Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,603 members, 7,812,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

What's The Best-way-to-become-a-rockstar-software-engineer-in-the-shortest Time? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What's The Best-way-to-become-a-rockstar-software-engineer-in-the-shortest Time? (1071 Views)

How To Be A Software Engineer In 2023. / The Shortest Guide To Launch Your Career In Artificial Intelligence- Infographic / Urgent: Rockstar Java Developer Required (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What's The Best-way-to-become-a-rockstar-software-engineer-in-the-shortest Time? by asalimpo(m): 9:27pm On Dec 09, 2017
[b]
Build apps completely by yourself

that’s what I did and now a couple years later I’m running a software development firm doing 6 figure development contracts. The path I took wasn’t easy, but it will make you a rockstar engineer.

The steps I took follow:

build the full front end (use the React.js framework!)
build the backend and connect it to a database (use Django!)
put it online and host it on the cloud (use aws!)

The first time you do it, it’ll take you a long time. Your app will suck. It’ll barely work and you’ll get no users.

At the root of it your app won’t be structured well and your code will be bad. My code was really bad looking back. In Django, I built my whole API in one views file, and put all of my models into one models.py file. If you know Django you’ll know that’s awful.

But keep building. Build another app. Get hired by someone who knows what they’re doing and learn the right ways to build an app. Keep building everything by yourself.

The biggest issue with most developers is that they’re too specialized. While good at a company like Google, what happens when you want to do something new?

Don’t listen to people who tell you to specialize in only backend, only frontend, or only deployment, dabble in everything.

Once you know how to build a good tech stack, start building them for legitimate companies. Build products that will reach thousands of people. Millions of people. Scale and setup infrastructure to scale.

I don’t know how long the process will take you. It took me roughly 2 Years. Long? Short? Don’t worry too much about “speed”. Just worry about always improving. This girl wasn’t even a CS major and in a year built an app that’s used by thousands of people.

I’ve doved into numerous technologies, built many different types of systems. Worked on Blockchain, live streaming, ecommerce, and more.

I don’t know if I’m a “rockstar engineer” yet, but I do know that I’m confident enough to build anything.
[/b]
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-absolute-best-way-to-become-a-Rockstar-software-engineer-in-the-shortest-time-possible

1 Like

Re: What's The Best-way-to-become-a-rockstar-software-engineer-in-the-shortest Time? by excanny: 9:57pm On Dec 09, 2017
It takes about 10 years to be a rockstar programming if you live a fairly normal life.

But if you do thing else but code all day and night, roughly 3 years.
Re: What's The Best-way-to-become-a-rockstar-software-engineer-in-the-shortest Time? by yorex2011: 10:25am On Dec 10, 2017
excanny:
It takes about 10 years to be a rockstar programming if you live a fairly normal life.

But if you do thing else but code all day and night, roughly 3 years.

Your calculations based on the 10,000 hrs to mastery right?

(1) (Reply)

Web Developer (remote Position) / Blockchain Developer Asap / Where Is The Smarthub Located In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.