Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,728 members, 7,816,995 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them (10731 Views)

Ruling On Muslims Congratulating One Another On The Occasion Of The Gregorian NY / Islamic Way Of Congratulating Parent On The Occasion Of Birth / Reminder: Ruling On Congratulating Non Muslim On Their Festival Celebration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by bolseas(f): 1:05pm On Dec 22, 2017
Fundamentalist:

Al-Bayyinah 98:6

إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا مِنْ أَهْلِ ٱلْكِتَٰبِ وَٱلْمُشْرِكِينَ فِى نَارِ جَهَنَّمَ خَٰلِدِينَ فِيهَآۚ أُولَٰٓئِكَ هُمْ شَرُّ ٱلْبَرِيَّةِ

Indeed, they who disbelieved among the People of the Scripture (jews and christains ) and the polytheists will be in the fire of Hell, abiding eternally therein. Those are the worst of creatures

Owkay... Thanks.

Is it those who believe in the Prophet Muhammed (SAW) or Allah?

Thanks in advance
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 22, 2017
Lukgaf:
Praise be to Allaah.

Greeting the kuffaar on Christmas and other religious holidays of theirs is haraam, by consensus, as Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on him, said in Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah: "Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah."

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not aceept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
"If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. . ."
[al-Zumar 39:7]

". . . This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion . . ."
[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions, because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-siraat al-mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak."

Whoever does anything of this sort is a sinner, whether he does it out of politeness or to be friendly, or because he is too shy to refuse, or for whatever other reason, because this is hypocrisy in Islaam, and because it makes the kuffaar feel proud of their religion.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to make the Muslims feel proud of their religion, to help them adhere steadfastly to it, and to make them victorious over their enemies, for He is the Strong and Omnipotent.

Majmoo’ah Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/369)

https://islamqa.info/en/947
the haters message causing hatrwd and lack of peace in Nigeria. For Christ the law is live bless those who curse you and pray for those who persecute you. I prefer that one that hating others because of their belive. God so love the world he sent Jesus

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 22, 2017
smulti:

allahkubaru

who woke u up from sleep

You didn't answer my question
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by uvalued(m): 1:58pm On Dec 22, 2017
Al munafiqoon = muslim,.

Let all Muslim almajiri not come and beg no sing those stupid almajiri song in my house front... And by the way who gives a bleep ...keep your all munafiqoon greetings...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Fundamentalist: 2:21pm On Dec 22, 2017
sino:

I am sure you read the narration presented to explain what the verse meant?! Why not give a better understanding of the verse?!

And, I am a Muslim!

You should answer my question please , how should you reply such greeting ?
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Fundamentalist: 2:28pm On Dec 22, 2017
Evildoer:

Terrorist cheesy cheesy

Why should I reply you when your username suggests worse
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Rashduct4luv(m): 2:31pm On Dec 22, 2017
Dindondin:
losers.
Christians that celebrate Christmas don't care abt contrary beliefs. We won't mind if you don't greet. As for your quote of Pastor Kumuyi of Deeper Life, that's his own personal conviction.
Even though the origin of Christmas is pagan, we v decided to chose a common day to celebrate Jesus. That day is Dec 25th. This doesn't make Christians that celebrate it kufr. And that word kufr is funny. I return it back to extremist Muslims that they are the real kufr.

Among your Muslims, don't we v people with contrary or different practices?

To you is your religion and to me is mine. Buy gala for me i go chop but Xmas food am out!

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Dindondin(m): 2:38pm On Dec 22, 2017
Rashduct4luv:

To you is your religion and to me is mine. Buy gala for me i go chop but Xmas food am out!
I won't even invite you for dinner for your reasoning is affected by your religion. You that can allow your son marry my daughter but can't allow my son marry your daughter. You are very funny. Soon, you guys ll claim for Islamic Republic of Nigeria & abolishment for the use of English to be replaced by Arabic.
The earlier the better you know that Allah didn't create Muslims alone in this world.

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Rashduct4luv(m): 2:42pm On Dec 22, 2017
Dindondin:
I won't even invite you for dinner for your reasoning is affected by your religion. You that can allow your son marry my daughter but can't allow my son marry your daughter. You are a very funny you know. Soon, you guys ll claim for Islamic Republic of Nigeria & abolishment for the use of English to be replaced by Arabic.
The earlier the better you ll know that Allah didn't create Muslims alone in this world.

That's your P. I relate with Christians wella but when it comes to my religion...

