Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,810 members, 7,956,068 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:50 PM

BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! (2437 Views)

What Is Parvo And How It Is Spread / Please My Puppy Is Dying From Parvo Virus Help Me To Save My Puppy / Top Most Dangerous Dogs In Nigeria (beware Of Dogs) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by logadims: 6:29am On Dec 30, 2017
This is the the Hamattan season and it's usually associated with high rate of Parvo cases. You have to be very careful.

I'll be enlightening you about thee dread disease. Stay tuned.

First; what is Canine Parvo virus?

Canine parvovirus is a highly contagious viral disease that can produce a life-threatening illness. The virus attacks rapidly dividing cells in a dog’s body, most severely affecting the intestinal tract. Parvovirus also attacks the white blood cells and when young animals are infected, the virus can damage the heart muscle and cause lifelong cardiac problem

What Are the General Symptoms of Parvovirus?
The general symptoms of parvovirus are lethargy, severe vomiting, loss of appetite and bloody, foul-smelling diarrhea that can lead to life-threatening dehydration.

How Is Parvovirus Transmitted?

Parvovirus is extremely contagious and can be transmitted by any person, animal or object that comes in contact with an infected
dog's feces. Highly resistant, the virus can live in the environment for months, and may survive on inanimate objects such as food
bowls, shoes, clothes, carpet and floors. It is common for an unvaccinated dog to contract parvovirus from the streets, especially in urban areas where there are many dogs.

How Is Parvovirus Diagnosed?
Veterinarians diagnose parvovirus on the basis of clinical signs and laboratory testing. The Enzyme Linked ImmunoSorbant Assay
(ELISA) test has become a common test for parvovirus. The ELISA test kit is used to detect parvovirus in a dog’s stools, and is
performed in the vet’s office in about 15 minutes. Because this test is not 100% sensitive or specific, your veterinarian may
recommend additional tests and bloodwork.

Which Dogs Are Prone to Parvovirus?

Puppies, adolescent dogs and canines who are not vaccinated are most susceptible to the virus. The canine parvovirus affects most
members of the dog family (wolves, coyotes, foxes, etc.). Breeds at a higher risk are Rottweilers, Doberman pinschers, Labrador
retrievers, American Staffordshire terriers and German shepherds.

How Can Parvovirus Be Prevented?

You can protect your dog from this potential killer by making sure he’s up-to-date on his vaccinations . Parvovirus should be considered a core vaccine for all puppies and adult dogs. It is usually recommended that puppies be vaccinated with combination vaccines that take into account the risk factors for exposure to various diseases. One common vaccine, called a “5-in-1,” protects the puppy from distemper , hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus and parainfluenza.

Generally, the first vaccine is given at 6-8 weeks of age and a booster is given at four-week intervals until the puppy is 16-20
weeks of age, and then again at one year of age. A puppy’s vaccination program is not complete before four months of age. Older dogs who have not received full puppy vaccination series may be susceptible to parvovirus and should also receive at least
one immunization. Consult with your veterinarian about how often your dog will need to be revaccinated.

Because parvovirus can live in an environment for months, you will want to take extra care if there has been an infected dog in your house or yard. Some things are easier to clean and disinfect than others-and even with excellent cleaning, parvovirus can be difficult to eradicate. Parvo is resistant to many typical disinfectants. A solution of one part bleach to 32 parts water can be used where organic material is not present. The infected dog’s toys, food dish and water bowl should be properly cleaned and then disinfected with this solution for 10 minutes. If not disinfected, these articles should be discarded. You can also use the solution on the soles of your shoes if you think you've walked through an infected area. Areas that are harder to clean (grassy areas, carpeting and wood, for example) may need to be sprayed with disinfectant, or even resurfaced.

How Can Parvovirus Be Treated?
Although there are no drugs available that can kill the virus yet, treatment is generally straightforward and consists of aggressive
supportive care to control the symptoms and boost your dog’s immune system to help him win the battle against this dangerous disease. Dogs infected with parvovirus need intensive treatment in a veterinary hospital, where they receive antibiotics , drugs to control the vomiting, intravenous fluids and other supportive therapies. Should your dog undergo this treatment, be prepared for
considerable expense-the average hospital stay is about 5-7 days.

