Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees (2561 Views)

Senate Approves Reps’ Takeover Of Kogi Assembly / Buhari’s Cabinet: 33 Ministerial Nominees Fail Corruption Test-tribune / Buhari’s Cabinet: Nominees Under EFCC Probe Face Tough Hurdles-the NATION (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by Beaf: 10:50pm On Mar 31, 2010
[size=14pt]Nigerian Senate approves president's cabinet nominees[/size]
By Ola Awoniyi (AFP) – 3 hours ago

ABUJA — Nigeria's Senate on Wednesday approved all but one of Acting President Goodluck Jonathan's ministerial nominees after he recently sacked the entire cabinet in the West African oil giant.

"We hope when these ministers are deployed they will live up to the expectations of Nigerians, earnestly do what they promised us here," said Senate President David Mark, a former army general and minister.

"I think we will ensure that, through our oversight functions, they do precisely what they told us here."

Mark said the vetting was speeded up "in the interest of the country" and to "move the nation forward as quickly as possible."

Of the 39 nominees, only one, who was absent at the screening session, was not confirmed. It was unclear why the nominee from northeastern Taraba State was absent from the three-day exercise, shown live on national television.

Jonathan's cabinet line-up includes a top banker from Goldman Sachs, Olusegun Aganga. The confirmed nominations included some ministers from the old 42-member cabinet he dissolved two weeks ago.

It also includes Murtala Yar'Adua, a nephew of President Umaru Yar'Adua, whom Jonathan replaced last month due to his ailing health.

Jonathan dissolved the cabinet as he moved to assert his authority after taking power from Yar'Adua, who only recently returned to Nigeria after three months in Saudi Arabia for treatment for a heart condition.

Former junior ministers Remi Babalola for finance, Odein Ajumogobia for petroleum and Godsday Orubebe for the oil-rich Niger Delta region are among the returnees confirmed by the senate.

Others confirmed were ex-information minister Dora Akunyili, former finance minister Samsudeen Usman, ex-justice minister Adetokunbo Kayode, and former minister of planning in the 1999-2007 administration of former president Olusegun Obasanjo, Sanusi Daggash.

Jonathan is eyeing a pro-reform government for Africa's most populous nation, where much of the population of 150 million lives in poverty without basics such as water and electricity despite its oil wealth.

The approved ministers -- to be handed their portfolios and formally inaugurated by Jonathan -- are expected to serve until next year when elections are to be held.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gC5RnbKgZgNEDyXxOVBru-7bgFqw
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by trueword: 4:21am On Apr 01, 2010
ok. part 2 is now who get's what ministry. let's see if jonathan is really committed to moving the country forward.
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by Beaf: 8:46am On Apr 01, 2010
Something tells me that most of the ministers are figureheads to douse tension. The real work will be done by the Presidential Advisory Council (PAC).
Only a handful of ministers like Aganga and Ogiemwonyin will be given a free hand.

Enjoy this cartoon.
[img]http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/cartoons/cart01/010410[/img]
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by otukpo(f): 1:59pm On Apr 01, 2010
Dora shld head Health Ministry
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by Richydos(m): 2:36pm On Apr 01, 2010
What's d point of this reshuffling or rather called re-approved cabinet ministers coz i see no difference in this unfolding drama, let me ask this, Is it right 2 say u want 2 clean up ur house and u end up bringing back d dirts u wish 2 throw out?, This is just a waste of time and money coz there is still no difference
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by Kobojunkie: 2:43pm On Apr 01, 2010
Richydos:

What's d point of this reshuffling or rather called re-approved cabinet ministers coz i see no difference in this unfolding drama, let me ask this, Is it right 2 say u want 2 clean up your house and u end up bringing back d dirts u wish 2 throw out?, This is just a waste of time and money coz there is still no difference
Correction, he threw out about 3 weeks ago. I doubt the man thought this through. Likely he simply fired them to flex his new found muscles, and not really for want for GENUINE change to benefit the Nation as a whole.
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by Bukittes(f): 2:56pm On Apr 01, 2010
Whether to flex his muscles or not, at least they will have little respect or rather loyalty to him since he is the one appointing them. They were unruly and felt since he dint appoint them, he couldn't boss them around e.g Rilwan lukman. Now, i guess they should all know better that Mr Acting President will not tolerate any show of indiscipline. Gbam!
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by StEdwin(m): 3:01pm On Apr 01, 2010
Now Jonathan has no excuse what so ever to fail. The senate has done its best. From now till elections next year, I hope we'll be seeing giant strides in the economy and not a lull in activities. His name has already been written in the books of history and whatever he does within this one year will determine if Nigerians were right to have requested for him to be made Acting President. His Presidential advisory councill has alot of work to do if he intends to hold their suggestions and opinions in high regard. All the same, I want the best for him and I gladly hope he's the right man to take Nigeria towards actualization of the VISION 2020 dream. I rest my case.
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by gentlegg(m): 4:04pm On Apr 01, 2010
From that ministerial list, fellow nigerians tighten your belts because it's journey as usual.
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by akwaowoudo(m): 4:36pm On Apr 01, 2010
We are designing a marking scheme for their performance at the end of their tenure. I wish them well but rating now Prof. Dora Akunyili is my best while my least is Murtala Yar'adua.
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by Ifebazz(m): 4:55pm On Apr 01, 2010
Peter turn face Paul na still Peter.
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by DisGuy: 5:33pm On Apr 01, 2010
Bukittes:

Whether to flex his muscles or not, at least they will have little respect or rather loyalty to him since he is the one appointing them. They were unruly and felt since he dint appoint them, he couldn't boss them around e.g Rilwan lukman. Now, i guess t[b]hey should all know better that Mr Acting President will not tolerate any show of indiscipline. Gbam![/b]

oh no wonder he chose these weaklings! former wife, younger sister of , nephew of . . .

we are on cruise control till his time is up 2011
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by virusdacramil(m): 6:13pm On Apr 01, 2010
I would only want to say that, 'Dora dont even need to come back, she was under pa during her tenure, compared to that of, jerry gana, chikelu and nweke jnr, all this men where active as information minister, but under he NTA was not allowed to broadcast junior world cup, it a shame, what does she have to do now.
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by DisGuy: 6:15pm On Apr 01, 2010
virusdacramil:

I would only want to say that, 'Dora dont even need to come back, she was under pa during her tenure, compared to that of, jerry gana, chikelu and nweke jnr, all this men where active as information minister, but under he NTA was not allowed to broadcast junior world cup, it a shame, what does she have to do now.

Foreign Affairs grin
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 01, 2010
Dis Guy:

Foreign Affairs grin

@ Dis guy

young man who gave u right and audacity to lock my topic which i posted as regards invitation to usa?
i wonder why and what made u do that?

and i demand a quick explanation OR, angry
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by DisGuy: 8:48pm On Apr 01, 2010
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-420764.0.html

it was becoming a private slanging match- irrelevant to the public
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by CrudeOil2(m): 9:06pm On Apr 01, 2010
Nigeria is totally fückèd up. The so called screening was a big shame, I never knew the Nigerian senate was full of morons. The questions they were asking the nominees was illogical and non reasonable.
As usual, nigerians should not expect anything from these guys.
Re: Senate Approves President's Cabinet Nominees by Golfer: 2:46pm On Apr 06, 2010
ALLISON-MADUEKE is sworn as Petroluem minister.

(1) (Reply)

Message To Tpiah From Jarus / Contempt: Onovo Defies Court Again ! / Senate, House Committees Disagree On Oil Benchmark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.