Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,645 members, 7,820,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X (12625 Views)

China’s Car Brand, Aiways U5 All Electric SUV Is Set To Debut In Europe / Meet Rivian All-electric SUV That Boasts A Better Mileage Than Tesla's Model X / Mercedes Rented & Dismantled Tesla Model X Ahead Of Its Own Electric SUV Launch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by Aringon(m): 7:59am On Dec 23, 2017
Teedawg:
You know what chinese products can do right? I repeat do not buy chinco flagship replicas
What do you know about China and her products? The laptop or phone you are using to type this rubbish is from China

1 Like

Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by seguno2: 8:22am On Dec 23, 2017
wickyyolo:
I'm ashamed of us

I am not sure that you are ashamed.
Are you actively avoiding the attitudes, activities and behaviour that are making you ashamed of ourselves while promoting and practicing those that will make you proud of ourselves
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:22am On Dec 23, 2017
Exciton:
Everyone is moving forward apart from this fvcking sh!thole country where the average man believes one can magically transform limbs into bank notes. Low quality people in this country has us at least 500-1000 years behind.

Not politically correct but I agree with you.
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by seguno2: 8:23am On Dec 23, 2017
directonpc:

Sure! The younger generation. I will like to get a car between 2018 and 2019, it will make a lot of sense if electric cars become a wide trend by then.

Designed, manufactured and maintained by Nigerians?
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by seguno2: 8:24am On Dec 23, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Are you and the poster you quoted among the low quality people?
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by directonpc(m): 8:28am On Dec 23, 2017
seguno2:

Designed, manufactured and maintained by Nigerians?
You are getting me wrong.
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by elshanAutos: 8:36am On Dec 23, 2017
directonpc:
Who knows our first cars might be electric or those of our children and younger ones.

Extra
Never run out of airtime or means of carryout transactions! Get this app thank me later.

Download the app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buildbrothers.ussdbanking
When will this be available on iOS ?
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by directonpc(m): 8:38am On Dec 23, 2017
elshanAutos:
When will this be available on iOS ?
early next year!
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by wickyyolo: 8:41am On Dec 23, 2017
seguno2:

I am not sure that you are ashamed.
Are you actively avoiding the attitudes, activities and behaviour that are making you ashamed of ourselves while promoting and practicing those that will make you proud of ourselves

I'm in the IT field and I'm already running projects in South that will change the landscape of ICT in future.
I believe I am making an impact

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by Weareone202: 8:52am On Dec 23, 2017
Una well done
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by tolexy123: 9:03am On Dec 23, 2017
directonpc:
Who knows our first cars might be electric or those of our children and younger ones.

Extra
Never run out of airtime or means of carryout transactions! Get this app thank me later.

Download the app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buildbrothers.ussdbanking
Nice app
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:06am On Dec 23, 2017
seguno2:

Are you and the poster you quoted among the low quality people?

No
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by yanshDoctor: 9:20am On Dec 23, 2017
oil producing nation, Africans and underdeveloped countries will continue to use fuel cars for another 300 years. only the develop world and countries that has no fuel but electricity would want to switch.

although this will affect oil sales to about 50%.
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by directonpc(m): 9:26am On Dec 23, 2017
tolexy123:
Nice app
Thanks! U can help me by rating it on Google play store too.
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by nateevs(m): 10:13am On Dec 23, 2017
directonpc:
You are getting me wrong.

Indeed. And I wonder why. What you meant from the first post was very clear.
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by Nobody: 10:30am On Dec 23, 2017
obafemee80:
[img]https:///a/img924/5859/KmUaXz.jpg[/img]

[img]https:///a/img923/1883/3IUFaW.jpg[/img]

[img]https:///a/img924/1407/oCvAjC.jpg[/img]

Chinese automaker NIO (formerly NextEV) officially launched its first true production car, an all-electric dual-motor SUV called the ES8.
The NIO ES8 comes standard with an adaptive air suspension and an all-aluminum body. The model also boasts a double-A-arm front suspension, multi-link rear suspension, and Brembo brake calipers up front.

