Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,500 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare (8356 Views)

The Leader And The Led By Niyi Osundare - Analysis Of The Poem / JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by Mariangeles(f): 8:50am On Dec 21, 2017
Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by emonkey(m): 8:53am On Dec 21, 2017
maryjames9:

Typical African youth who love nothing but money. Even billionaires of this generation are great readers. Guy, change your orientation, buy a few books and start reading.

Try buying "a few books" without money grin grin grin
Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by kingdenny(m): 9:03am On Dec 21, 2017
Rashield8:

Professor Niyi Osundare is not some random "dude". I shake my head for this generation!

I never heard bout him. Everyone doesn't do poetry or literature.
No one knows or has seen it all.
Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by bolakale30(m): 9:31am On Dec 21, 2017
Osundare is an excellent Poet, however, to criticise Soyinka on stylistics ground reeks of Negritude nonsense. Style is purely a personal thing, I can be an African yet choose to make my stylistic and thematic preoccupation euro-centric. It doesn't make me a betrayer of the cause. Soyinka had already replied this criticism before it was ever made; "A tiger doesn't proclaim it tigrititude"

1 Like

Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by Opiletool(m): 9:33am On Dec 21, 2017
“We respect the first generation of writers, surely. But they all operated within the cultural and epistemological milieu in their time. Ours was a little different. I read Soyinka’s The Road, then I read Idanre and other Poems. They were tough. I asked, ‘Isn’t it possible to say this in a simpler and equally effective way? JP Clark had given us some poems that actually led us effortlessly through the channels of communicability – that it is possible to really think in a way that is easily understood by others.

I aagree to that. Wole Soyinka's poem have been giving people headache since like forever.

1 Like

Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by Ishilove: 6:48pm On Dec 21, 2017
Rashield8:

Professor Niyi Osundare is not some random "dude". I shake my head for this generation!
Blame social media
Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by Ishilove: 6:53pm On Dec 21, 2017
AryaSand:

Don't mind them. When they won't buy and read books.
How can they buy and read books when they have twitter, Instagram and facebook?

1 Like

Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by Ishilove: 7:02pm On Dec 21, 2017
Beautiful article.

I agree that Wole Soyinka's works are complicated and not for the average reader, I wouldn't have it any other way. They aren't a cakewalk but that's the beauty of it. I'm a super fan and I have never found his poetry and prose difficult to understand. Their wonderful complexity is what has made me a superfan of the master wordsmith himself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 21, 2017
Ishilove:
Beautiful article.

I agree that Wole Soyinka's works are complicated and not for the average reader, I wouldn't have it any other way. They aren't a cakewalk but that's the beauty of it. I'm a super fan and I have never found his poetry and prose difficult to understand. Their wonderful complexity is what has made me a superfan of the master wordsmith himself
That is why he is my First Love. I've got mad crush on him which my friends find weird. You dare not insult Soyinka, Vladmir Putin or Keanu Reeves where I am. I'll go 3rd world war on you. Lol!

1 Like

Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 21, 2017
emonkey:

Try buying "a few books" without money grin grin grin
And most of these books are not that expensive, you can get them for 5k at good book stores. Buying just one book in a month won't dent your pocket. The store where I buy my books organise occasional book readings where you get to meet the authors and have conversations with them which I usually look forward to.

1 Like

Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by Ishilove: 9:19pm On Dec 21, 2017
AryaSand:

That is why he is my First Love. I've got mad crush on him which my friends find weird. You dare not insult Soyinka, Vladmir Putin or Keanu Reeves where I am. I'll go 3rd world war on you. Lol!
Soyinka, I understand, Keanu Reeves, I totally understand (I've been crushing on him since I was 12) cheesy

But Vladimir Putin?? undecided

Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 21, 2017
Ishilove:

Soyinka, I understand, Keanu Reeves, I totally understand (I've been crushing on him since I was 12) cheesy

But Vladimir Putin?? undecided
He's badass.

1 Like

Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by Ishilove: 9:37pm On Dec 21, 2017
AryaSand:

He's badass.
So you like 'em mean?

*wink wink* wink
Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by emonkey(m): 8:33am On Dec 22, 2017
AryaSand:

And most of these books are not that expensive, you can get them for 5k at good book stores. Buying just one book in a month won't dent your pocket. The store where I buy my books organise occasional book readings where you get to meet the authors and have conversations with them which I usually look forward to.

5k will these days feed a lot of families in Nigeria for 2 weeks, my dear.
Re: Our Rebellion Against Soyinka, Achebe – Osundare by bolakale30(m): 11:25am On Dec 24, 2017
emonkey:

5k will these days feed a lot of families in Nigeria for 2 weeks, my dear.
Hilarious but the harsh reality of the current state of the country.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Game Of The Heart / Tade Ipadeola Wins 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature / {hindi Diwas Kavita} Hindi Diwas 2016 Kavita, Hindi Pakhwada Diwas Poem, Rhymes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.