Please note that treatment is not always successful-so it’s especially important to make sure your dog is vaccinated.

What Are Some Home Treatment Options?

Because parvovirus is such a serious disease, it is not recommended to attempt home treatment. Even with the best veterinary care, this disease is often fatal.

When Is it Time to See the Vet?
If you notice your dog experiencing severe vomiting, loss of appetite, depression or bloody diarrhea, contact your veterinarian
immediately.

What Are Some Other Health Issues with These Same Symptoms?

A puppy with a bloody diarrhea could have a parasite problem, a virus other than parvovirus, a stress colitis , or may have eaten something that disagreed with him or injured and blocked his digestive tract. It’s crucial that you see your vet for an accurate
diagnosis.

source: pet.webmd.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by logadims: 7:38am On Dec 30, 2017
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by logadims: 5:04pm On Dec 30, 2017
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by logadims: 5:50pm On Dec 30, 2017
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by tochivitus(m): 7:23pm On Dec 30, 2017
logadims:
This is the the Hamattan season and it's usually associated with high rate of Parvo cases. You have to be very careful.

I'll be enlightening you about thee dread disease. Stay tuned.

First; what is Canine Parvo virus?

Canine parvovirus is a highly contagious viral disease that can produce a life-threatening illness. The virus attacks rapidly dividing cells in a dog’s body, most severely affecting the intestinal tract. Parvovirus also attacks the white blood cells and when young animals are infected, the virus can damage the heart muscle and cause lifelong cardiac problem

What Are the General Symptoms of Parvovirus?
The general symptoms of parvovirus are lethargy, severe vomiting, loss of appetite and bloody, foul-smelling diarrhea that can lead to life-threatening dehydration.

How Is Parvovirus Transmitted?

Parvovirus is extremely contagious and can be transmitted by any person, animal or object that comes in contact with an infected
dog's feces. Highly resistant, the virus can live in the environment for months, and may survive on inanimate objects such as food
bowls, shoes, clothes, carpet and floors. It is common for an unvaccinated dog to contract parvovirus from the streets, especially in urban areas where there are many dogs.

How Is Parvovirus Diagnosed?
Veterinarians diagnose parvovirus on the basis of clinical signs and laboratory testing. The Enzyme Linked ImmunoSorbant Assay
(ELISA) test has become a common test for parvovirus. The ELISA test kit is used to detect parvovirus in a dog’s stools, and is
performed in the vet’s office in about 15 minutes. Because this test is not 100% sensitive or specific, your veterinarian may
recommend additional tests and bloodwork.

Which Dogs Are Prone to Parvovirus?

Puppies, adolescent dogs and canines who are not vaccinated are most susceptible to the virus. The canine parvovirus affects most
members of the dog family (wolves, coyotes, foxes, etc.). Breeds at a higher risk are Rottweilers, Doberman pinschers, Labrador
retrievers, American Staffordshire terriers and German shepherds.

How Can Parvovirus Be Prevented?

You can protect your dog from this potential killer by making sure he’s up-to-date on his vaccinations . Parvovirus should be considered a core vaccine for all puppies and adult dogs. It is usually recommended that puppies be vaccinated with combination vaccines that take into account the risk factors for exposure to various diseases. One common vaccine, called a “5-in-1,” protects the puppy from distemper , hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus and parainfluenza.

Generally, the first vaccine is given at 6-8 weeks of age and a booster is given at four-week intervals until the puppy is 16-20
weeks of age, and then again at one year of age. A puppy’s vaccination program is not complete before four months of age. Older dogs who have not received full puppy vaccination series may be susceptible to parvovirus and should also receive at least
one immunization. Consult with your veterinarian about how often your dog will need to be revaccinated.

