Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,730 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! (27363 Views)

My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. / 3 Sisters Went Missing, Found Dead In Neighbor's Pond In U.S.(Pics) / Outrageous Traditional Marriage List In Akwa Ibom: Man Runs Away (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by tvandy10: 2:41am On Jan 01, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I am getting married towards the later end of next year.

My father is Yoruba and my mother is from Calabar. I was born in Nigeria but have been in the U.S. since I was a young girl. My fianceƩ is Oyinbo and we are doing a traditional wedding ceremony.

Does anyone know where I find the steps for the Efik and Yoruba ceremony? My fianceƩ's family wants to join in a just wants a little more information so they can full participate. I don't just want them to sit there dumbstruck. I want them to be a part of it. I've tried searching for steps to the wedding, but haven't gotten good results. I basically want a program, what goes first, what is last, what to do in each part.

My parents are also helping me but I figure the more information I get, the better.

Any help or suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

TV10

Ps,

Here's an example of the steps in a Hindu wedding: https://www.thoughtco.com/hindu-wedding-rituals-1770478

Looking for something similar.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by BLACKdagger: 3:03am On Jan 01, 2018
Hmm
Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Ishilove: 12:42pm On Jan 01, 2018
In African tradition it is the man who owns the child once he has legally married the mother, so the Efik ceremony is not necessary. It's just marriage according to Yoruba culture that should be done

110 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by TheHistorian(m): 12:56pm On Jan 01, 2018
Op. . . .You are of Yoruba ancestry abeg.

Call your friends and relatives,prepare amala and abula for them.Their heart will thank you. grin

46 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by olamil34(m): 12:57pm On Jan 01, 2018
grin

Get the best prices from different stores on quickfinda.com
Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by surrogatesng: 12:57pm On Jan 01, 2018
Ishilove:
In African tradition it is the man who owns the child once he has legally married the mother, so the Efik ceremony is not necessary. It's just marriage according to Yoruba culture that should be done
seconded

36 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 01, 2018
Ishilove:
Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Funkybabee(f): 12:58pm On Jan 01, 2018
Yoruba marriage ni yen.....events planner should cm here ooo

21 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Godsaves18(m): 12:58pm On Jan 01, 2018
Ishilove:

Thirded

27 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by kolawoleibukun: 12:59pm On Jan 01, 2018
your parents should know better. do what you can do and forget this culture thing. if you really care about culture you should return to Nigeria and live with us here.

many people living here cannot afford to do all that ceremony that you desire. they just flow. forget culture, focus on your marriage instead. and do with what you have. do not go any extra length to garnish wedding and miss out on the most important sense of the wedding.

Just read up a little, people here are misleading. What you could have done was contact you cousins or relatives and get better information..

that is if this story na true oh. You have been in the US since you were a young girl, are you now an old girl? before leaving this country you blind? call your extended family and get details. there is nothing like efik+yoruba culture. you must choose either

24 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by dayleke: 12:59pm On Jan 01, 2018
Good luck and happy married life in advance.
Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by rattlesnake(m): 12:59pm On Jan 01, 2018
Is your oyinbo fiancee born again

7 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Intrepid01(m): 12:59pm On Jan 01, 2018
Babe! what is your problem? it is me your pry school lover, I've bn waiting for you all these years, and there you are planning to marry Akata....have you forgotten out promises and vows?..........Looool

15 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Iruobean(m): 12:59pm On Jan 01, 2018
Hh
Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Lekan1o1: 1:00pm On Jan 01, 2018
Yoruba marriage now, undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by mostyg(m): 1:00pm On Jan 01, 2018
Owo Iya gbo
Owo baba gbo
Owo obinrin ile
Obi
Orogbo
Atare
Ogoji Isu
Oyin
Aso
Iyo
Sugar
Aguntan
Etc

YouTube would be of help......

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by belente(m): 1:00pm On Jan 01, 2018
I wish you the best
Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Johnbosco77(m): 1:00pm On Jan 01, 2018
Just tell any carpenter to construct a step for u naaa. Must u need naija carpenter for the steps?
Happy traditional wedding in advance..

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by PheezyLee(m): 1:00pm On Jan 01, 2018
Ishilove:

Fourthed!

10 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Deepfreezer(m): 1:01pm On Jan 01, 2018
Yoruba elders oya

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by manneger2: 1:01pm On Jan 01, 2018
Ishilove:
Fifted

9 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by wunmi590(m): 1:03pm On Jan 01, 2018
@OP, I love the love and marriage life of your family, very diversify family.

Your father Yoruba, and your mother calabar.

And you CalYoruba, wants to marry oyinbo, so the combination is now CalYorubaOyinbo. grin

Keep it up, God would bless your union in advance.

13 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Omofunaab2: 1:04pm On Jan 01, 2018
Na Yoruba wedding u go do. ..

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Xisnin(m): 1:04pm On Jan 01, 2018
Search for Nigerian marriage planners on facebook.
You should be able to get the needed info from them.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 01, 2018
Ishilove:
Sixthed

7 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by NoToPile: 1:05pm On Jan 01, 2018
It's going to be a yoruba wedding.

Your best bet is to search for master of ceremonies for yoruba traditional marriage (they are called alaga)in the USA contact one of them. They will put you through.

If your father's relatives are over there they will also put you through, I am assuming they are not available.

Tell your groom to get ready for some agbada wearing and prostrating. grin

10 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 01, 2018
smiley
Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Ishilove: 1:06pm On Jan 01, 2018
surrogatesng:

seconded
Godsaves18:

Thirded
PheezyLee:

Fourthed!
manneger2:

Fifted
Pepsi101:
Sixthed
Una doh o

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Bobbyjay001(m): 1:06pm On Jan 01, 2018
Johnbosco77:
Just tell any carpenter to construct a step for u naaa. Must u need naija carpenter for the steps?
Happy traditional wedding in advance..

May sense fall on you this year 2018. I need thunderous amen for this guy.

8 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Pavore9: 1:07pm On Jan 01, 2018
Focus on how the Yorubas do it.

OP registered her account today, created a thread today, it hits Front-page instanta.....your head "strong"! cheesy cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 01, 2018
Ishilove:
Seventhed

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Daughter Clocks 1 Today / Some Ways To Make Yourself Happy / Oya Dab: See Grandma In Action

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.