Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,331 members, 7,811,968 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed (35258 Views)

Lagos Government Suspends Re-Opening Of Churches And Mosques / Coronavirus: Guidelines For Reopening Churches And Mosques By NCDC / Churches, Mosques To Remain Closed In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Mariangeles(f): 10:59am On Dec 29, 2017
Dangwurugwu:
Lagos can stand on its own and not even depend on the federal allocation.

Any region seeking to breakaway should first grow its economy and physical infrastructural development before making noise of secession.

Ipob copy that?
Lagos is just benefiting from being former capital of Nigeria...
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by cstr1001: 11:01am On Dec 29, 2017
GavelSlam:

Don't be in a hurry.

They are talking about land use tax.
Land use Tax?

Makes more sense now. Though i didn't really read the article.

Those churches enjoy huge land space that should have been used for something more productive and should therefore pay a premium to the govt.

2 Likes

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by 1freshdude: 11:01am On Dec 29, 2017
john1035:
I support 100% �

Most churches will relocate their headquarters from Lagos inorder to reduce tax burden. MFM, deeperlife, Synagogue, Trem...

But I'm curious, how will the income be determined, because churches won't disclose their income

Not if there is a law mandating them to publish their balance sheet.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Mariangeles(f): 11:02am On Dec 29, 2017
MrMcJay:

Amen, Amen and Amen.

Meanwhile, Churches must be taxed. It's unfair for churches to be registered as charities for charitable works and they refuse to do those charitable works.

How many Churches are taking care of IDPs? Its foreign charities doing their jobs.

Let's start from property tax on religious bodies. From there, who knows where next we'll move to.
Who told you they don't do charity works...? Do your research before commenting... in this country, the Church do the major charity works
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by stevecantrell: 11:03am On Dec 29, 2017
There is an onslaught on the church
1 Peter 4:17.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by harmbhrosz(m): 11:03am On Dec 29, 2017
powerkey:
The plot to repopulate Christianity in Nigeria is starting with Lagos state and sincerely I'm not surprised....

Yorubas don't repent at all. There is no true Yoruba believer. No matter how they claim, they can't do without their their otumokpo.
I'm sure that dead and bigotrous eyes of yours didn't see mosque

And what exactly has the populated churches in Nigeria done for this nation? I'm a Christian if you must know

1 Like

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by harmbhrosz(m): 11:04am On Dec 29, 2017
stevecantrell:
There is an onslaught on the church

1 Peter 4:17.
how about the onslaught on the mosque or you biased eyes didn't see mosque in the headline
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 29, 2017
Any religious organization that operations a business(charges money with of making profit) should be taxed.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 29, 2017
Any religious organization that operations a business(charges money with the aim of making profit) should be taxed.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by MrMcJay(m): 11:06am On Dec 29, 2017
cstr1001:
Dosen't make sense.

Even in places where the tax regimes are very strict, churches are not taxed , let alone a corrupt shitt-hole like Lagos.

I know i speak against extravagant clergies, but then Churches are like NGOs.

Their donations are voluntary.

Lagos state can as well tax the beggars on the street, or NGOs, or orphanages.

Stop typing like an illiterate.

They aren't taxing churches income, those are tax exempt. They are taxing buildings.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by cstr1001: 11:06am On Dec 29, 2017
It makes sense for the churches to pay Tax on Land. Those lands are humongous.

Any other tax is definitely stretching it to absurdity.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by stfadaanthony(m): 11:07am On Dec 29, 2017
I have always advocated for payment of tax for Churches and other religious organizations... They generate money, why should they not taxed. For those shouting double taxation,what about Church members that still have business ventures and still pay tax?

Abeg,let them pay.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by kevoh(m): 11:08am On Dec 29, 2017
Confor:
So our Mosques in the motor parks, Petrol Station, Hospitals, Local Government Secretariat,under bridges etc will be subjected to the same TAX payment. We are waiting for your conclusion on the debate sha. undecided
Yes, the mosques in every corner should/will be subjected to taxation. No sacred cows please. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by NiRfreak(m): 11:12am On Dec 29, 2017
Many church will fail to declare their asset. Most will be dishonest about the actual figure they make in revenue.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by unapapadeycraze: 11:13am On Dec 29, 2017
tohpahz:
Yaaaaay.. Finally���

even you wey resemble saint, you are happy. you no be christian?
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by teefaht(f): 11:15am On Dec 29, 2017
FOLYKAZE:

Is Buhari not paying tax too? He earns salary after tax has been deducted.

And where is the evidence that Yusuf medical bill is offset from tax money? You guys just real out garbage from your anu just to prove a point.

On the principle of equity, the Church and Mosque is a business avenue which must be taxed. In UK, churches and religion centres are been taxed. This is because most full term pastors and bishops are been paid salary. The church earn revenue from every possible means. Either by selling religion items or offering money for special prayers. All these are no different from corporate organizations that render services or Industries that sells manufactured products which are taxed.

The Church property like every other Business properties should be taxed. The Sales revenue and Salaries of Pastors should be taxed too. There should no exception because both Church and it operators earn money. There is money flow that is taxable. These pastors or whatever they tag themselves should pay income tax just like every person. And the church which makes money from the congregation should also pay tax just like every other business or institution

Mosques are not being used for business purposes. Imams are not being paid nor generating any revenues. Where would they get the money from? The government should look into this.
They should rather tax the Muslim associations like NASFAT, ANSARUDEEN, MSSN etc

2 Likes

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Desyner: 11:16am On Dec 29, 2017
guywitzerogal:
grin I no gree since church are making money let them too pay tax....so watch out ur tithe wouldn't be 10% again let say 15%
How exactly is the church making money ? Please give a direct answer.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by GavelSlam: 11:16am On Dec 29, 2017
Mariangeles:
Lagos is just benefiting from being former capital of Nigeria...

