Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,252 members, 7,818,873 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab (2098 Views)

Almajirai Blast Northern Governors Over 'Maltreatment' / Southern Senators Begin Confab / Biafra: We Stand With One Nigeria – Southern Senators’ Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 16, 2017
The Chairman, NSF, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, who spoke for the forum at a retreat of Northern senators in Katsina, had said it was unfair for Southern senators to ask the President to implement a report to which he was not part of.

However, a statement by the Chairman of SSF, Sen Hope Uzodinma, said if his Northern colleagues had studied the communiqué earlier issued on the matter by the SSF, they would have realized that it was drawn from the papers submitted by eminent Nigerians from all over the country.

“The communiqué by Southern Senators Forum merely asked President Buhari to convene a meeting of governors and the leadership of the National and state assemblies to consider the report and forward to the National Assembly for debate.

I wonder why Adamu should be in a hurry to defend a President who has not complained about the communiqué. Has Adamu forgotten that the President’s party and his party too, the APC, promised to restructure in their manifesto?

Even Adamu admitted that the 2014 conference report treated restructuring extensively. What is wrong in asking the President whose party promised restructuring to consider sending a restructuring report to the National Assembly?

“Let me inform my colleague that Southern Senators met in Calabar on a well-planned retreat on how to deepen national unity through devolution of powers.

This inability to distinguish between the roles of the legislature from that of the executive is the height of confusion and ignorance’s and it is truly unfortunate.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/12/confab-southern-senators-blast-northern-counterparts-call-president-jettison-report/

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by FriendNG: 3:32pm On Dec 16, 2017
We are not going to implement the confab report. The earlier you realize this the better for you.

Northerners are not well represented in the southern national convention. You single handedly appoint those (northerners) you feel will second to southern biased interest in the conference. Even at that, the northern appointees rejected many of the so called proposals but in defiance & feeling of the presidency belongs to us (South), you overruled the northern protest and present the conference report without their affirmation as what Nigeria and Nigerians desired for.

Also, the number of Christian religion representatives in the conference is greater than that of Islamic religion representatives making them to have a greater advantage.

The 2014 confab is nothing but a southern conference and should only be supported by southern senators if they have the majority. But as regarding the north, from Abubakar Bukola Saraki down to the last northern senator we say not to 2014 confab report implementation.

if Gej who initiated the conference did not implement it then Buhari wont be forced to do so

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 16, 2017
But what's this people's problem? They're always against peaceful change.

2 Likes

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by Sammy07: 3:34pm On Dec 16, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by princechurchill(m): 3:52pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:
We are not going to implement the confab report. The earlier you realize this the better for you.

Northerners are not well represented in the southern national convention. You single handedly appoint those you feel will second to southern biased ideas in the conference. Even at that, those appointed rejected many of the so called proposals, but in defiance and in the feeling that the president is from the south, you overruled the northern protest and present the conference report without their affirmation as what Nigeria and Nigerians want.

Also, the number of Christian religion representatives in the conference is greater than that of Islamic religion representatives making them have a better advantages.

The 2014 confab is nothing but a southern conference and should only be supported by southern senators if they have the majority. But as regarding the north, from Abubakar Bukola Saraki down to the last northern senator we say not to 2014 confab report implementation.

Have u read the content of the confab or are u judging from religious mindset

11 Likes

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by Isokowadoo: 3:55pm On Dec 16, 2017
Pay no attention to that Lot He Is Confused as Ds ones Here

1 Like

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by FriendNG: 3:57pm On Dec 16, 2017
princechurchill:

Have u read the content of the confab or are u judging from religious mindset

I have not read it but I have watch it on Tv. I see the protest by some northerners.

cc mynd44 lalasticlala
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by Nobody: 4:03pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:

I have not read it but I have watch it on Tv. I see the protest by some northerners.
Why don't u read it before u judge? The confab report is for the benefit of everyone.

Read it, its online...u can download it here
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/national-conference/download-nigeria-2014-national-conference-report-ngconfab-2/

5 Likes

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by BabaRamota1980: 4:05pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:

Northerners are not well represented in the southern national convention. You single handedly appoint those (northerners) you feel will second to southern biased interest in the conference. Even at that, the northern appointees rejected many of the so called proposals but in defiance & feeling of the presidency belongs to us (South), you overruled the northern protest and present the conference report without their affirmation as what Nigeria and Nigerians desired for.

Also, the number of Christian religion representatives in the conference is greater than that of Islamic religion representatives making them to have a greater advantage.

if Gej who initiated the conference did not implement it then Buhari wont be forced to do so

This temperament is exactly how South feels about the 1999 Constitution implemented under a authoritarian and pro-North regime of Abacha. Abacha unilaterally passed into law a bunch of statutes that had not received the consensus of stakeholders below the river.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by FriendNG: 4:12pm On Dec 16, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

This temperament is exactly how South feels about the 1999 Constitution implemented under a authoritarian and pro-North regime of Abacha. Abacha unilaterally passed into law a bunch of statutes that had not received the consensus of stakeholders below the river.

