Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

U.s. Spy Chief Warns Of Crisis In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.s. Spy Chief Warns Of Crisis In Nigeria (1078 Views)

U.S. Embassy Warns Of Possible 'Terrorism' Attacks In Nigeria - Reuters / Fresh Crisis In Senate As APC Senators Vow To Stop Ekweremadu From Presiding / Obasanjo Warns Of Coup, Isn't That Treasonable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.s. Spy Chief Warns Of Crisis In Nigeria by Mamajama(m): 7:15pm On Feb 27, 2007
US DON COME AGAIN

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The director of U.S. intelligence warned Tuesday of instability in Nigeria amid concern that outgoing President Olusegun Obasanjo is manipulating the political process ahead of April's elections.

Mike McConnell, who laid out global threats facing the United States for a Senate committee, said that unrest in Africa's most populous country could spill into neighboring countries.

The April 27 presidential elections would lead to Nigeria's first civilian-to-civilian transfer of power since independence from Britain in 1960.

But a feud between Obasanjo and Vice President Atiku Abubakar has heightened tensions. The two politicians were elected together in 1999 after a period of brutal military rule. They fell out publicly last year after Obasanjo's supporters tried to amend the civilian constitution's term limits and allow the president to run again this year.

Abubakar, who has long held presidential ambitions, refused to support the amendment, and the two leaders traded accusations of corruption before Abubakar bolted from the party to join the opposition.

McConnell repeated concerns raised by his predecessor, John Negroponte, last month about democratic transition in a country of 140 million that is infamous for graft and corruption, electoral and otherwise.

"The government's institutional foundations are hollow from decades of neglect and corruption and will continue to make the country susceptible to recurring crises in coming years," McConnell said.

Both warned of popular unrest over the poor distribution of revenues from the country's vast natural resources to its impoverished citizens. They said that the central government has been unable to stop rising crime, armed militancy and attacks on foreign workers in the Niger Delta oil-producing region.

A wave of attacks by Nigerian militants have cut oil exports by 25 percent since early 2006.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/02/27/us.nigeria.ap/index.html
Re: U.s. Spy Chief Warns Of Crisis In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 7:52pm On Feb 27, 2007
This is absolutely correct.

And it is sad,

If OBJ truly cares about stability in Nigeria, then all this corruption rubbish should have been done many many months ago; not few weeks before the election.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that the end result of this affliction will not be pleasant, especially to the innocent citizens.

Nigerians need to immediately wake up and recognize the true motive behind the current political standpoint in Nigeria!
This corruption drama is not being done for the sake of our nation. It is being done as a personal agenda, a pay back to the enemies of 3rd term attempt and a protection for Mr president after the end of his term.

I have a question:
What do you think would happen to OBJ and his transcope shares if Atiku happens to win the election?

My answer is ineffable; and this is why OBJ will fight to the end regardless of what United States or anyone else thinks.
This is also why this fight is not for the sake of our nation.

Moreover, unfortunately, EFCC happens to be in the middle of the whole ordeal; they do not know which side they belong.

Let's pray for peace.
Re: U.s. Spy Chief Warns Of Crisis In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 7:53pm On Feb 27, 2007
MAMAJAMA:

I was in CHITOWN last week.
Re: U.s. Spy Chief Warns Of Crisis In Nigeria by Mamajama(m): 7:58pm On Feb 27, 2007
I was partying too hard to try to see you, hope you enjoy that horrible weather we had.
Re: U.s. Spy Chief Warns Of Crisis In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 8:02pm On Feb 27, 2007
I will never return back there. The weather was lousy and I was forced to spend an additional day.

You can keep your CHITOWN, Mamajama; it's definitely not for me.
Re: U.s. Spy Chief Warns Of Crisis In Nigeria by Mamajama(m): 8:09pm On Feb 27, 2007
dude you came at the wrong time, it's still one of the best places to be if you know the right people and right places to go. I love CHitown more than any other place I've been to, well Las Vegas and California is another story.
Re: U.s. Spy Chief Warns Of Crisis In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 8:21pm On Feb 27, 2007
Infact I was in Las Vegas for few days before stopping in Chitown and it was like a day and night.

I wasn't impressed at-all.

Chitown reminds me of Detroit.
Re: U.s. Spy Chief Warns Of Crisis In Nigeria by Mamajama(m): 8:27pm On Feb 27, 2007
Like I've said you have to have the right contacts and right city boys to be able to enjoy any place you go. With the right contacts and some HUGE blossom in your face i bet you would have had a wonderful time. next time you come keep me posted we make it memorable for you. I have good contacts in at least 20 states and we can hook you up
Re: U.s. Spy Chief Warns Of Crisis In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 8:52pm On Feb 27, 2007
Believe me, right contact wasn't the problem; I usually prefer a low key atmosphere.
The entire city seemed to be dull and nothing really to stimulate one's mind.

The weather on the other hand was also lousy, messy and very unbearable.
Re: U.s. Spy Chief Warns Of Crisis In Nigeria by Mamajama(m): 9:04pm On Feb 27, 2007
Trust me I was stranded at Midway airpot too trying to get out of CHitoen on sunday, mother nature as we call it here. you never know what you will get, its like cracker jack surprise.

(1) (Reply)

Onyema Ugochukwu (abia Pdp Guber Candidate) Beats Inec Commissioner / Who Will Save Nigeria ? / Okota Link Bridge: A Promise Kept

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.