Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law (1341 Views)

Universities Sex Abuse: Aisha Buhari Wants Muslims, Christians To Fight Menace / LASU Sacks ASUU Chairman, Vice Chairman And 15 Other Lecturers For Malpractices / UNILORIN, LASU, Covenant are Nigeria's First choice Universities-JAMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law by lovewins: 11:02am On Dec 16, 2017
As seen on facebook

Please read patiently.
Tales of "Defined" Justice/Right

I'm a product of Lagos State University, and if one must talk about religion injustice, Lagos State University, particularly Faculty of Law, is a classical example. So much to talk about but of most prominence is the line up of Courses we were made to learn. This hasn't changed till date.

In my first year, Islamic Law was made compulsory for both Christians and Muslims. We all took the Course because we had no choice. The rule was that it's either you take the course or you drop out. To make it more deadly, it's the only Course that was 4 units. All other Courses, including Nigeria Legal Method were 2 units. The implication is that, if you fail the Course, there is a high tendency that you may drop out. So, the helpless Christians were made to study Islamic Law Course so hard, and in this way, were forced to learn Islamic principles which is against their faith.

As a rule, if you mention the name of the prophet, you must add "Praise Be Unto Him". Our lecturer warned us that anyone who attempts his exam questions without this indication stands a risk of failing the Course. It was "adhere or you fail".

In 200 level, the only elective Course made available by my institution was Islamic Transaction Law. And the system is designed in a way that you must pick at least one elective Course to complete your units for the session, otherwise, you risk a chance of been withdrawn for under registration.

We were "compulsorily" made to learn a subject that's against our faith as Christians, an act which is clearly in breach of our fundamental right as eshrined in the Constitution, the same law those against the Body of Benchers are canvassing. I remember how my lecturer rebuked me for daring to raise such issue. Heaven didn't fall!

Some of my able lecturers and colleagues who are running this campaign online now supervised this act against us (with utmost respect sirs). They didn't remember the very right they are canvassing. The policy was against Christians and since Christians are not humans, they have no such constitutional right.

Even as I write, the situation is the same in my alma mater. Christians are still technically forced to study Islamic Law. Again, heaven is not falling. No one is talking about it.

I was going to tag some of my lecturers here but I suspect they may feel embarrassed. I know they are reading this. And so wish to pass this message.

If you feel not allowing your Muslim sisters to wear hijab for 2 hours is against their fundamental right, what do you have to say about forcing the Christian faithfuls in your institution to learn Islamic principles for 2 years? Do we have two sets of Constitution governing us?

By the wordings of the Constitution, the right not to be forced to learn principles against one's faith is almost absolute and as such, the Christians in faculty of law, Lagos State University have more beautiful fight than the lady whose religion excesses were curtailed. How come we overlook the one whose right is almost absolute and are weeping over the one whose right is subjective?

We must learn not to create unnecessary tension in this country. I'm not a religion bigot. I'm only raising these issues to balance the equation. Justice, equity and fairness is all we seek.

If we must talk about the Body of Benchers, we must also talk about the injustice in my LASU!

https://www.facebook.com/ghodz.rhadhikhal/posts/10208434483259933

1 Like

Re: LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law by fellowman: 11:06am On Dec 16, 2017
This is unacceptable.
Re: LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law by efighter: 11:11am On Dec 16, 2017
Islamphobia is driving you fast to early grave. Islam came fully about 400 years after Christianity, yet so called Christians are very scared of Islam. I am Muslim, but I went to Saint Agnes Primary School being run and funded with tax payers (Christian, Muslim, Traditionalists) money, yet B.K. was a compulsory subject with no option. I did not cry, wail nor complain. Now, you cannot tell me lies that Jesus did not preach.
Re: LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law by Nltaliban(m): 1:59pm On Dec 16, 2017
efighter:
Islamphobia is driving you fast to early grave. Islam came fully about 400 years after Christianity, yet so called Christians are very scared of Islam. I am Muslim, but I went to Saint Agnes Primary School being run and funded with tax payers (Christian, Muslim, Traditionalists) money, yet B.K. was a compulsory subject with no option. I did not cry, wail nor complain. Now, you cannot tell me lies that Jesus did not preach.

Your mental retardation is incurable.
I don't know why Muslims derive joy in playing victims

Like seriously? You went to a Christian school and you don't want bible knowledge as a subject?. Lol.

