Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria (63775 Views)

Arsenal Legend Thierry Henry Coronated As Igwe In Nigeria / THIERRY HENRY Crowned Igwe In Nigeria / Thierry Henry Dressed In Igbo Traditional Attire (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 18, 2017

Arsenal legend Thierry Henry has expressed surprise that he was nicknamed “Igwe,” meaning king, by Nigerian fans.

The former France striker said this during his visit to Nigeria over the weekend.

He was hailed “Igwe” by fans as he arrived the Landmark Centre Hall, Lagos, as a guest in the Guinness Made of Black campaign.

According to the former Barcelona star, his ex-teammate Kanu Nwankwo did not inform him he was dubbed such name.

“[Nwankwo] Kanu never told me,” Henry said.

He also said that Kanu was the best African player he had played with due to his technical ability.

“First of all, let me say Lauren (Etame Mayer, former Cameroon international) was very good and I love Lauren to bits. But if you go down to technique, I have to give it to Kanu,” Henry confessed.

“It’s just the truth. Kanu was an underrated player, so humble, nice guy, everything about him was positive.

“We all know that famous turn (Kanu’s dribbling style) that he had, even watching him on television, I was learning (Kanu’s dribbling style). He was always good and a good guy, too.

“Like I said, if we go down to technique, Kanu was very good. Kolo Toure was very tough, Lauren had good technique too until he was moved to right-back.”

http://fstrends.com.ng/2017/12/kanu-never-told-called-igwe-nigeria-henry/

22 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by mdokaba1(m): 3:14pm On Dec 18, 2017
How would kanu have told him, when kanu Himself was/is called "King Kanu" in Portsmouth city till today. So who is now the king?

105 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by obanqua(m): 3:39pm On Dec 18, 2017
King in the North!!!!! grin

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by rozayx5(m): 5:42pm On Dec 18, 2017
Not Igbo

But mehn their dress cool. Fits anyone who wears it

238 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by temitemi1(m): 5:42pm On Dec 18, 2017
Giving Igwe so cheaply I think i deserve to be called igwe too na grin grin grin

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by Kekx(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2017
But, Arsene wenger told Kanu that they use to call you Afonja during training grin

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by alfredo4u(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2017
Nice one
Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by DIKEnaWAR: 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2017
That is not why he was in Arsenal. He was there to play and earn his keep.

3 Likes

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by sureheaven(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2017
Igwe plenty for nija ooo, ask him to explain the category of ur own igwe.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by aleeyus(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2017
Cheapest tribe with cheapest titles

That was Ig**o

I never say IGBO

Please respect!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by Okoyeeboz: 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2017
rozayx5:
Not Igbo

But mehn their dress cool. Fits anyone who wears it

Once you eat well and you're well groomed, even if they use a sack of garri to sew cloth for you, you would stand out.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by shurch(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2017
y
Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by PigBenis(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2017
He was jealous of you

2 Likes

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by Ayodejioak(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2017
grin
Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by IsYou: 5:44pm On Dec 18, 2017
Ok
aleeyus:
Cheapest tribe with cheapest titles

That was Ig**o
Your mumu is 100%,e no get part 2.

124 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 18, 2017
Igweeeeeeeee

7 Likes

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by costandi(m): 5:44pm On Dec 18, 2017
Even DBanj dey claim Igwe. Who Igwe help?
Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by Ruggedfitness: 5:44pm On Dec 18, 2017
He wears the cap like a true son of the soil
Hope we wouldn't start seeing statutes in his name
In Other News
8 Way To Increase Your LifeSpan Before Christmas
www.realfitbody.com/2017/12/8-ways-to-increase-your-life-expectancy.html

2 Likes

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by birdsview(m): 5:45pm On Dec 18, 2017
obanqua:
King in the North!!!!! grin
Game of thrones follower spotted!!!

12 Likes

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by ud4u: 5:45pm On Dec 18, 2017
Welcome to Nigeria Henry

1 Like

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by BadBlaize(m): 5:45pm On Dec 18, 2017
Igweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
I just love the guy

16 Likes

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by Loso777(m): 5:45pm On Dec 18, 2017
My all time favorite footballer

16 Likes

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by arshavineering(m): 5:45pm On Dec 18, 2017
see as Henry resemble Eze ndi mbaise..igwe!!!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by Abeyjide: 5:45pm On Dec 18, 2017
Igweee

4 Likes

Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:45pm On Dec 18, 2017
G
Re: Thierry Henry: Kanu Never Told Me I Was Called Igwe In Nigeria by MetroBaba1(m): 5:46pm On Dec 18, 2017
Ndi Igbos Right Now

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Patrice Evra: "Why Nobody Should Go To Cristiano Ronaldo’s House To Eat" / Picture Of Julius Aghahowa As He Turns 41 / Andre Gomes Injured, Leg Breaks, Players Devastated (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.