Because parvovirus can live in an environment for months, you will want to take extra care if there has been an infected dog in your house or yard. Some things are easier to clean and disinfect than others-and even with excellent cleaning, parvovirus can be difficult to eradicate. Parvo is resistant to many typical disinfectants. A solution of one part bleach to 32 parts water can be used where organic material is not present. The infected dog’s toys, food dish and water bowl should be properly cleaned and then disinfected with this solution for 10 minutes. If not disinfected, these articles should be discarded. You can also use the solution on the soles of your shoes if you think you've walked through an infected area. Areas that are harder to clean (grassy areas, carpeting and wood, for example) may need to be sprayed with disinfectant, or even resurfaced.

How Can Parvovirus Be Treated?
Although there are no drugs available that can kill the virus yet, treatment is generally straightforward and consists of aggressive
supportive care to control the symptoms and boost your dog’s immune system to help him win the battle against this dangerous disease. Dogs infected with parvovirus need intensive treatment in a veterinary hospital, where they receive antibiotics , drugs to control the vomiting, intravenous fluids and other supportive therapies. Should your dog undergo this treatment, be prepared for
considerable expense-the average hospital stay is about 5-7 days.

Please note that treatment is not always successful-so it’s especially important to make sure your dog is vaccinated.

What Are Some Home Treatment Options?

Because parvovirus is such a serious disease, it is not recommended to attempt home treatment. Even with the best veterinary care, this disease is often fatal.

When Is it Time to See the Vet?
If you notice your dog experiencing severe vomiting, loss of appetite, depression or bloody diarrhea, contact your veterinarian
immediately.

What Are Some Other Health Issues with These Same Symptoms?

A puppy with a bloody diarrhea could have a parasite problem, a virus other than parvovirus, a stress colitis , or may have eaten something that disagreed with him or injured and blocked his digestive tract. It’s crucial that you see your vet for an accurate
diagnosis.

My puppy is down with this virus right now. My vet and I have done all things possible, but the dog Has lost 90% of it body weight and currently unable to stand on it own. Chai so sad cry any other solution op ?
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by logadims: 2:20am On Dec 31, 2017
tochivitus:

My puppy is down with this virus right now. My vet and I have done all things possible, but the dog Has lost 90% of it body weight and currently unable to stand on it own. Chai so sad cry any other solution op ?
where are you?
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by logadims: 12:40pm On Dec 31, 2017
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by bobbysaxy: 12:42pm On Dec 31, 2017
Parvo is fast killer virus to dogs....but I know someone who is a pro in treating it...location is ibadan just call or whatsapp 08155560515
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by kenx1(m): 5:56pm On Dec 31, 2017
I lost my 8weeks old rott and my 4 weeks boerbole..... It's a very contagious and dangerous disease
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by logadims: 8:01am On Jan 01, 2018
kenx1:
I lost my 8weeks old rott and my 4 weeks boerbole..... It's a very contagious and dangerous disease
lalasticlala mynd44 seun fynestboi are you seeing that this virus is deadly, kindly move to front page to educate people to avoid more deaths
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by logadims: 2:50pm On Jan 01, 2018
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by logadims: 2:51pm On Jan 01, 2018
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by logadims: 8:21am On Jan 02, 2018
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by logadims: 10:21am On Jan 02, 2018
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by logadims: 11:41am On Jan 03, 2018
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by younghartz(m): 4:46pm On Jan 03, 2018
most pet breed also pass through little of what mentioned during mating after estrus
Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by Pbuikem(m): 11:46pm On Dec 26, 2022
I believe I've found cure for Parvo virus...just read this and judge.

So 3 days ago I came home to one of my 7 weeks old American Eskimo puppy lying on the floor looking cold and more dead than alive. It was looking weak when I was leaving for work that morning but I was in a hurry and couldn't attend to it. So at this time, his condition was hopeless. I was kinda reluctant to touch it with my hands, I used my leg to nudge it to confirm if it was still alive...was that bad. After that, I took a towel and used it to be able to touch it and pick it up (it looked infectious and dead, and scaring.)