Why cant you face you religion and let me face mine? Na compulsory make we chop pagan celebration food?
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by sino(m): 2:47pm On Dec 22, 2017
Fundamentalist:

You should answer my question please , how should you reply such greeting ?

Making reference to the Yoruba form of greeting in terms of respect for elders would only be reciprocated with what is culturally acceptable, that is, they are to respond accordingly, of course, the prostration isn't the greeting per se, for if I prostrate and didn't say a word, it may be misconstrued. Greetings are verbally communicated, and this is what the verse in question is addressing.
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Dindondin(m): 2:56pm On Dec 22, 2017
Rashduct4luv:

That's your P. I relate with Christians wella but when it comes to my religion...

Why cant you face you religion and let me face mine? Na compulsory make we chop pagan celebration food?
Cry, cry & cry more. I didn't care to invite you. I didn't force you to change religion. You v told me you don't need care. So don't reject Christmas food, reject other gifts given on Christmas. You this child of hate!

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Fundamentalist: 3:15pm On Dec 22, 2017
sino:

Making reference to the Yoruba form of greeting in terms of respect for elders would only be reciprocated with what is culturally acceptable, that is, they are to respond accordingly, of course, the prostration isn't the greeting per se, for if I prostrate and didn't say a word, it may be misconstrued. Greetings are verbally communicated, and this is what the verse in question is addressing.

So when you discovered that you can't escape you decided to make it cultural, abi.

Double standard
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Housing(m): 3:26pm On Dec 22, 2017
According to the Holy Quran the Christians are called the people of the Book. We are allowed food given to us by them. Once we are allowed to eat their food why can't we greet them. Many Christians rejoice and greet Muslims during Eider -Il Fitri and Eid-il Adha. We can't we reciprocate that. We are enjoined to reciprocate good with good and be patient and avoid retaliation for bad deeds. I have been on social media defending the Hijab lady Amasa Firdaus and I do adhere to Quran and Hadiths but no Hadiths or Fatwa is superior to the verdict of the Holy Quran. Once Quran allows Muslims to eat their food greeting them should not be a sin. That Hadiths of you are doing like a group you are a member of the group is not enough. As it is not an act of worship but socialization, which is within the confined of the permissible in Islam.

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Shegricho: 3:39pm On Dec 22, 2017
And we keep paying attention to uselessness.
That declaration though, doesn't scare me one bit.
Shior, who greeting epp! Has it stopped the wickedness going on in the world??
These guys should just try get a life jor.
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Evildoer: 3:45pm On Dec 22, 2017
Fundamentalist:

Why should I reply you when your username suggests worse

You already replied na!

Hateful terrorist!
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 22, 2017
Shegricho:
And we keep paying attention to uselessness.

That declaration though, doesn't scare me one bit.

Shior, who greeting epp!
Has it stopped the wickedness going on in the world??

These guys should just try get a life jor.
but Islam acknowledge Jesus born of a Virgin birth so why the hate in some quotas of Islam. Why are some Muslims interested in impregnating Christian girls

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by sino(m): 3:48pm On Dec 22, 2017
Fundamentalist:

So when you discovered that you can't escape you decided to make it cultural, abi.

Double standard

Bro, it is either you present a better understanding of the verse or you just ignore. Where is the double standard?! Are greetings not cultural too?! Or is it only Muslims that are to greet each other ni?! "e ka ro" is replied to with "e ka ro" and to reply with something better (according to the verse) may include, "se dada lo ji" or "oju mo re" these are Yoruba greetings...Prostration, kissing of the feet, hugging, handshakes etc. are cultural practices or forms of greetings peculiar to different cultures. You tend to apply these forms of greetings according to your culture, and if you find yourself in another culture you learn these forms of greetings and apply accordingly.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Evildoer: 4:15pm On Dec 22, 2017
sino:

Bro, it is either you present a better understanding of the verse or you just ignore. Where is the double standard?! Are greetings not cultural too?! Or is it only Muslims that are to greet each other ni?! "e ka ro" is replied to with "e ka ro" and to reply with something better (according to the verse) may include, "se dada lo ji" or "oju mo re" these are Yoruba greetings...Prostration, kissing of the feet, hugging, handshakes etc. are cultural practices or forms of greetings peculiar to different cultures. You tend to apply these forms of greetings according to your culture, and if you find yourself in another culture you learn these forms of greetings and apply accordingly.

You're conversing with a hate-filled intolerant terrorist not a true Muslim!
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Rashduct4luv(m): 4:55pm On Dec 22, 2017
Dindondin:
Cry, cry & cry more. I didn't care to invite you. I didn't force you to change religion. You v told me you don't need care. So don't reject Christmas food, reject other gifts given on Christmas. You this child of hate!

