else already faced it somewhere and a solution has been given.
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by Nobody: 7:52pm On Apr 02, 2010
Ok sir. But that words u posted was loong ohhh. I had to stop editing a site and read it, Although it passed a positive message accross.

I guess we have no issues, we are trying to enlighten and clearify ourselves of issues.
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by OmniPotens(m): 12:24am On Apr 03, 2010
@Donpuzo Hope you now understand why I will always ask peeps to get to Google when I think their questions needn't much deliberations to be made on them. No problem on this earth has never been experienced before and solutions to all of them abound. Google has indexed and got clues to web pages containing them.
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by Nobody: 5:44pm On Apr 05, 2010
@Ominipotens. Yes sir. Thanks.
Re: Cpanel Configuration -please Help! by canachy(m): 10:10am On Apr 07, 2010
YD:

pls can anyone help with
1. detailed step by step procedure to uploading files into cPanel VPS optimised v3 File Manager. i uploaded home page into public_html but when i run the address on a url it give an error page:
index/
cgi-bin (! --appears as an hyperlink)
home page (! --also a link. when u click here it then takes u to the home page)
etc (! --a list of other)

NB when i run the domain (registered) address on a url, it should take me straight to the home page. but this doesn't sad

and
2. any other tips u may honourably give from your distinguished experiences wink cheesy

pls somebody help, anybody

Its simple. even if u want ur default page to be yd.php, it possible,

Take the following steps:

1. create a new file in your public_html and name it ".htaccess" (without the quotes pls)

NB this file might already exist.

2. right click on the file (.htaccess) and click edit

3. type in the following command
DirectoryIndex yourdefaultfile.Bleep - (eg DirectoryIndex yd.php)

4.save the file and you are done.

5.launch your ulr and see the result

NBB: if you have your default page inside another folder other than the public_html folder, then follow these steps

1. do all of the above

2. create a file in the public_html and name it anyname.php (eg ym.php - it must be php)

3 open that file (eg ym.php) and type this line of code

<?php
header("Location: YourURLfolder/YourURLdeafaultFile.php"wink;
?>

eg <?php
header("Location: ym/ym.php"wink;
?>

hope this solves your problem, if not lemme know.

Regards
Chibuzor Anyagha

(1) (Reply)

Professional Website Design Training In Edo State / Naija Youtuber Let Meet Here ( Ask me Any Ques on making $$$ from YouTube ) / Blog For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.