Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,973 members, 7,810,700 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment (39778 Views)

Soldier To SARS: The Day You Kill A Yahoo Soldier Is When You'll Be In Trouble / Army Hands Over Suspected Killer Soldier To Police In Abia (photos) / Houseboy Sent Away For Stealing, Mobilizes Soldier To Beat His Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by stephanie11: 3:17pm On Dec 15, 2017
@POLITICSNGR

The Nigerian army, on Friday, announced that a court-martial has handed down death and life imprisonment sentences to some soldiers for Manslaughter.

Below is a press release obtained by PoliticsNGR signed by the Deputy Director 7 Division Army Public Relations, Kingsley Mfon Samuel;

"The General Court Martial (GCM) sitting in Maiduguri, Borno State has sentenced a soldier serving in Operation LAFIYA DOLE to death for murder. Other soldiers also bagged jail sentences for various offences ranging from manslaughter to illegal possession of firearms and ammunition.

The soldier, Lance Corporal John Godwin, was charged with murder, which is punishable under Section 106 (a) of Armed Forces Acts (Cap A20), Laws of the Federation of Nigeria (LFN) 2004, for killing five rescued civilians in Yamteke town of Borno State. The civilians were earlier rescued by troops of the soldier's battalion and were taken for investigation at the time the soldier shot and killed 5 of them.

Another soldier, Sergeant Innocent Ototo, was sentenced to life imprisonment for manslaughter after torturing and killing a 13-year-old boy who he said stole his phone. The incident happened at Zamanbari area of Maiduguri metropolis in Borno State.

While Lance Corporal Benjamin Osage and Private Sunday Onwe were also sentenced to 20 years imprisonment each for offences bordering on manslaughter and illegal possession of firearms and ammunition.

Delivering the judgement, the President of the Court Martial, Brigadier General Gbenga Olusegun Adesina, said that the offences run contrary to Nigerian Army’s Rules of Engagement (ROE) and also against Nigerian Laws and Geneva Conventions which Nigeria is signatory to and which the Nigerian Army as a professional Army holds in high esteem.

You are please requested to disseminate this information to the general public through your medium."

https://politicsngr.com/2017/12/15/nigerian-army-sentences-soldiers-death-manslaughter-photos/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by biacan(f): 3:20pm On Dec 15, 2017
Nice one

14 Likes

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by LeeMason(m): 3:28pm On Dec 15, 2017
OK seen

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Hadone(m): 5:05pm On Dec 15, 2017
I hope other Nigerians and the police will learn from this. Why should you kill innocent lives that you're paid salaries to protect? You see bokoboyz you run for your dear life, now the armless 13 years old boy be your target. Mtsww

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by ayomidepaul(m): 5:06pm On Dec 15, 2017
who cares undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by johnstar(m): 5:06pm On Dec 15, 2017
Eblyk say dis my glo network fast oo

I don dey test am since

3 Likes

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Bobby4090: 5:06pm On Dec 15, 2017
Where will they serve their prison sentences? in a regular prison or in the Army barracks. Sounds funny!
Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by BafanaBafana: 5:07pm On Dec 15, 2017
Nigeria Army sef

Kizyte:
Until you sentence those soldiers that shot and killed innocent Biafran protesters, I'll never take the Nigerian Army as a professional army.

If you can actually prove that any biafran protester was killed, investigations will definitely be carried out. And note that obituary posters and pictures of dead people are not proofs of anything.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Authoreety: 5:07pm On Dec 15, 2017
Good development
Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by CirocBoi(m): 5:07pm On Dec 15, 2017
Thank God for Confinement

Also without the possibility of parole

grin grin grin

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by DRJECKYLL(m): 5:07pm On Dec 15, 2017
Nigerian Army kill themselves more than Boko Haram in maiduguri

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by enemyofprogress: 5:07pm On Dec 15, 2017
See marginalization, there is no single Yoruba man there. No problem keep on marginalizing us

2 Likes

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Massob: 5:08pm On Dec 15, 2017
Good for them
Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Teebilion: 5:08pm On Dec 15, 2017
its them,see their names,and always claiming victims,my potopoto brothers

3 Likes

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by hakeem4(m): 5:08pm On Dec 15, 2017
Qwerty4u:
Check the names of those charged ....no northerner among...am.not justifying their offence but why are they at Bornu....
When will all these wickedness stop....