What of Calabar?

1 Like

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by codemaniacs: 11:17am On Dec 29, 2017
zz

1 Like

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Veeflow(m): 11:17am On Dec 29, 2017
shocked when private jet and beautiful house of God over plenty nko.. ;Dalfa too go pay tax I die
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by smulti(m): 11:18am On Dec 29, 2017
Sirheny007:
Very good if these institutions can be taxed!
Expect Pastors and clergies to increase tithes.
grin grin grin

Increase to how many percent this time around gringringrin
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by adetayo234: 11:20am On Dec 29, 2017
Desyner:
Same way your wife and children will be making profit on your head. It is called voluntary giving if the pastor steals it I leave him to God that's no business of the govt. If govt must tax pastors then they should tax every form of group contribution, yahoo boys, theives etc

Yes, you are right. Your pastor should be taxed like any yahoo boy out there since there is no difference between the two of them.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by holuphisayor(m): 11:21am On Dec 29, 2017
good
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by holybabayo(m): 11:21am On Dec 29, 2017
There was a time that churches were charitable organizations. They were blessings to any society and environment and so were encouraged by not being taxed. That churches are being considered to be taxed means their perception in the public are changing. They are no longer being seen with the eyes of a blessing to the society. There is little care if they exist or not.
Also their was a time that churches were being supported by governments so they can continue in existence. But now pastors and churches are so so rich that they are being seen as a way of helping the society. The Church actually attracted these to themselves by showing off their wealths.
I sincerely hope that only the H/Q will be taxed
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by primateayoola(m): 11:22am On Dec 29, 2017
Desyner:
The church and mosques(if taxable) will soon retject this injustice. Buhari son will soon be flown abroad with tax payers money while those who pay the tax can't afford such.
If it were to be a church member who can't afford a church school we criticize the pastors but here govt officials are taxing us against our will and enjoying what we can't enjoy. Any attempt to tax the church is an attempt to tax the people twice.

We are not complaining of being taxed twice, in as much as you are bound to pay tax twice if you are running to different companies, then there is nothing wrong with this as well. Maybe it would reduce the number of churches that is growing more than virtue.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by OversightTM(m): 11:23am On Dec 29, 2017
Xisnin:
If I pay for your service using my taxed income, are you exempt from being taxed?
And if I may ask what service are you talking about here?
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Acidosis(m): 11:23am On Dec 29, 2017
What about shrines, and other traditional homes?

Not all Churches are registered, not all churches receive offerings/tithes. Not all pastors receive salaries. Some pastors in fact, spend their proceeds from their personal businesses to feed the majority of the members.

I'm not against this policy, but one thing is certain, the poor will definitely become poorer, while the rich (government officials) will become richer.
If you think taxing churches and mosques will improve your roads or electricity, then you're probably high on a cheap weed.

By the time churches give a whooping 30% of their income to the government, many willing donors will withdraw their offerings, and the majority who go to churches for help, will become more impoverish. Nigerians can never trust the government with their money.

1 Like

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by palladin: 11:25am On Dec 29, 2017
Xisnin:

If I pay for your service using my taxed income, are you exempt from
being taxed?

That's right. But in the case where I gave you some money (freewill), should that money be taxed?

Bottom line is we need to be careful to differentiate what is taxable from what shouldn't be taxed. Taxing free will donations would amount to double taxation
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by Shafiiimran99: 11:25am On Dec 29, 2017
Paperwhite:
Nice development.
Provided they will use it well
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:26am On Dec 29, 2017
powerkey:

Indeed you a a Yoruba Muslim Antichrist....

Remember winner chapel and redeem have branches accross all old Eastern States....

If you like call me Oduduwa Buddhist Babel. It doesn't change anything in me.

Celestial church of Christian, Cherubim and seraphim are in the UK and are been taxed. The same should apply in every state in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by farem: 11:27am On Dec 29, 2017
Desyner:

Where does the proceed go? You tell me. You are only speculating further.

Have you heard of scholarship they give out? Maybe you want the church to annouce it in radio so that unbelievers can overrun the real seed sowers. You guys just assume thing and get emotional over the strides the churches are making.

Why are you disturbing yourself over this guy? Having you seen that his mentioning mosque is a camouflage. He has majored on his vocation- attacking church!
You can't search too long before you know their destination.

Where are all the money being contributed in Nigerian mosques? If it is not being used to buy jets and build expensive universities, then the money is a security threat to our existence.
The huge money must be sinking somewhere. Time for government to check deeper, the funding sources of Boko Haram and Isis. Unless you tell me that Muslims are so poor Ann minute in population and this is not.
Re: Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:28am On Dec 29, 2017
Acidosis:
What about shrines, and other traditional homes?

Not all Churches are registered, not all churches receive offerings/tithes. Not all pastors receive salaries. Some pastors in fact, spend their proceeds from their personal businesses to feed the majority of the members.

I'm not against this policy, but one thing is certain, the poor will definitely become poorer, while the rich (government officials) will become richer.
If you think taxing churches and mosques will improve your roads or electricity, then you're probably high on a cheap weed.

Shrines are built in personal home or on personal landed property which are taxed. The organised body of Onisegun pay tax. So also, the pastors and their churches should not be exempted.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Kills 'Witchcraft Cat' That Disrupts People's Success / 'The Pulpit' By Ngozi Edemba 'Female Oracle Of God' Launched (Photos) / Four-week-old Colombian Baby Can Walk & Breathe Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.