Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,397 members, 7,861,116 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:55 AM

Akunyili, Tapgun In Narrow Escape ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akunyili, Tapgun In Narrow Escape ! (647 Views)

Benue South: Senator David Mark In Narrow Lead (IDOMA VOICE) / Selfish And Narrow Interests, Bane Of Nigeria's Development / Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Akunyili, Tapgun In Narrow Escape ! by wales(m): 10:36am On Apr 01, 2010
Two ministerial nominees — Prof. Dora Akunyili and Ms Josephine Tapgun — narrowly escaped being rejected by the Senate as members of the new Federal Executive Council.

Akunyili, whose name was the third read by the President of the Senate, Mr. David Mark, almost lost out when the voice vote appeared to show that the senators who supported or opposed her nomination were equal in number.

Loud murmurs followed and Mark had to hit his gavel repeatedly to call the Senate to order. But Akunyili’s later triumphed as the President of the Senate proceeded to say that her nomination had been accepted.

When Mark read out Tapgun’s name, Senator Satti Gogwin, raised a Point of Order, saying the Senate should not, in the exercise of its powers to confirm ministers, abuse the Federal Character principle.

Gogwim, who argued that the zoning arrangement in Plateau State had been altered by Tapgun’s nomination, reeled out Sections 147 and 14 of the 1999 Constitution to buttress his argument

Section 147 reads, “(1) There shall be such offices of Ministers of the Government of the Federation as may be established by the President.

(2) Any appointment to the office of Minister of the Government of the Federation shall, if the nomination of any person to such office is confirmed by the Senate, be made by the President.

(3) Any appointment under subsection (2) of this section by the President shall be in conformity with the provisions of section 14(3) of this Constitution:-

provided that in giving effect to the provisions aforesaid the President shall appoint at least one Minister from each State, who shall be an indigene of such state.”

Section 14 (3) talks about the federal character principle.

Gogwin was, however, ruled out of Order by Mark, who pointed out that the problem was not peculiar to Plateau State. He told the senator that it would not be proper for the Senate to treat the issue on its floor.

The screening and confirmation of Dr. Shamsudeen Usman(Kano), a former Minister of Finance, came as a surprise to many Nigerians. The media had reported on Wednesday that the Presidency requested the Senate on Tuesday night to put his clearance and that of another nominee, Alhaji Umar Aliyu (Taraba), on hold.

Our correspondents gathered that Usman got off the hook following last minute horse-trading between political gladiators from Kano State and power interests within the Presidency who brokered a truce in time for his screening and subsequent clearance.

However, Aliyu may not have been so lucky as it was not clear as at press time whether he had been replaced or slated to be screened at a date to be announced later .

In all, 13 nominees, including Usman were screened on Wednesday. These 13 nominees were later cleared alongside Akunyili, Tapgun and 23 others.

As at Wednesday night, it was not clear when the ministers designate will be inaugurated, although sources in the Presidency said it could be today or mid next week.

The ministers-designate are Mrs. Fidelia Njeze; Mr. Adetokunbo Kayode (SAN); Mr. Godsday Orubebe; Alhaji Nuhu Wya; Mr. Odein Ajumogobia (SAN); Senator Akinlade Olasunkanmi; Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke and Mr. John Odeh.

Alhaji Isa Ibrahim; Mr. Remi Babalola; Mr. Humphrey Abah; Mr. Chukwuemeka Wogu; Senator Sanusi Daggash; Mrs. Josephine Anenih; Mr. Labaran Maku; Alhaji Bala Mohammed; Alhaji Suleiman Bello; Alhaji Murtala Yar’Adua; and Mr. Nduese Essien are also new ministers.

The others are Alhaji Mohammed Adoki (SAN); Navy Capt. Earnest Olubolade (rtd.); Senator Jubril Martins-Kuye; Mr. Chris Ogunmoye; Dr. Emmanuel Ihenacho; Dr. Idi Hong; Prof. M. K. Abubakar; Alhaji Adamu Waziri; Alhaji Abubakar Mohammed; Mr. Ayodele Alao; Mallam Yusu Suleiman and Prof. Rekia Rufai.

Earlier, Usman had answered questions on a wide range of issues from the banking reforms to Nigeria’s shortcomings in the area of national planning.

On banking reforms, he said there were “ certain issues” that needed some adjustment. But Usman, who is also a former Minister of National Planning, did not mention the issues.

He said, “As somebody who has served in the Central Bank of Nigeria for eight years, I will say it is very much on course.

“What is being addressed is the issue of risk. That is a very critical factor in bank . You will notice that every country is reviewing its banking regulations to ensure that the kind of recklessness and financial problems that were created for the whole world are avoided. It is happening in the United States and it is happening in Europe.

“In fact, we are probably ahead of the curve. But I think there may be certain issues that need some adjustment, but overall I will say it is very much on course.”

On planning, Usman said, “We are taking Nigeria back to a culture of planning. Vision 2020 is a long-term plan. The Central Working Group chaired by Chief Philip C. Asiodu will produce a four-year implementation plan which is a medium term plan for the country.

“The annual budget is the short-term plan. What is needed now is to find a way of integrating these plans. From 2011 hopefully, our budget must be derived from the medium term plans and from the Vision 2020.”

Usman also cleared the air on what he called a misconception about his relationship with the National Assembly.

He said, “I will like to use this opportunity to correct a terribly wrong impression that was created when I was a Minister of Finance.

“The public perception was that the National Assembly was my enemy or I was the enemy of the National Assembly. Far from that, Mr. President (of the Senate). I will be the last person that anybody would expect not to understand that a budget is both an economic document as well as a political document.

“To say that I do not recognise the primacy of the National Assembly given by the 1999 Constitution to be the one that decides appropriation, I mean if anybody accuses me of that, it will be completely out of order.”

Usman further explained that his fight against the “mafia” in several sectors in the nation’s financial sector created a lot of enemies for him.

He accused these enemies of being the brains behind the misinformation about his actions while in office.

According to him, “I had taken on so many mafia; I had taken on the Customs mafia, I had taken on the tax concession mafia who are draining this country of its revenues.

“Everybody knows the committee I set up under Senator Udo Udoma saved this country billions of naira. I took on the oil importation mafia and I took on the ports system mafia because I was trying to achieve 48 hours clearance.”

He said a lot of capacity building especially on the part of the Executive arm of government was required to achieve better budget implementation.

Meanwhile, the Presidency has described the conclusion of the screening of the new ministers as one of “the good works” the Senate has done to save the nation.

The Senior Special Assistant to the Acting President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Ima Niboro, made the Presidency’s sense of gratitude to the lawmakers known while addressing journalists in Abuja.

He said “We must commend the Senate for the speed with which they have worked. It showed their level of commitment to moving the nation forward.

“We commend them and I must tell you that the Acting President is grateful to the Nigerian Senate.”

Link:

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201004016462845

(1) (Reply)

Unemployment Rate: 10,000 Candidates Write Inec Recruitment Test In Abia / Nigeria For Peace To Reign, Jonathan Must Run In 2011 / A Revolution! Yeah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.