Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? (2035 Views)

How Much Is A 2009 Corolla LE Driveshaft / How To Detect Unbalanced Tires In Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by Whynow(m): 11:21am On Dec 17, 2017
Pls i am need of advise on a problem i am currently experiencing on my car.
Kindly let me state the history behind my Lexus RX350 2007 4wd. Beautiful car with a 2GR engine.
This is a car that I have been driving for three years now so i know the importance of OEM parts which i source from CARID and other sites from US, and I hate tokumbo to the core.
I always use mobil 1 advanced. 5W30 till date.
Installed Brand new KYB excel G shocks front and rear....from USA
Brand new OEM ball joints and tierods, inner and outer
New CV axles, had to go to ASPAMDA to get it.
Coil packs and plugs are okay. No misfire. Live data stream is perfect. No vacuum leaks
Exhaust , catalyst efficiency okay no blockage whatsoever.
Transmission changes gears 100% no slipping.
Wheel bearing are okay.
Fuel pump pressure okay.

Dilemma for almost 7 months.
So the problem is the car sort of hessitates and shakes like a hopping movement. It happens
1. Whenever I acccerlerate from stop ie after a traffic stop or trying to increase my speed on the freeway.
2. I fell some form of sensation on the floor board and steering wheel..not really a vibration

Mechanic says there is a a shaky movement of the rear joint on the drive shaft and it be 2 days labour.
I also remembered he has changed a couple of joints on this shaft.

Could this be true and what are your advise...
My car is at gbagada

I am also pen to try a new auto shop.
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by mayor2013: 2:43pm On Dec 17, 2017
Your drive shafts are bad. Did you install a new CV joint or you bought a complete drive shafts? Would advice you get an OEM complete drive shafts inclusive with the CV joint
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by Whynow(m): 6:33am On Dec 18, 2017
Thanks Mayor.
Thanks it's behave same with old cv joint.
I failed to add that its worst when I have people in my car especially sitting in the rear.
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by mayor2013: 6:41am On Dec 18, 2017
Whynow:
Thanks Mayor.
Thanks it's behave same with old cv joint.
I failed to add that its worst when I have people in my car especially sitting in the rear.

Is yours an AWD
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by Whynow(m): 7:58am On Dec 18, 2017
mayor2013:

Is yours an AWD

Yes
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by mayor2013: 11:50am On Dec 18, 2017
Whynow:

Yes

Where do u feel the vibration/sensation from . Front or rear
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by Whynow(m): 12:13pm On Dec 18, 2017
mayor2013:

Where do u feel the vibration/sensation from . Front or rear

It varies on both front and rear. But becomes worse with load. ie with people.

I had my mechanic drive me from work on Friday . A colleague sat in front while I sat behind , and could definately feel the wooble or shake.
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by Whynow(m): 12:42pm On Dec 18, 2017
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by DaimlerBen(m): 6:34pm On Dec 18, 2017
Whynow:
I found this link very useful
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch22/22TSDRIVESHAFT.HTML

Check your engine & transmission mounts and subframe.
Also check your flex disc & driveshaft centre support bearing.
If the flex disc has been changed a couple of times & still gives problems, the mechanic may be installing it the wrong way around.
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by mayor2013: 8:01pm On Dec 18, 2017
Front and rear. Check your propella
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by Whynow(m): 1:21am On Dec 19, 2017
Ok is there a particular way to check if flex disc is installed accurately?

I am no longer enjoying my car.

