Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,839 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:46 AM

It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz (1585 Views)

Hp Envy Corei3 Boothing Problem, Solution Needed Asap.... / IT Gurus In The House: What Is The Difference Between A DMZ And A WAN Port? / Aptech Accp Students Here Plz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by goldenray(m): 12:05pm On Feb 27, 2007
mukadas, cactus,seun, IT gurus, anyone. please what is wrong here? am on the net, browsing well enough. but one particular website does not open. to be specific www.waecdirect.org/, the site for checking results does not open, but it opens in other places. i tried all the pcs in my office[about 15], same result. in a neibouring office, using a different isp, it opened! am sure if you tryit there now it will open quite alright. what is the solution to this? please post suggestions/solutions asap! i kind of suspect some sort of 'foul play' but will hold my peace until i get your comments. by the way, the error that keeps being displayed is 'server timed out'
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by mukadas(m): 4:42pm On Feb 27, 2007
Check d other post tagged ask me,
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by sbucareer(f): 7:15pm On Feb 27, 2007

If your office has a network administrator or an administrated networked check with someone incharge of the network to see if http://www.waecdirect.org/ is not included in the firewall.

Second, check from your browser to see that the site is not listed in the excepted list of the explorer. Since you have tried 15 Pc and all of them are not routing packets to http://www.waecdirect.org/, then talk to your Administrator.

If you do not have an administrator, check the router security config to make sure that some IP's or domain names are not excepted.

You can find your router IP address my typing ipconfig from command line interface and copy the gateway IP, which is your router IP.

Type it in the browser i.e http://<IP> without the less and greater sign. Login to your router interface by providing username and passwd. If you do not know this, it is usually attached at the back of your router. If it is not there try this

Username: admin
passwd: admin/router/password

Once you are in, see the security section and select allow all packets. If it did not work let me know I would tell you more diagnosis we can do.
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by goldenray(m): 9:05am On Feb 28, 2007
Great thinking sbucareer!there's a head on that shoulder. I suspect the same thing but in a different way. let me paint the full scenario for you guys so you understand better. My ISP is located in the same town with me. Incidentally, they own the only Cyber cafe business in town after running others off someway, somehow. Now we are not a cyber cafe, but we do run e-registration services to people.In a way then,we are competition for them in that regard 'cos people prefer coming to us for such things than going to this ISP's cyber cafe. You may be aware that WAEC just released the 2006 nov/dec results.NECO too same. You can imagine the business potential for a large student populated town with only one cyber cafe. The first day the results were released, we here were able to access them, but from the following day, it just would'nt open again.Thats when i started suspecting foul play.

I think my ISP delibrately denied access to that site to divert all such e-registration biz traffic to their cafe(who would know?)
sbucareer, do you think that is possible? 'cos there is no exception to the site here and like i said earlier, it already opened on the first day before ceasing.
This is why i need the network administrators and IT gurus on Nairaland. If we cant solve this problem here, i dont think i can ever solve it.
@sbucareer, i have tried logging on to my router gateway but no authentication. What next guys? I need evidence that these guys delibrately cut this site off. This might turn into a Legal battle. I need your support and help folks. I am sure collectively, we'll end this thread as thewinners.
makadas-thanks. more from you. Seun where u dey? sbucareer, thumbs up!
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by mukadas(m): 7:51pm On Feb 28, 2007
U go there and check d site u are aving problem wth then if the site open dat means they tampered wth urs but don`t let them know dat u are 4 dat mission
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by sbucareer(f): 9:52pm On Feb 28, 2007

There are several ways we can deal with the issue. First your ISP is mad and if I were you I would be considering leaving them, what a chick!

Yes, in my book of success everything in life has a solution to it apart from death (Maybe one day we will find ways to cheating death)

The case is that your ISP has blocked you down through the use of Internet protocol filters, which has been a common tactic used by administrator to secure protected resources on a LAN.

Solutions

1. There are web site Anonymizer that fetches the blocked site page from their server and display it to you. As far as the service provider is concerned you are viewing a page from Anonymizer and not the block site.

2. Use a URL redirection service like tiny.com (Just put url at the end of tiny, the site would not allow me to put it)  or Snipurl. These domain forward services sometimes work as the address in the the url box remain the redirect url and do not change to the banned site

3.  To access the blocked Web site. type the IP number instead of the URL in the address bar. But if the ISP software maps the IP address to the web server (reverse DNS lookup), the website will remain blocked. To get the IP of a site type ping -a www.waecdirect.org in the command line interface

4. Use Google Mobile Search. Google display the normal HTML pages as if you are viewing them on a mobile phone. During the translation, Google removes the javascript content and CSS scripts and breaks a longer page into several smaller pages

5. Enter the URL in Google or Yahoo search and then visit the cached copy of the page. To retrieve the page more quickly from Google's cache, click "Cached Text Only" while the browser is loading the page from cache.