Not to be outdone in the tech game, the ES8 features a host of sensors for assisted driving. These sensors include four exterior cameras, a front-facing trifocal camera, five millimeter-wave radars, a driver monitor camera, and 12 ultrasonic sensors.

It’s the first vehicle in the world to come with Mobileye’s latest EyeQ4 chip technology as well as NOMI, an artificial intelligence system. NIO says its driver assistance system supports over-the-air updates so its vehicles can gain new features as they become available.

[img]https:///a/img922/8528/VLiiZF.jpg[/img]

[img]https:///a/img922/8096/rSkwF7.jpg[/img]

The ES8,a seven-seat crossover boasts a 70-kilowatt-hour battery pack powers two motors for an output of 644 hp and 620 lb-ft of torque,with a range of 355 kilometers(220 miles).It can hit zero to 62 mph in 4.4 seconds,compared to Tesla's Model X P100D 60 mph in 2.9 seconds.

One of the many advantages of the ES8 over tesla's Model X is that it can be charged via a service vehicle that travels to you.
Or You can switch out the batteries at a power-swap station in just three minutes.
You can also rent batteries with Nio's rental service for 1,200 yuan (£135) a month.

The New Nio ES8 is on sale for £50,000, compare to £94,700 you need for a Tesla Model X,and that’s before subsidies and incentives that can bring down the cost of the ES8 by at least another $6,600. While Tesla has sold its cars in China for a few years, they aren’t eligible for these incentives and subsidies because they’re imported.

Tesla is reported to have reached an agreement to build a factory in China, while other automakers have formed partnerships with existing Chinese manufacturers in order to tap into the large market.

What do you think of the new ES8 All-Electric SUV?

Source : https://autojosh.com/nio-launches-es8-electric-suv-cost-half-price-teslas-model-x/

Gimmicks to draw investors to invest more n more into solar n electric cars.
Crude oil will still be around for a very long time. Man hasn't even been able to stop using coal(for the past 500 years).... Talk more of crude oil that has as much as 10 different uses.

1 Like

Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by Nobody: 10:51am On Dec 23, 2017
ok.
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by symbianDON(m): 4:27pm On Dec 23, 2017
otokx:

Looking at the Nigerian situation, we may be going back to horses, camels, donkeys and canoes - no petrol, no noise, environmental friendly.
where are the horses, donkeys and camels sef? the way I'm seeing it bros...na trekking levels we de go so o
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by Exciton(m): 5:21pm On Dec 23, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

I now see why you disagree with the article I shared some time ago. Political correctness.

There's simply no nice and gentle way of telling people they're ignorant and wallow in intellectual squalor. Just look at the quality of news/discussion in Naija social media, the sort of shallow [sexual] jokes that gets Nigerians laughing on Twitter and Instagram, the constant use of "African culture" [which is nothing but ignorance and anti-intellectualism dressed in 'iro and buba' of culture] to oppose learning, liberalism and development etc etc. If we don't face facts and work hard to gain proper scientific and political knowledge, we will never develop.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 5:23pm On Dec 23, 2017
Exciton:

I now see why you disagree with the article I shared some time ago. Political correctness.

There's simply no nice and gentle way of telling people they're ignorant and wallow in intellectual squalor. Just look at the quality of news/discussion in Naija social media, the sort of shallow [sexual] jokes that gets Nigerians laughing on Twitter and Instagram, the constant use of "African culture" [which is nothing but ignorance and anti-intellectualism dressed in 'iro and buba' of culture] to oppose learning, liberalism and development etc etc. If we don't face facts and work hard to gain proper scientific and political knowledge, we will never develop.
I didn't like the article also, but for the reason that the writer was just zig zagging round the whole issue without structure, the writer should spend a few weeks on the economist or WaPo and see how lengthy articles can be written in style.
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by Exciton(m): 5:36pm On Dec 23, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
I didn't like the article also, but for the reason that the writer was just zig zagging round the whole issue without structure, the writer should spend a few weeks on the economist or WaPo and see how lengthy articles can be written in style.