DaimlerBen:

Check your engine & transmission mounts and subframe.
Also check your flex disc & driveshaft centre support bearing.
If the flex disc has been changed a couple of times & still gives problems, the mechanic may be installing it the wrong way around.
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by Whynow(m): 1:23am On Dec 19, 2017
Mayor pls can you suggest a shop to diagnose issues
mayor2013:
Front and rear. Check your propella
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by sultaan(m): 1:45am On Dec 19, 2017
Try and find out what happens when you accelerate with all 4 wheels off the ground,

Could be a bad sway bar bushing or trans/ motor mount
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by mayor2013: 3:05am On Dec 19, 2017
Whynow:
Mayor pls can you suggest a shop to diagnose issues

Are u in Lagos? If yes check my signature to reach me
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by Whynow(m): 7:13am On Dec 19, 2017
I am currently at gbagada.

mayor2013:

Are u in Lagos? If yes check my signature to reach me
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by DaimlerBen(m): 6:06pm On Dec 19, 2017
Whynow:
Ok is there a particular way to check if flex disc is installed accurately?

I am no longer enjoying my car.

Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by SmartToyota(m): 1:19pm On Dec 20, 2017
The first advice I'll give you is to change your mechanic, some of these mechanics are very dubious thereby not telling you the exact problem so you keep coming back to him because he feels yoi have limited options.
Secondly, i feel your ball joints are bad. You need to change them but if your mechanic say they are good then it the shaft. You need the complete cv shaft. If possible take your car for a scan. You can still come to ASPAMDA to come get genuine briscoe products. You can pm me.
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by Ricmayak1: 2:59pm On Dec 20, 2017
Check tires and wheel bearings.
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by adebowaleadenaya: 6:59pm On Dec 21, 2017
get a panel beater to go under and check d chasis
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by erico2k2(m): 5:59pm On Dec 23, 2017
Whynow:
Pls i am need of advise on a problem i am currently experiencing on my car.
Kindly let me state the history behind my Lexus RX350 2007 4wd. Beautiful car with a 2GR engine.
This is a car that I have been driving for three years now so i know the importance of OEM parts which i source from CARID and other sites from US, and I hate tokumbo to the core.
I always use mobil 1 advanced. 5W30 till date.
Installed Brand new KYB excel G shocks front and rear....from USA
Brand new OEM ball joints and tierods, inner and outer
New CV axles, had to go to ASPAMDA to get it.
Coil packs and plugs are okay. No misfire. Live data stream is perfect. No vacuum leaks
Exhaust , catalyst efficiency okay no blockage whatsoever.
Transmission changes gears 100% no slipping.
Wheel bearing are okay.
Fuel pump pressure okay.

Dilemma for almost 7 months.
So the problem is the car sort of hessitates and shakes like a hopping movement. It happens
1. Whenever I acccerlerate from stop ie after a traffic stop or trying to increase my speed on the freeway.
2. I fell some form of sensation on the floor board and steering wheel..not really a vibration

Mechanic says there is a a shaky movement of the rear joint on the drive shaft and it be 2 days labour.
I also remembered he has changed a couple of joints on this shaft.

Could this be true and what are your advise...
My car is at gbagada

I am also pen to try a new auto shop.
You need to check what you have changed so far. From Experience your rear control or front control Arms could produce these shakings. I had that with my Jeep Liberty in Nigeria.
Now Most Mechanics in Nigeria fail to Torque these control arms at the car's natural riding height, they torque it when the car is jacked up, what this means is once tyre is replaced and car lowered, Bushing gets tore, so the car is in a worse state than it was b4 it was replaced. I had to redo mine by myself
Re: Could This Be An Unbalanced Driveshaft Issue? by erico2k2(m): 6:01pm On Dec 23, 2017
Whynow:

It varies on both front and rear. But becomes worse with load. ie with people.

I had my mechanic drive me from work on Friday . A colleague sat in front while I sat behind , and could definately feel the wooble or shake.
These are your control arms gone south bro.in Mine, it was the rear, when you accelerate the vehicle tend to lean left, when you take ur foot off it goes back to its natural position,

(1) (Reply)

Vehicle Collision, Corrola 2004 And Highlander 2001 / A 142 Error Message On Cat Et? / 50 Units Of Toyota Corolla Neatly Used (2013/15 Models) For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.