Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,536 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” (688 Views)

Church Of England Wants To Stop Referring To God As ‘he’, ‘him’ And ‘our Father' / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married / Pope Francis Kisses And Blesses Nigerian Boy Who Went Missing In Rome. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by Ezyp(m): 6:37am On Dec 10, 2017

Pope Francis has proposed that the Catholic Church should adopt a better translation of the Lord’s Prayer, the most ubiquitous prayer in all of Christendom.

“And he said to them: When you pray, say: Father, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins, for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation.” Luke 11:2-4 (Douay-Rheims)

In an interview for the Italian television show, “Our Father,” which airs on TV2000 in Italy, Pope Francis said: “that is not a good translation,” referring to the phrase “lead us not into temptation.” He proposed a different translation should be adopted “because it speaks of a God who induces temptation.”

Explaining his reasoning, he added further that,

“I am the one who falls. It’s not him pushing me into temptation to then see how I have fallen. A father doesn’t do that, a father helps you to get up immediately. It’s Satan who leads us into temptation, that’s his department.”

Pope Francis mentioned that the Church in France has changed their translation to “do not let us fall into temptation,” and that the alternative should be adopted worldwide.

An approximately translated transcript of the description is below:

“Do not let me fall into temptation because it is I who fall, it is not God who throws me into temptation and then see how I fell, a father does not do this, a father helps to get up immediately”. Pope Francis explains that verb “lead”, confuses us a little in the sixth petition of the prayer of the Our Father. “not a good translation” according to the Pope, which reminds us that God is a good father.”

http://www.ucatholic.com/news/pope-francis-calls-change-wording-lords-prayer/

http://punchng.com/lead-us-not-into-temptation-not-appropriate-translation-pope-says/amp/
Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by Ayoemrys(m): 7:26am On Dec 10, 2017
I Thotght Thats Wat Dey Wrote In The Bible Now Or Are They Trying To Twist It Anyway It Make Sense,
Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by Ezyp(m): 7:34am On Dec 10, 2017
Ayoemrys:
I Thotght Thats Wat Dey Wrote In The Bible Now Or Are They Trying To Twist It Anyway It Make Sense,
No he is not tryin to twist. He was suggesting. Remember the original text might have lost its original meaning due to translation to translation before it was translated in English
Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by Ayoemrys(m): 7:38am On Dec 10, 2017
Ezyp:

No he was suggesting. Remember the original text might have lost its way due to translation to translation before it was translated in English
So Are You Trying To Say That Most Of The Words In The Bible Are Not Even Correct
Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by Ezyp(m): 7:42am On Dec 10, 2017
Ayoemrys:
So Are You Trying To Say That Most Of The Words In The Bible Are Not Even Correct
English wasn't the original text. I didn't write that the words are incorrect. The true meaning in the original spoken word will lose its way due to translations
Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by iPrevail(m): 7:44am On Dec 10, 2017
Through centuries of the existence of Christianity, the Bible has been open to all sorts of modification. Little wonder while there's so many translations for the same book/script/text. (Is Aramaic that difficult to translate? undecided )
A Pope or preacher comes along, reads something he doesn't like, modifies it to suit his "purpose". And for future generations, they'll tell em it was written through the inspiration of the Holy spirit. The Holy Spirit has spoken to/through Pope Francis... again. undecided
Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by Ayoemrys(m): 7:49am On Dec 10, 2017
Ezyp:

English wasn't the original text. I didn't write that the words are incorrect. The true meaning in the original spoken word will lose its way due to translations
We Are Sayhng Samething Bro,, Lost Its Way And They Replace It With Suggesting Clause Or Phrase,
Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by Ezyp(m): 7:50am On Dec 10, 2017
iPrevail:
Through centuries of the existence of Christianity, the Bible has been open to all sorts of modification. Little wonder while there's so many translations for the same book/script/text. (Is Aramaic that difficult to translate? undecided )
A Pope or preacher comes along, reads something he doesn't like, modifies it to suit his "purpose". And for future generations, they'll tell em it was written through the inspiration of the Holy spirit. The Holy Spirit has spoken to/through Pope Francis... again. undecided

Bros read the text well na... He was just suggesting. He hasn't made it compulsory na. You should read why he suggested that. Bedside the pope can't just wake and make changes all by himself.... Una own na to de find fault from person
Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by mazimee(m): 7:50am On Dec 10, 2017
He made sense
Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by Ezyp(m): 7:53am On Dec 10, 2017
Ayoemrys:
We Are Sayhng Samething Bro,, Lost Its Way And They Replace It With Suggesting Clause Or Phrase,
Did you read why he was suggesting. I guess he has a point. But if you ain't cool with it you stick to what you know
Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by iPrevail(m): 7:56am On Dec 10, 2017
Ezyp:

Bros read the text well na... He was just suggesting. He hasn't made it compulsory na.... Una own na to de find fault from person

I never implied so. Stop reading my text with a closed mind.
Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by Ezyp(m): 7:58am On Dec 10, 2017
iPrevail:

I never implied so. Stop reading my text with a closed mind.
Re-read what you wrote slowly this time with eyes wide open
Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by Maamin(m): 12:38pm On Dec 10, 2017
There is nothing wrong with present wordings in the Slootha'd Maaran Eashoa mishkah (Prayer of our Lord Jesus the Messiah)

It all depends in our various level of understanding who God the father is.