It was lying in a pool of clear liquid which had come out from his mouth. I picked it up and took it into the parlor. Immediately after cleaning him up with cold water and toweling him, the next thing that popped into my head was egg and cod liver oil. Why?
In 2018 during my Youth Service in Maiduguri, we had a local family house dog at the Nccf. Being a big dog lover I adopted those dogs and even helped the females deliver their puppies. One time when I returned from a month long travel I was told all the puppies I had delivered were poisoned to death by our Muslim neighbor and that only one was still alive and battling for his life. I dropped my bags there and then and went straight to the backyard to pick him from where he had been isolated. He was all ribs literally, no exaggeration. His skin was gummed to his ribs. His teeth was tightly shut and he was smelling really bad. The vet graduate corpers in the family house had put him on drip and all sorts of drugs, I took him from there and brought him out into the compound. It was then that I first bought a syringe, one egg, and packet of codliver oil.

I broke the egg into a plate, mixed it with the tip of the syringe, drew it with the syringe (no needles), and injected it into the mouth of the dog towards the back of his throat so he was forced to swallow. Next I bit off the tip of the cod lover oil and emptied it into his mouth. I also mixed milk in water and injected it into his mouth. And did same with water, a few syringes. After this, I left him with the new set of puppies that came after his set (bad idea now that I know it was Parvo and is infectious, but they were all fine).

By the next morning, no jokes, this puppy went to eat with the other house dogs. He was two - three months old at the time this happened. And in two weeks, he regained his weight fully. By one months time, he was fat like a big plumb dog.

So for some reason, three days ago, I carried one egg again, with one capsule of 1000gm cod liver oil, and water. I gave the egg first, about 2-3 syringes, poured the cod liver oil in his mouth, then syringes of water. And seriously guys, no jokes, in about one hour this dog regained his strength. His crippled feet that was as fable as when he was born became strong again. It was like a joke. Then I poured the remaining egg in water proof and boiled it, and he actually ate plenty of it (can't remember if he actually finished it cos I was panicking at the time).

I dropped him in the parlor and went outside to change out of my work clothes only to see that his sister was lying paralyzed on the same spot I had picked him from. I knew what had happened and called my brother to take the other 3 into isolation and mop the floor of that whole area. I took this new one, her own was worse than her brother's. I ran out to buy egg as I was out of egg. Then I did all the things I did for the brother. She was not responding, her strength was still gone, she was struggling really bad. Her brother was walking all around the place, a little weak and running temperature, but at least he was walking. That was how I slept with these two puppies until midnight when the sister started getting back to herself. I dropped them there and went to bed.

By morning I was rushing to come and see if it's two dead puppies I was going to bury or one. But to my surprise, two of them were still alive. I was ready to go to the vet, but I needed to attend to the sister once more as she had not yet started to walk. I gave her 4 syringes of water and in few minutes (MINUTES!), she was walking and the both of them were running after me in no time.

The vet was useless, won't bother talking about my experience going to the vet. But I came back home to finish what I had started.
That night, after isolating the healthy three, I gave them syringes of egg and a capsule of cod liver oil each. And in the morning before going to the vet I gave all 5 another round of egg, cod liver oil and water.

I did this round of shots again in the evening before going for my night shift. Long story shot, on Christmas yesterday I released the two previously sick puppies to the healthy ones and you couldn't tell the difference. I made their mother suckle them after they came out and then gave them food with the rest.

I was feeding them eggs. I didn't give them milk this time because of what happened to my kitten in 2021, long story for another time.

BUT GUYS, THREE PUPPIES AT DIFFERENT TIMES, DIFFERENT BREEDS....it has to be something. Try it for your dog. IT'S INSTANT CURE!!!

Please, I am not a doctor or anything. I am just a big dog person since my first puppy in 2018. Still check with your vet.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! by bravoalpha(m): 2:40pm On Apr 06, 2023
Educative,nice one

(1) (Reply)

Pug And Standard Eskimo For Stud Service / Female Pitbull Max For Sale / Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.