Christmas has no basis from the bible so why the heck are you forcing it on us?

We reject your pagan celebration.
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Olizey(m): 6:29pm On Dec 22, 2017
You no dey hear word guy. Who's forcing it on you? It's simple. As you don't want to collect Christmas food from Christians, do not collect any other thing from Christians too. Any thing other than that is pure hypocrisy.
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Dindondin(m): 6:29pm On Dec 22, 2017
Rashduct4luv:

Christmas has no basis from the bible so why the heck are you forcing it on us?

We reject your pagan celebration.
See this human being. You are the one that ll tell me how I celebrate events. I choose dates by myself. 25th of December, a popular day was chosen by me for a popular birthday. Who are you to question my beliefs?
You don't want my food, I m okay. It ll be given to those that care & the excess ll be consumed by myself till belefull.
Have paracetamol if you v headache!

Some fanatic Muslims pick issues btw Christian bodies like Christmas & Tithing to talk thereby exhibiting their ignorance.
It's people like you that quote parts of the Bible that you didn't quote completely to confuse people about Christian teachings.
Go get knowledge!
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by HndFca: 7:47pm On Dec 22, 2017
This world would have been a better place for all to live if there is no Islamic practice. All war that is happening over the world is Orchestrated by Islam. Where is the peace in ur religion?
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by semyman: 8:49pm On Dec 22, 2017
Praktikals:
Jesus is the ONLY way to eternal life
I can confirm for free that if that same Jesus reincarnates today and demand of you his teachings as he did back in the days, you will be worse than Judas Iscariot
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Praktikals(m): 9:18pm On Dec 22, 2017
Fundamentalist:

Don't die a disbeliever
Accept the true religion of the creator
grin grin grin
Jesus is the creator. Jesus is God.
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Maeka(m): 10:06pm On Dec 22, 2017
Arrant nonsense...hungry Neva worry una yet...
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Rashduct4luv(m): 7:01am On Dec 23, 2017
Dindondin:

See this human being. You are the one that ll tell me how I celebrate events. I choose dates by myself. 25th of December, a popular day was chosen by me for a popular birthday. Who are you to question my beliefs?
You don't want my food, I m okay. It ll be given to those that care & the excess ll be consumed by myself till belefull.
Have paracetamol if you v headache!

Some fanatic Muslims pick issues btw Christian bodies like Christmas & Tithing to talk thereby exhibiting their ignorance.
It's people like you that quote parts of the Bible that you didn't quote completely to confuse people about Christian teachings.
Go get knowledge!

I no dey fight you. If Christmas date is not available in the Bible as you said, who picked the date? Why December 25th?

Well, I guess u don't care!

To you is your religion and to me is mine.

No fight.
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by udatso: 10:53am On Dec 23, 2017
AlBaqir:
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG IN CONGRATULATING NON-MUSLIM (CHRISTIANS) ON THEIR FESTIVITY

Summary and English translation of Shaykh Abdullah Bin Bayyah’s fatwa on Muslims congratulating non-Muslims on their holidays:

This issue is without a doubt a very important and sensitive one, especially for Muslims living in the West.

Many questions have been posed to the [European] Council [for Fatwa and Research] from brothers and sisters living in those lands. They coexist with non-Muslims and have established many ties with them as part of life such as being house neighbors, working together in jobs, and studying in school together.

Sometimes a Muslim can feel the favors of the non-Muslim upon them, as in the teacher who assists Muslim students with sincerity, the doctor who treats Muslim patients also with sincerity, etc. As the saying goes, the human being is imprisoned by good treatment, and the poet said:

Do good to people and you will possess their hearts For doing good has always enslaved the human being

What is the position of Muslims in relation to non-Muslims who are peaceful with them, do not sow enmity against them, do not fight them in their religion, and have not driven them out of their homes nor have supported ones who try to do so?

The Quran has established a basis for the relationship between Muslims and non-Muslims in two verses from the Book of God the Exalted, which were revealed in relation to polytheists:
“God does not forbid you to deal kindly and justly with anyone who has not fought you for your faith or driven you out of your homes: God loves the just. But God forbids you to take as allies those who have fought against you for your faith, driven you out of your homes, and helped others to drive you out: any of you who take them as allies will truly be wrongdoers.” [60:8-9]

So the two verses distinguished between those who are peaceful with Muslims and those who are not.

