Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

Most Memorable Buhari Quotes Of The Year - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Most Memorable Buhari Quotes Of The Year (531 Views)

Sanusi Lamido: Quotable Quotes Of Dethroned Emir Of Kano / Which Of These President Buhari's Quotes Makes You Wonder? / Top 17 Muhammadu Buhari’s Quotes Nigerians Will Always Remember (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Memorable Buhari Quotes Of The Year by zakim(m): 9:51pm On Dec 17, 2017
From President Muhammadu Buhari’s long days out of the country on medical vacation to Nigeria’s slow exit from recession, 2017 remains a remarkable year in the country’s history.

Like a boss, President Buhari had something to say at these defining moments of our national life.

Pulse takes you through President Buhari’s top ten quotes of 2017.
1.The moment Buhari called Lai, Adesina and Shehu liars.

President Muhammadu had travelled to the United Kingdom for a medical vacation. While there were rumours that the President was sick, the trio of Nigeria’s information minister, Lai Mohammed; Buhari’s spokesmen, Femi Adesina and Garba Shehu and others dismissed the rumours.
President Muhammadu Buhari with Femi Adesina, Lai Mohammed, Abike Dabiri play

President Muhammadu Buhari with Femi Adesina, Lai Mohammed, Abike Dabiri and others (Bayo Omoboriowo)

Phone conversations and photo-ops with President Buhari were also staged in a bid to quell growing speculation that Buhari was critically ill or on life support.

However, upon his return, Buhari told members of his cabinet and his political party that he could not recall ever being so ill at any point during his lifetime.

“I couldn’t remember being so sick since I was a young man, including in the military with its ups and downs,” he said at a meeting with government officials on Friday, March 10, 2017.
President Muhammadu Buhari in Aso Rock after his return from London on March 10 2017 play

President Muhammadu Buhari in Aso Rock after his return from London on March 10 2017 (Bayo Omoboriowo)

At the end of his nine-minute speech, President Buhari said that he deliberately came back towards the weekend "so that the vice-president will continue and I will continue to rest".
2. When Buhari attacked Southeast leaders because of Nnamdi Kanu.

President Buhari’s Independence Day speech on October 1, 2017, was described by many as ‘dictator style’.

Many had said President Buhari spoke to Nigerians like a father who travelled (he actually did), came back and met his house in a mess. Imagine the anger.

A little history.

Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) was released and he had wasted no time in continuing with his agitations.
Nnamdi Kanu surrounded by IPOB members. play

Nnamdi Kanu surrounded by IPOB members. (TVC news)

Kanu flouted all his bail conditions and soon began to incite some Igbo youths against the government.

President Buhari had expected the leaders in the Southeast to call Kanu to order.

“I am very disappointed that responsible leaders of these communities do not warn their hot-headed youths what the country went through (during the civil war of the ‘60s). Those who were there should tell those who were not there, the consequences of such folly”, Buhari scolded.
4. Buhari shades the ‘Our Mumu Don Do’ protesters

During President Buhari’s prolonged medical trip in London, a group, Our Mumu Don Do, began a daily sit-out to demand his return to the country or resignation as Nigeria’s leader.
Charly Boy announces suspension of 'Our mumu don do' protest play

Charly Boy announces suspension of 'Our mumu don do' protest

Some members of the group in London had stormed President Buhari’s Abuja House to demand his resumption or resignation on the night of Friday, August 19, 2017.

Did their protest work?

Well, President Buhari returned to the country the next day.
Buhari play
Buhari mock Our Mumu don do protesters (Twitter)

During a meeting with Governors at the presidential villa on Friday, August 26, 2017, Buhari wondered if the protesters were “stuck there with Brexit”.

The president said if those Nigerians eventually sell off their property in the UK, they should bring the proceeds back to Nigeria as the country was in dire need of the money.

“In fact, some groups in London came and sang the national anthem and asked that I should go back home, indeed I have come back home,” Buhari declared.

He had more.

“I hope those who went there are not stuck there, they will come back and join us. Those that are stuck there with the Brexit I hope they have weighed the implications that it won’t affect them including those that have property there, those who are not paying tax here, I hope when they sell their property there they will bring some of the money here. We need it very badly here,” the President announced.
4. Blow a whistle! Buhari said so.

During his 2017 Independence Day speech, President Buhari urged Nigerians to not only keep their whistles handy, but also blow it whenever necessary.
Rivers Governor Nyesom Wike blows a whistle play

Rivers Governor Nyesom Wike blows a whistle (Twitter)

“Fighting corruption is a bottom to top operation,” Buhari began. “I call on all Nigerians to combat corruption at every turn. By not asking for and refusing to accept a bribe, by reporting unethical practices or by blowing a whistle, together we can beat corruption,” Buhari declared.

http://www.pulse.ng/news/local/buharis-10-most-memorable-quotes-of-2017-id7738298.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=daily-2017-12-17&utm_term=newsletter%20daily

Re: Most Memorable Buhari Quotes Of The Year by Nobody: 11:47pm On Dec 17, 2017
Memorable indeed. What a huge mistake we made in 2015.
Re: Most Memorable Buhari Quotes Of The Year by Ramwab94(m): 12:21am On Dec 18, 2017
Bubu is just old and tired, hence his failing memories. Let him prepare to go back to Daura in 1 year and 5months time.
Happy Birthday to him yesterday anyway.
Re: Most Memorable Buhari Quotes Of The Year by dodelight(m): 8:19am On Dec 18, 2017
Memorable Indeed! Yawn! The quotes are so boring. As boring as Bubu himself. Abeg who read am finish? I just couldn't endure it.

(1) (Reply)

How Oyegun Survived The Plot To Remove Him / Again, Fayose Is ‘man Of The Year 2017’ / DSS Denies Reports That Shiite Leader, Ibrahim El-zakzaky, Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.