Here is the Aramaic prayer and it direct english similitude.

Mattai qeepaleeyun Waw 9-13

"Avvon d-bish-maiya, nith-qaddash shim-mukh.
Tih-teh mal-chootukh. Nih-weh çiw-yanukh:
ei-chana d'bish-maiya: ap b'ar-ah.
Haw lan lakh-ma d'soonqa-nan yoo-mana.
O'shwooq lan kho-bein:
ei-chana d'ap kh'nan shwiq-qan l'khaya-ween.
Oo'la te-ellan l'niss-yoona:
il-la paç-çan min beesha.
Mid-til de-di-lukh hai mal-choota
oo khai-la oo Behind-bookh-ta
l'alam al-mein." Aa-meen.

Matthew chapter 6:9-13

"... Our heavenly Father, hallowed is your name.
Your Kingdom is come. Your will is done,
As in heaven so also on earth.
Give us the bread for our daily need.
And leave us serene,
just as we also allowed others serenity.
And do not pass us through trial,
except separate us from the evil one.
For yours is the Kingdom,
the Power and the Glory
To the end of the universe, of all the universes." Amen!

The phrase "Lead us not into temptation" does not contradict God a bit. For it is in line with 1 Cor. 10:13

"13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

"Lead us not into temptation" is a request and whatever we diligently seek in truth shall be given to us.

More over God tormented Saul with an Evil spirit from him. Does that need to be altered as well? No! Because it does not reduce him from being "Our Father" And God Almighty.

Finally like I said earlier, it's all boils down to how we understand God Our father. He wills everything in the universe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by Ezyp(m): 12:51pm On Dec 10, 2017
Maamin:
There is nothing wrong with present wordings in the Slootha'd Maaran Eashoa mishkah (Prayer of our Lord Jesus the Messiah)

It all depends in our various level of understanding who God the father is.

Here is the Aramaic prayer and it direct english similitude.

Mattai qeepaleeyun Waw 9-13

"Avvon d-bish-maiya, nith-qaddash shim-mukh.
Tih-teh mal-chootukh. Nih-weh çiw-yanukh:
ei-chana d'bish-maiya: ap b'ar-ah.
Haw lan lakh-ma d'soonqa-nan yoo-mana.
O'shwooq lan kho-bein:
ei-chana d'ap kh'nan shwiq-qan l'khaya-ween.
Oo'la te-ellan l'niss-yoona:
il-la paç-çan min beesha.
Mid-til de-di-lukh hai mal-choota
oo khai-la oo Behind-bookh-ta
l'alam al-mein." Aa-meen.

Matthew chapter 6:9-13

"... Our heavenly Father, hallowed is your name.
Your Kingdom is come. Your will is done,
As in heaven so also on earth.
Give us the bread for our daily need.
And leave us serene,
just as we also allowed others serenity.
And do not pass us through trial,
except separate us from the evil one.
For yours is the Kingdom,
the Power and the Glory
To the end of the universe, of all the universes." Amen!

The phrase "Lead us not into temptation" does not contradict God a bit. For it is in line with 1 Cor. 10:13

"13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

"Lead us not into temptation" is a request and whatever we diligently seek in truth shall be given to us.

More over God tormented Saul with an Evil spirit from him. Does that need to be altered as well? No! Because it does not reduce him from being "Our Father" And God Almighty.

Finally like I said earlier, it's all boils down to how we understand God Our father. He wills everything in the universe.

I like your point

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Proposes Change To The Wording Of The “our Father” by Dhugal: 5:17pm On Dec 10, 2017
In Igbo,that part reads "ekwena k'anyi kwe nye na nlanye/onwunwa", meaning do not let us fall into temptation.
The Pope just want to bring out it's full meaning,in a literal sense,in both the Italian and English languages

(1) (Reply)

Fomwan National Amirah Meets Firdaus, The Embattled Law Student / PHOTOS: Nigerian Woman Uses Husband’s Car To Sow Seed At A Church In Delta State / Bring The Bible And Some Holy Water! It’s Time To Kill The Christian Devil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.