Okay, to be clear, you didn't like the article for the writing style but not for the uncomfortable truths: that cultures aren't equal - some are more advanced and better than others, colonialism was inevitable because of the huge gap in complexity of our cultures with respect to theirs, most African countries shouldn't have had independence that early until a good number of people were educated enough for democracy to work properly etc.
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 5:44pm On Dec 23, 2017
Exciton:

Okay, to be clear, you didn't like the article for the writing style but not for the uncomfortable truths: that cultures aren't equal - some are more advanced and better than others, colonialism was inevitable because of the huge gap in complexity of our cultures with respect to theirs, most African countries shouldn't have had independence that early until a good number of people were educated enough for democracy to work properly etc.
Yeah, just the writing style made me iffy. Honestly I still think even if they stayed up until the 21st century, nothing would have changed either. Our historical timeline obviously did not show any signs of cerebral or mental positive evolution. While the world went through the dark ages, Renaissance, enlightenment; somehow we were very content with the Grinding stone, which we used for a f*cking millennia. Our ancestors didn't question the status quo, they never wandered outside in curiosity, they were just content with eating, marrying and increasing the population faster than one another.
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by Exciton(m): 6:06pm On Dec 23, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
Yeah, just the writing style made me iffy. Honestly I still think even if they stayed up until the 21st century, nothing would have changed either. Our historical timeline obviously did not show any signs of cerebral or mental positive evolution. While the world went through the dark ages, Renaissance, enlightenment; somehow we were very content with the Grinding stone, which we used for a f*cking millennia. Our ancestors didn't question the status quo, they never wandered outside in curiosity, they were just content with eating, marrying and increasing the population faster than one another.

I think you implicitly exaggerate the extent of the level of our (and other sub-saharan) civilization as at the time of contact. Apart from the nothern empires (Sokoto and Bornu-Kanemi due to trade with arabs), we were at the level of subsistence economy, not even large scale agrarian, zero concept of wages nor knowledge of the wheel, no written language etc just as the article said. Till date, I don't think yoruba has up to 5 words for colors... that's how bad it is. There's simply no way we could have gone through all those stages (dark ages, Renaissance etc) in such a short time (100-200 years) without their help. We weren't ready when they left.

I think we could have improved if they stayed. I think the reason we have remained backward is cultural. I think we are now stuck in survival mode and there's so much emphasis on making money to get by so we have no time to be curious and explore the world around us. Our culture might have fully evolved if we mingled much longer with them (assuming no apartheid, but that's not a guarantee because they weren't as morally superior as they were technically advanced).
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 6:18pm On Dec 23, 2017
Exciton:

I think you implicitly exaggerate the extent of the level of our (and other sub-saharan) civilization as at the time of contact. Apart from the nothern empires (Sokoto and Bornu-Kanemi due to trade with arabs), we were at the level of subsistence economy, not even large scale agrarian, zero concept of wages nor knowledge of the wheel, no written language etc just as the article said. Till date, I don't think yoruba has up to 5 words for colors... that's how bad it is. There's simply no way we could have gone through all those stages (dark ages, Renaissance etc) in such a short time (100-200 years) without their help. We weren't ready when they left.

I think we could have improved if they stayed. I think the reason we have remained backward is cultural. I think we are now stuck in survival mode and there's so much emphasis on making money to get by so we have no time to be curious and explore the world around us. Our culture might have fully evolved if we mingled much longer with them (assuming no apartheid, but that's not a guarantee because they weren't as morally superior as they were technically advanced).
True, but I don't think survival mode has inhibited any curiosity; amongst out elite who have gone to schools I'm western societies, hardly do we see any who had science lab in their garages, rapid self development in tech (e.g palmer luckey et al), go on into the hard sciences and at least do one awesome thing with daddy's money; instead a large portion of them have become regular rehab Tennant's and prefer to wallow In self deceit in shyte like African leaders training etc. if those with the money, western exposure, and training in the best places in the world that have given us Nobel prize aficionados and Silicon valley giants, can't at least do something useful, then the problem is neither culture nor survival mode.
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:21pm On Dec 23, 2017
Exciton:

You have made an amazing and baffling leap of logic. The articles are different. One has nothing to do with the other
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by Exciton(m): 6:36pm On Dec 23, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

You have made an amazing and baffling leap of logic. The articles are different. One has nothing to do with the other

How so? I remember, among other things, you claimed the writer was racist because of facts that an average white liberal would not openly admit due to the need for political correctness.
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by Exciton(m): 6:48pm On Dec 23, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
True, but I don't think survival mode has inhibited any curiosity; amongst out elite who have gone to schools I'm western societies, hardly do we see any who had science lab in their garages, rapid self development in tech (e.g palmer luckey et al), go on into the hard sciences and at least do one awesome thing with daddy's money; instead a large portion of them have become regular rehab Tennant's and prefer to wallow In self deceit in shyte like African leaders training etc. if those with the money, western exposure, and training in the best places in the world that have given us Nobel prize aficionados and Silicon valley giants, can't at least do something useful, then the problem is neither culture nor survival mode.

As you said, elites with access to wealth and good education. Only a tiny percentage of the people would ever develop an interest in the hard sciences not to speak of being so good at it as to invent stuff. Not hard to see why none of the Elite's kids have gone on to become inventors. The very few who manage to become really good never come back to Nigeria anyways.

However, of late, I have become very interested in the history of high level science education in the colonial times to have a fuller picture but there's hardly any information available. I know the indians + pakistani, Japanese and chinese already had knowledge of hardcore modern math and physics pre-1960 thanks to the British. The question is: what sort of education we're we getting during the colonial period?

Modified: I see what you mean and I need to re-package my argument or someone improves upon what I've said otherwise, the only option left is that the deficiency is intinsic and I can't accept that!

1 Like

Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 7:03pm On Dec 23, 2017
Exciton:

As you said, elites with access to wealth and good education. Only a tiny percentage of the people would ever develop an interest in the hard sciences not to speak of being so good at it as to invent stuff. Not hard to see why none of the Elite's kids have gone on to become inventors. The very few who manage to become really good never come back to Nigeria anyways.

However, of late, I have become very interested in the history of high level science education in the colonial times to have a fuller picture but there's hardly any information available. I know the indians + pakistani, Japanese and chinese already had knowledge of hardcore modern math and physics pre-1960 thanks to the British. The question is: what sort of education we're we getting during the colonial period?
cheesy a lot of biographies and pre-civil war writings shows that a lot of Nigerians drifted more towards the arts and humanities, the few in the sciences were almost all gone by the end of babangida's SAP. A simple example, that I want to give is the International Mathematics Olympiad; save for south Africa and North Africa that fields white contestants, No african country has won a single medal except for Nigeria's not so deserved bronze medal in '11(dude answered only one question, the easiest). These students are supposedly picked through rigorous competition and are given hard core math drills, yet for some reason they are never able to answer one single question at the IMO. The situation becomes worse in the international Physics Olympiad where all the African contestants routinely score zero. Same story in the ICho, The informatics Olympiad. The situation is aptly described in Feynman's memoir when he visited Brazil and complained that not a single person was learning science there even though they excelled in class. The average African, save for a few like you cheesy cheesy, have not and will never know the joys of science. it's somehow not just in most of us.
Re: NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X by Teedawg: 7:09pm On Dec 23, 2017
Aringon:

What do you know about China and her products? The laptop or phone you are using to type this rubbish is from China
Lol ma phone is made in sk I've used and learnt about lots of products from china and as long it's not a well recognized company, it can never compete with flagship products just like your brain cool can't compete with mine

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bugatti Divo Undergoes A Makeover, Unrevealed At Paris Auto Show - Photos / Naija MDXers Community: For The Owners, Techs, DIYers, Or Fans Of The X / 17 First Aid Items Drivers Should Have In Their Cars - FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.