Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

George Weah Elected Liberian President - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / George Weah Elected Liberian President (376 Views)

George Floyd Buried Again In Mbaise Imo State Of Nigeria By 'his Kinsman' / George Floyd Protester: I Love Black Di.c.k So You Will Hear Me Speak / George Weah Meets TB Joshua, Seeks God’s Face At Synagogue Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

George Weah Elected Liberian President by josiufi: 9:35am On Dec 29, 2017
Former football star George Weah has been elected as Liberia's president.
With nearly all ballots from Tuesday's run-off vote counted, Mr Weah is well ahead of opponent Joseph Boakai with more than 60% of the vote.
As news of Mr Weah's victory emerged, his supporters began celebrating in the capital Monrovia.
He will succeed Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Africa's first elected female president, in Liberia's first democratic handover in decades.
"My fellow Liberians, I deeply feel the emotion of all the nation," Mr Weah wrote on Twitter after the results were announced.
"I measure the importance and the responsibility of the immense task which I embrace today. Change is on."
Who is George Weah?
Mr Weah starred at top-flight European football clubs Paris St-Germain (PSG) and AC Milan, before ending his career in England with brief stays at Chelsea and Manchester City.
He is the only African footballer to have won both Fifa World Player of the Year and the prestigious Ballon D'Or.

He entered politics after his retirement from the game in 2002 and is currently a senator in Liberia's parliament.

(1) (Reply)

Never Afraid To Tell The TRUTH / Social Protection: Policies, Programmes And Evidence Course / GIS And Remote Sensing In Disaster Risk Management Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.