What am I even saying sef
they’re seen as Nigerians not Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba

BafanaBafana:
Nigeria Army sef
they committed the crime so they should pay for it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Asuokaa: 5:08pm On Dec 15, 2017
Do you know you can share rent or space and offer short lets where ever you are in Lagos, Accra, Cape Town, Nairobi, Alexandria and Casablanca etc.

Share Rent, Connect with users looking to rent an apartment in the same location you desire but cant afford the total package.

Share Space/ Short Lets. Share that empty space, shop, office space with someone so as to save cost and make more money.

Visit https://cotenant.com.ng/add-your-listing/

2 Likes

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by OnyeOGA(m): 5:08pm On Dec 15, 2017
A soldier that can't protect life. Is that one soldier?
undecided
Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Qwerty4u(m): 5:08pm On Dec 15, 2017
Check the names of those charged ....no northerner among...am.not justifying their offence but why are they at Bornu....
When will all these wickedness stop....

What am I even saying sef

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Deprofessional(m): 5:08pm On Dec 15, 2017
Are you surprised that all the condemned soldiers are christians?

The muslim police officer that ordered the killing of six Igbo traders in Apo abuja were let off the hooks.

This is Nigeria.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by michlins(m): 5:09pm On Dec 15, 2017
I will be here when people will claim they are Christians and Southerners forgetting no one sent them to commit those attrocities

[/b] Modified[b] they're already here

5 Likes

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Jatinzbusinessc(m): 5:09pm On Dec 15, 2017
It's very sad cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 15, 2017
Absobloodlutely lubbish!

So when are they going to court-marshall Burutai for the murder of innocent ipob members?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by BafanaBafana: 5:10pm On Dec 15, 2017
hakeem4:
I know. That isn't my problem

1 Like

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by maskid(m): 5:10pm On Dec 15, 2017
good
Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by BafanaBafana: 5:10pm On Dec 15, 2017
hakeem4:
I know. That is not the problem. The problem is that Nigeria doesn't have a strong army. Any army that delights in flexing muscles on and oppressing defenseless civilians will find it almost impossible to face and conquer any armed group, Idi Amin and Saddam can testify to that. Also besides firing long range missiles, carrying out aeriel bombardment and hiding behind big armoured vehicles, our army can't do shit! If the Chadian army decides, they can overrun Nigeria in less than a week.

5 Likes

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Kizyte(m): 5:10pm On Dec 15, 2017
Until you sentence those soldiers that shot and killed innocent Biafran protesters, I'll never take the Nigerian Army as a professional army.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by BagWay: 5:10pm On Dec 15, 2017
sars shud get such room trial also
and they should all be setenced to death by bullet force.
they should introduce freestyle escape sniper kind of thing.
where those sentenced to death should be two in an open field of about 400meters.
sniper behind them about 2000metres.
then allow them escape in the open field to an open gate at the other end.whoever makes it out alive ..cheats death.
the sniper must be the best in town.

i spit on u bastards soldiers.
fools

2 Likes

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 15, 2017
Killed recued civilians? He must be a member of boko haram

2 Likes

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by unitysheart(m): 5:11pm On Dec 15, 2017
Hmmmm. It be like say the war don make some lrun mad. How can you kill 5 rescued civilians?
Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by hakeem4(m): 5:12pm On Dec 15, 2017
BafanaBafana:
I know. That isn't my problem
okay sir

2 Likes

Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by asdfjklhaha(f): 5:12pm On Dec 15, 2017
H
Re: Army Sentences Soldier To Death For Manslaughter, Others life imprisonment by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 15, 2017
Let the south kill the south

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boy Kidnaps Two Kids In Akure, Sells For N50k Each (Photos) / Ozubulu Church Massacre Suspects Arraigned In Court (Photos) / Fulani Herdsmen Attack Tiv People In Benue Again,kill 11(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.