6. A recent Oreilly story on accessing blocked websites suggested an approach to access restricted web sites using Google language tools service as a proxy server. Basically, you have Google translate your page from English to English (or whatever language you like). Assuming that Google isn’t blacklisted in your ISP or cafe, you should be able to access any site with this method.  [url=http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=en|en&u=www.waecdirect.org]Visit waecdirect.org site via Google Proxy[/url]

7. Anonymous Surfing Surf the internet via a proxy server. A proxy server (or proxies) is a normal computer that hides the identity of computers on its network from the Internet. Which means that only the address of the proxy server is visible to the world and not of those computers that are using it to browse the Internet. Just visit the proxy server website with your Web browser and enter a URL (website address) in the form provided.

How to setup a proxy server

1. Browser

Tell me if any of these work for you. Tell me if you want us to bring down his server so that him too will not have customers, wicked man.
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by sbucareer(f): 10:09pm On Feb 28, 2007

If google is not blocked from your ISP use their free proxy server to translate (english to english) pages to google cache and direct your ISP to those cached pages, work fine as long as google is not blocked. i.e

http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=en|en&u=www.forbiddensite.com
(www.forbiddensite.com stands for the URL you need to go to, )

So in our case it would be [url=http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=en|en&u=www.waecdirect.org]http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=en|en&u=www.waecdirect.org[/url]

Good luck and let me know how you manage to sort it out.
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by mukadas(m): 1:51am On Mar 01, 2007
Illegal acts are not allow. do what i post to u and let me get d feed back and we will know d step.but if u insist on bypassin ur isp just count me out
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by sbucareer(f): 3:01am On Mar 01, 2007

There is no illegal behavior or comments logged above. If anybody is acting illegal, it should be the ISP. Their job is to forward and retrieve user request from the internet. The content of the internet packets is none of there business. If the Federal Republic of Nigeria has passed new legislature to mandate ISP to block all access to waecdirect.org, then we would be acting illegal.

You should look at your contract paper with your ISP to see if waecdirect.org was a site that is blacklisted. Till then don't compile your opinion to mean that someone post or comments is illegal, I personally think that it is an insult and need an apology @ mukadas
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by mukadas(m): 4:58am On Mar 01, 2007
Okay.sorry ooo but why can't u call them and tell ur isp d problem u are facing cos u are paying 4 d service. well if u want 2 hide u can download hide ip platinium to bypass ur blocked port and isp firewall.it works alot
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by goldenray(m): 8:45am On Mar 01, 2007
This is becoming more interesting and challenging. Mukadas & sbucareer, I appreciate your contributions so far. You guys are really good! Now having gone carefully through your suggestions, I have carried out two actions:
1. I have dispatched someone to anonymously visit their cafe and try to access the website.
2. i earlier sent a report on the situation to their tech support, but so far I have been on the ignore list

Now Mukadas, what sbucareer suggested is not illegal in anyway as he rightly pointed out. All's fair in war, especially if you are on the defensive and being unjustly attacked. Once i get the feedback from my emmissary, I will launch into attack with the 'sbucareer strategy', before i switch ISP.
As soon as i get the feedback, will post it,
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by mukadas(m): 9:23am On Mar 01, 2007
Ok.dats good i promise if u get them i will teach u aw to suspend d isp 4 some months
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by sbucareer(f): 10:53am On Mar 01, 2007

Apology accepted @ mukadas. Mukadas, you work at the computer village, how much is a brand new computer with AMD/Pentium 4 from 2GHz with RAM of 512/1GB and hard drive of 60/80GB with a flat screen of 17inch?

Also can you tell me how much is a network printer of at least 600 x 600 dots-per-inch - up to 2400 Image Quality and could print up to 35 A4 paper per minute?

Finally, photocopier with both black and white and color. All these are brand new or nearly to new.
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by goldenray(m): 2:41pm On Mar 01, 2007
ok guys: This is it: It was a deliberate attempt. What next? If the next info you are going to paste will involve procedures that other viewers can misuse or use for their own advantage, or for other dubiuos purpose, i suggest you just mail it to me at bonziekay@yahoo.com. Funny how some individuals can be greedy isn't it?
@sbucareer will also try to get the info you need from an independent dealer.
Re: It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz by mukadas(m): 11:12pm On Mar 04, 2007
Any info at all

(1) (Reply)

Watch Live Tv Chanels On Your Mobile.modified 13/07/2010 time 8:03pm / Toshiba L640 Driver Help For Windows 7 / Why Can't This Be Done To Insure Cheap Broadband In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.