That was a military regime but we are now in a democratic system
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by FriendNG: 4:14pm On Dec 16, 2017
shervydman:

Why don't u read it before u judge? The confab report is for the benefit of everyone.

Read it, its online...u can download it here
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/national-conference/download-nigeria-2014-national-conference-report-ngconfab-2/

If it was in the interest of every1, they wont have rejected it. I cannot reject what will benefit me. By the way I will read it. It is about 800+ pages
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by princechurchill(m): 4:22pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:

cc mynd44 lalasticlala

Fallacy of hasty conclusion

5 Likes

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by FriendNG: 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2017
princechurchill:

Fallacy of hasty conclusion

Look at you. Where is the hasty conclusion. I watch it live and you are here calling on hasty conclusion.

It is a fact the number of christian rep is greater than that of the Muslim rep.
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by princechurchill(m): 4:31pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:

Look at you. Where is the hasty conclusion. I watch it live and you are here calling on hasty conclusion.

It is a fact the number of christian rep is greater than that of the Muslim rep.

So the reason u rejected the outcome was because of the number of Christians that deliberated over it not the conclusion of the whole matter...one Nigeria indeed

8 Likes

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by BabaRamota1980: 4:35pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:

That was a military regime but we are now in a democratic system

...but the ethnic composition has not changed and neither the cultural distinctions or religious differences.

The issue you brought up is concensus. Whether under colonial, military or civilian the grievance has not changed.

2 Likes

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by FriendNG: 4:37pm On Dec 16, 2017
princechurchill:

So the reason u rejected the outcome was because of the number of Christians that deliberated over it not the conclusion of the whole matter...one Nigeria indeed

Not only that but 1 of it. Since I have the documented one now, I will at my own time be picking and dissecting them one after the other.
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by FriendNG: 4:41pm On Dec 16, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

...but the ethnic composition has not changed and neither the cultural distinctions or religious differences.

The issue you brought up is concensus. Whether under colonial, military or civilian the grievance has not changed.

Agreed. So what you mean now is, what Abacha do as a Military head of state should be replicated in a democratic dispensation? Do you think that will work? The national confab is not the end, it will still be subjected to National Assembly where every constituency is represented.
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by softmind24: 4:43pm On Dec 16, 2017
cool
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by BabaRamota1980: 4:55pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:

Agreed. So what you mean now is, what Abacha do as a Military head of state should be replicated in a democratic dispensation? Do you think that will work? The national confab is not the end, it will still be subjected to National Assembly where every constituency is represented.

I wanted to bring you out of the narrow mindset and look at things broadly from a national standpoint.

It seems your agreement can be accepted as readiness to view the issue objectively.

First, and foremost, do you deny that a regional government is a best option for every zone?

Second, do you have anyway of blocking a Southern President from forcing regionalism and equipping each region for self-dependency?

3 Likes

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 16, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

I wanted to bring you out of the narrow mindset and look at things broadly from a national standpoint.

It seems your agreement can be accepted as readiness to view the issue objectively.

First, and foremost, do you deny that a regional government is a best option for every zone?

Second, do you have anyway of blocking a Southern President from forcing regionalism and equipping each region for self-dependency?
Nice questions.

2 Likes

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by FriendNG: 5:11pm On Dec 16, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

From what I heard the north is doing well better during the time of Sardauna before the Igbo coup that brought us where we are here today. But if u read the confab it is proposing for more states rather.

All ways not just any as per as the southern president is elected and not a military leader. Be it via national assembly or referendum he will be defeated.
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by fabianjay101(m): 5:27pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:

lost soul

1 Like

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by fabianjay101(m): 5:40pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:

it seems like you only took note of the numbers of reps representing both religion and overlooked the common interest of all Nigerians....it's such a shame that I share the same country with people with such mindsets.. we are talking about Nigeria and what will benefit all Nigerians not religion, please go and read the confab report before jumping into conclusion because your mindset irritates me

5 Likes

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by fabianjay101(m): 5:44pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:

Not only that but 1 of it. Since I have the documented one now, I will at my own time be picking and dissecting them one after the other.
how can you have problem with a confab that you haven't read, I see.. kwantinue!

4 Likes

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by kings09(m): 5:46pm On Dec 16, 2017
Wat would u expect from a parasitic region. Let d oil disappear n u ll see the north find their way.
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by BabaRamota1980: 6:49pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:

From what I heard the north is doing well better during the time of Sardauna before the Igbo coup that brought us where we are here today. But if u read the confab it is proposing for more states rather.