Lasu is a state government school, not owned by any Islamist or Islamic organization. Islamic law should not be made compulsory.

1 Like

Re: LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law by MasterKim: 2:31pm On Dec 16, 2017
Nltaliban:

Your mental retardation is incurable.
I don't know why Muslims derive joy in playing victims

Like seriously? You went to a Christian school and you don't want bible knowledge as a subject?. Lol.

Lasu is a state government school, not owned by any Islamist or Islamic organization. Islamic law should not be made compulsory.
Did you attend lasu?
Re: LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law by Nltaliban(m): 2:36pm On Dec 16, 2017
MasterKim:

Did you attend lasu?

No.
Re: LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law by MasterKim: 2:42pm On Dec 16, 2017
Nltaliban:

No.
You both re chronic wailers dat need to fvck off dz thread or just observe

Re: LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law by sanandreas(m): 4:15pm On Dec 16, 2017
The West don't know what is going on.
Re: LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law by lovewins: 4:43pm On Dec 16, 2017
lovewins:
As seen on facebook

Please read patiently.
Tales of "Defined" Justice/Right

I'm a product of Lagos State University, and if one must talk about religion injustice, Lagos State University, particularly Faculty of Law, is a classical example. So much to talk about but of most prominence is the line up of Courses we were made to learn. This hasn't changed till date.

In my first year, Islamic Law was made compulsory for both Christians and Muslims. We all took the Course because we had no choice. The rule was that it's either you take the course or you drop out. To make it more deadly, it's the only Course that was 4 units. All other Courses, including Nigeria Legal Method were 2 units. The implication is that, if you fail the Course, there is a high tendency that you may drop out. So, the helpless Christians were made to study Islamic Law Course so hard, and in this way, were forced to learn Islamic principles which is against their faith.

As a rule, if you mention the name of the prophet, you must add "Praise Be Unto Him". Our lecturer warned us that anyone who attempts his exam questions without this indication stands a risk of failing the Course. It was "adhere or you fail".

In 200 level, the only elective Course made available by my institution was Islamic Transaction Law. And the system is designed in a way that you must pick at least one elective Course to complete your units for the session, otherwise, you risk a chance of been withdrawn for under registration.

We were "compulsorily" made to learn a subject that's against our faith as Christians, an act which is clearly in breach of our fundamental right as eshrined in the Constitution, the same law those against the Body of Benchers are canvassing. I remember how my lecturer rebuked me for daring to raise such issue. Heaven didn't fall!

Some of my able lecturers and colleagues who are running this campaign online now supervised this act against us (with utmost respect sirs). They didn't remember the very right they are canvassing. The policy was against Christians and since Christians are not humans, they have no such constitutional right.

Even as I write, the situation is the same in my alma mater. Christians are still technically forced to study Islamic Law. Again, heaven is not falling. No one is talking about it.

I was going to tag some of my lecturers here but I suspect they may feel embarrassed. I know they are reading this. And so wish to pass this message.

If you feel not allowing your Muslim sisters to wear hijab for 2 hours is against their fundamental right, what do you have to say about forcing the Christian faithfuls in your institution to learn Islamic principles for 2 years? Do we have two sets of Constitution governing us?

By the wordings of the Constitution, the right not to be forced to learn principles against one's faith is almost absolute and as such, the Christians in faculty of law, Lagos State University have more beautiful fight than the lady whose religion excesses were curtailed. How come we overlook the one whose right is almost absolute and are weeping over the one whose right is subjective?

We must learn not to create unnecessary tension in this country. I'm not a religion bigot. I'm only raising these issues to balance the equation. Justice, equity and fairness is all we seek.

If we must talk about the Body of Benchers, we must also talk about the injustice in my LASU!

https://www.facebook.com/ghodz.rhadhikhal/posts/10208434483259933

Lalasticlala
Re: LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law by lovewins: 5:37am On Dec 18, 2017
efighter:

Did you read the post at all?

Lalasticla
Re: LASU Aledgely Forces Christians To Study Islamic Law by Doublejoy411(m): 8:24am On Dec 18, 2017
@OP no knowledge is wasted.....be glad you studied Islamic law.....it widens your knowledge.....the only thing is that you'll not let it deter you from your religion

(1) (Reply)

15 Beautiful Places You Need To Visit Before You Die / Free: Waec 2018 Geography Essay And Objective Answers – May/june / 2018 NECO Time Table – NECO June/july Examination Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.