Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,589 members, 7,816,448 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Is Bitcoin A Scam? Asim Qureshi - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Bitcoin A Scam? Asim Qureshi (701 Views)

Dear Nlanders, Please Is Bitcoin A Ponzi Scheme?? / Is Bitcoin Loophole Work For You / Is Bitcoin Dropping In Price: Bitcoin Hits $7099 Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Bitcoin A Scam? Asim Qureshi by SokoDobo: 12:26pm On Dec 09, 2017
Bitcoin is the mother of all Ponzi schemes.

It will crash and fade at some point. But on the way to its inevitable death, the journey may make many more insanely rich.

This is a global high-velocity bubble, the first in which the entire world can easily participate in.

And so it could be HUGE.
But it will end in tears.

Why? The problem isn’t that Bitcoin is digital. I’m cool with digital.

I do get that paper currency is nothing more than paper printed by a government.

But suppose I started a paper currency, the Asim Dollar, and stated that I legally cannot print more than 1,000,000 Asim Dollars ever, just like the cap on Bitcoin.

The question is would anyone use, or give a value to, Asim Dollars?

If I was the first person to think of this, in amongst a group of cavemen, I might get some traction but once everyone sees others making new paper currencies, the Asim Dollar will collapse.

That applies to Bitcoin too. Bitcoin is open source so it’s damn easy to copy, and those copies can be improved on, which is what we’re seeing happening.

The new copies of Bitcoin address some of the weaknesses of Bitcoin, in particular speed of transaction and the blockchain file size.

So when they’re better where will that leave Bitcoin?

Cryptocurrencies in general also have other fundamental issues. Given they’re decentralised who do you go to if your Bitcoin suddenly disappears? No-one.

And can anyone give any assurance that today’s hack of US$64m of stolen Bitcoin will not be the first of many hacks? Nope.
Further, the lack of price stability makes Bitcoin far from ideal as a currency.

The only currencies that have maintained value are ones that are backed by something like gold or ones that are backed by legislation and a government.

Bitcoin is neither.

Bitcoin is a scam. And while blockchain technology has uses, it’s massively overhyped in large part due to Bitcoin itself.

The future of money is digital. But it’s not Bitcoin…

Summary: If you’re an investor, stay away. If you’re a gambler, go for it..

Asim Qureshi is A Former Investment Banker and Vice President at Morgan Stanley
Re: Is Bitcoin A Scam? Asim Qureshi by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 09, 2017
SokoDobo:
Bitcoin is the mother of all Ponzi schemes.

It will crash and fade at some point. But on the way to its inevitable death, the journey may make many more insanely rich.

This is a global high-velocity bubble, the first in which the entire world can easily participate in.

And so it could be HUGE.
But it will end in tears.

Why? The problem isn’t that Bitcoin is digital. I’m cool with digital.

I do get that paper currency is nothing more than paper printed by a government.

But suppose I started a paper currency, the Asim Dollar, and stated that I legally cannot print more than 1,000,000 Asim Dollars ever, just like the cap on Bitcoin.

The question is would anyone use, or give a value to, Asim Dollars?

If I was the first person to think of this, in amongst a group of cavemen, I might get some traction but once everyone sees others making new paper currencies, the Asim Dollar will collapse.

That applies to Bitcoin too. Bitcoin is open source so it’s damn easy to copy, and those copies can be improved on, which is what we’re seeing happening.

The new copies of Bitcoin address some of the weaknesses of Bitcoin, in particular speed of transaction and the blockchain file size.

So when they’re better where will that leave Bitcoin?

Cryptocurrencies in general also have other fundamental issues. Given they’re decentralised who do you go to if your Bitcoin suddenly disappears? No-one.

And can anyone give any assurance that today’s hack of US$64m of stolen Bitcoin will not be the first of many hacks? Nope.
Further, the lack of price stability makes Bitcoin far from ideal as a currency.

The only currencies that have maintained value are ones that are backed by something like gold or ones that are backed by legislation and a government.

Bitcoin is neither.

Bitcoin is a scam. And while blockchain technology has uses, it’s massively overhyped in large part due to Bitcoin itself.

The future of money is digital. But it’s not Bitcoin…

Summary: If you’re an investor, stay away. If you’re a gambler, go for it..

Asim Qureshi is A Former Investment Banker and Vice President at Morgan Stanley

all these useless guys at morgan stanley and Jp morgan think that they can just open their mouth and be talking anything they feel like.

(1) (Reply)

GT Bank /western Union! / I Sell And Supply Soybean..... / I Need 45pcs Of Laptop For Rent(closed)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.