All ways not just any as per as the southern president is elected and not a military leader. Be it via national assembly or referendum he will be defeated.

Well, Sardauna is not a reference here. The Constitution is the reference for the political structure and contract.

That Constitution of 57 and 63 were concessions mutually agreed to by all the confederating units. We need to return to that.

That document is still available and the political arrangements, even though modified over the years, are recoverable....in addition to possible referendums in areas wishing to be redefined.

A Constitution is a voice of the people, an aggregate of desires and wishes expressing how they want to relate and interchange. It is not forced, it is negotiated.

You under-estimate the reach of an incumbent executive power. The North as it is now comprises of a Sahel North and a River Basin Middlebelt. An Executive can redefine your North, even in conjunction with the current Legislative advantage and make a shift in political structure.

Its called political power!

You Northerners think you have power...in actuality political power rests in Yorubaland, but we prefer not to disrupt the nation too much and end up loosing the dynamics of security and economy we enjoy currently in the West. If we make a bold move on the Federal Structure we will shock you beyond belief. As always, our security and economy means a lot to us and right now we are not shifting from it but will continue to speak up in support of negotiated outcomes.

1 Like

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by FriendNG: 7:05pm On Dec 16, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

Well, Sardauna is not a reference here. The Constitution is the reference for the political structure and contract.

That Constitution of 57 and 63 were concessions mutually agreed to by all the confederating units. We need to return to that.

That document is still available and the political arrangements, even though modified over the years, are recoverable....in addition to possible referendums in areas wishing to be redefined.

A Constitution is a voice of the people, an aggregate of desires and wishes expressing how they want to relate and interchange. It is not forced, it is negotiated.

You under-estimate the reach of an incumbent executive power. The North as it is now comprises of a Sahel North and a River Basin Middlebelt. An Executive can redefine your North, even in conjunction with the current Legislative advantage and make a shift in political structure.

Its called political power!

You Northerners think you have power...in actuality political power rests in Yorubaland, but we prefer not to disrupt the nation too much and end up loosing the dynamics of security and economy we enjoy currently in the West. If we make a bold move on the Federal Structure we will shock you beyond belief. As always, our security and economy means a lot to us and right now we are not shifting from it but will continue to speak up in support of negotiated outcomes.

You haven't really address my post.

No need to go on sharing more light about the constitution. My reference to the time of Sardauna tells you my knowledge about the then system of government that it was enjoyed by northerners better than the recent system.

Coming to the second part, incumbency means nothing when it comes to a major issue like this except that incumbent is a military dictator.

Despite the diversity of northern Nigeria, such diversity is buried when it comes to collective interest of the north.

If you doubt it, sponsor a motion that will negatively affect one of the states in the north, which you may have consider it to be a lesser north like (Benue and Kwara). Only then you will see the collective force of other northern state.
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by Nobody: 7:10pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:

My reference to the time of Sardauna tells you my knowledge about the then system of government that it was enjoyed by northerners better than the recent system
So, why are they against the confab if the regional system of govt was enjoyed by the northerners than the present system?

2 Likes

Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by FriendNG: 7:11pm On Dec 16, 2017
kings09:
Wat would u expect from a parasitic region. Let d oil disappear n u ll see the north find their way.

With or without oil Nigeria will always be. We will at nearly no oil. $28 per barrel against the usual $100+
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by FriendNG: 7:14pm On Dec 16, 2017
shervydman:

So, why are they against the confab if the regional system of govt was enjoyed by the northerners than the present system?

Read the confab report first. It is recommending for more States.
Re: Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab by BabaRamota1980: 7:39pm On Dec 16, 2017
FriendNG:

You haven't really address my post.

No need to go on sharing more light about the constitution. My reference to the time of Sardauna tells you my knowledge about the then system of government that it was enjoyed by northerners better than the recent system.

Coming to the second part, incumbency means nothing when it comes to a major issue like this except that incumbent is a military dictator.

Despite the diversity of northern Nigeria, such diversity is buried when it comes to collective interest of the north.

If you doubt it, sponsor a motion that will negatively affect one of the states in the north, which you may have consider it to be a lesser north like (Benue and Kwara). Only then you will see the collective force of other northern state.

You have returned to your narrow cocoon. Step out....

From Nigerian standpoint and political structure Sardauna is not the constitution. Discuss technicalities of your reluctance to restructuring...i.e. A return to pre 66 governance. What scares you about the 57 or 63 arrangement?

If nothing scares the North, then why the cold feet about stepping foward to the negotiating table?

The South is ready!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Flashback 2000: Buhari Led A Delegate To Oyo To Protest Killing Of 68 Herdsmen / FG Declares New Format Of Addressing Buhari / 2019: Nigerians React As Atiku Emerges PDP Presidential Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.