Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,800 members, 7,810,080 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

IT Gurus In The House: What Is The Difference Between A DMZ And A WAN Port? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / IT Gurus In The House: What Is The Difference Between A DMZ And A WAN Port? (758 Views)

Whats The Difference Between Core's And Celeron Processors ? / What Is The Difference Between LAPTOPS And NOTEBOOK? / It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IT Gurus In The House: What Is The Difference Between A DMZ And A WAN Port? by Standing5(m): 11:40am On Dec 02, 2013
I was wondering what the difference between a DMZ and a WAN port. Little research i have made says DMZ is for some form of Local Sever within a network that needs to be treated, to an extent, as a remotely hosted server, but i can't seem to pin point those features that makes makes a DMZ port unique from WAN ports.
I need Gurus who can point out why a WAN port can't replace a DMZ port.
Thanks.
Re: IT Gurus In The House: What Is The Difference Between A DMZ And A WAN Port? by Standing5(m): 11:40am On Dec 02, 2013
FTCers aren't welcomed here. Pls take note
Re: IT Gurus In The House: What Is The Difference Between A DMZ And A WAN Port? by ITbomb(m): 2:00pm On Dec 02, 2013
First of all you have colonized the FTC sit so why the waring again.
As you might have known , DMZ is the Demilitarized Zone of your network
Sitting in between your Local network servers and the Internet is your Firewall and its work is just to prevent access to your secured servers.
So you place your secured servers on the 'inside network' allowing access to only hosts on the inside network while denying access from the outside/internet.

However if you want your server to be access from outside (eg email servers) , you dont put them inside the network (no matter what security policy you want to enforce) , you put them in the DMZ port
Re: IT Gurus In The House: What Is The Difference Between A DMZ And A WAN Port? by Standing5(m): 5:59pm On Dec 02, 2013
So in summary, DMZ port should house whatever is of interest to those from the WAN side.
Re: IT Gurus In The House: What Is The Difference Between A DMZ And A WAN Port? by ITbomb(m): 8:34pm On Dec 02, 2013
Standing5: So in summary, DMZ port should house whatever is of interest to those from the WAN side.
If I get u correctly , whatever u have that would be access from outside/WAN should be on the DMZ port while ur enterprise servers n other hosts are safe inside the LAN network

(1) (Reply)

NA / New Domain Name (.ws) And It's Free. / Pls Help, My Laptop Is Acting Up!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.