As for the first ones (those who are peaceful), the verse has legislated having kindness and just treatment with them. [But the Arabic words used in the verse imply more than this] because the word “qist” means justice, and the word “birr” means doing good with an extra measure of it, which is higher than justice. [The concept of] justice means you take what is rightfully yours, whereas “birr” means you concede some of your rights. In other words, justice, i.e., "qist", is to give a person their due right without any diminishment, but kind treatment, i.e., "birr", [mentioned in the verse] means you give a person more than their due right as an act of virtue.

As for the others mentioned in the second verse, they are those who have declared enmity with Muslims and fought them, and driven them out of their homes without the right to do so except for having declared:

Our Lord is God! This is what Quraysh and the polytheists in Mecca did with the Messenger (s) and his companions.

[Also, note here] that the Quran used the word for kind treatment, i.e., “birr”, for the relationship with those who are peaceful, which is the same word used for the greatest obligation upon the human being after fulfilling the right of God the Exalted; the right of “birr” towards parents.

Moreover, the permissibility of congratulating non-Muslims on their holidays is more confirmed in the case that they also congratulate Muslims on Islamic
holidays. We have been commanded to return good with good, and to respond to a greeting with one that is better than it, or at least the same as it. The Exalted said:
“But [even in battle] when you [believers] are offered a greeting, respond with a better one, or at least return it.” [4:86]

So it is not befitting for a Muslim to be less generous or have a lower status of good character than others. A Muslim is supposed to be the one who is most kind and having the noblest character as it has been transmitted in the Hadith:

“The most complete in faith among the believers are those ones with the noblest character.”

As well as the other statement of the Messenger (s): “I was only sent to complete noble character traits.”

The Prophet (s) had a noble character and a generous in relationship with the polytheists of Quraysh despite their harm towards him and gathering against him and his companions.

[Lastly] the usual words used to congratulate during these occasions do not entail acceptance or adopting of non-Muslim creed. They are simply words of courtesy that are customary during these occasions. There is also no deterrent from accepting gifts from them and rewarding them with gifts in return, because the Prophet (s) accepted gifts from non-Muslims, with the condition that these gifts are not that which would be impermissible for a Muslim, such as alcohol or swine meat.

[It should be mentioned] that we are not for Muslims celebrating the religious holidays of polytheists or People of the Book. We see some heedless Muslims celebrating Christmas the same way they celebrate Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Ad’ha, or even more. This is not permissible because we have our religious holidays and they have their religious holidays. But we do not see harm in congratulating people on their religious holidays for those who have social relationships with them.

www.nairaland.com/2061345/fatwa-muslims-congratulating-non-muslims-holidays
If you want to use ShIA view to justify this go ahead but it's very dishonest of you to bring 1 scholar out of the many scholars of sunni as if 1 is greater than all the rest that hold a different viewpoint. We do not cheer them on in kufr. لا طاعة في معصية الله
It's not intolerance, it's choosing between obedience to your lord and making the unbelievers happy.
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by AlBaqir(m): 11:08am On Dec 23, 2017
udatso:

If you want to use ShIA view to justify this go ahead but it's very dishonest of you to bring 1 scholar out of the many scholars of sunni as if 1 is greater than all the rest that hold a different viewpoint. We do not cheer them on in kufr. لا طاعة في معصية الله
It's not intolerance, it's choosing between obedience to your lord and making the unbelievers happy.

# First, what does this has to do with "shia"? You guys are just too obsessed with Shiism. Even if I discuss football, your sense will be "shia".

# Second, where is it written that majority carry the vote in Islamic interpretation and understanding? And who told you it is only 1 scholar of Sunni that brought forth such submission? That's how you people claim falsehood to impose your whims.

# What I expect you to do is to counter the claims of that Sheik if you think he's wrong, and not revealing your frustrations.

Please grow up, and respect other's view.

# Here's Facebook page of Al Azhar fatwa centre. You can read their fatwa there approving greeting non-muslims on their festivals:

https://m.facebook.com/fatwacenter.en/?refid=52&__tn__=C-R
Re: Ruling On Celebrating Non-muslim Holidays And Congratulating Them by Dindondin(m): 11:24am On Dec 23, 2017
Rashduct4luv:

If Christmas date is not available in the Bible as you said, who picked the date? Why December 25th?

Well, I guess u don't care!

No fight.
The Roman Catholic did. Dec 25th was chosen to erase the pagan celebration & make that day memorable for something good. I do care about its origin, so dats why I enquired about it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can I Be Waliyy (saint) Because My Dad Is Waliyy ? / Allah Does Not Answer My Prayers.. Why? / Happy Birthday, Not !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.