Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,783 members, 7,820,745 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Happy New Year! - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Happy New Year! (1660 Views)

Happy New Month From Barryh Fertilizer And Chem / Happy New Year To All Great Farmers Out There / Happy New Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Happy New Year! by Pavore9: 5:21am On Jan 01, 2018
Wishing you all a Happy New Year. May 2018 enrich our knowledge of how best to achieve better output in the most cost effective way. Let us be motivated to seek knowledge there is so much the internet has to offer just as there is from physically visiting well established and profit churning agro ventures.

Choose where to key in, whether it be cultivation, processing, marketing or distribution.......there is so much agriculture has to offer those genuinely interested in it.

It is not a bed of roses but it is certainly not all about thorns either.

There is the drying of fruits such as Mango, during its season a huge percentage of the harvest end up as waste..... drying and packaging them makes business sense.

Preservation of vegetables and fruits before they get sold, there are simple technologies without the use of electricity that can preserve those tomatoes, capsicum, ugu, carrot, mango, cabbage, eggplants, avocados etc for over a week before it is sold off or utilized.

Packaging has much to offer. How can we repackage what are sold in the open market in its rawest form..... they are people willing to pay for the extra effort

Agriculture has much to offer, if we can innovatively stretch ourselves.

A fruitful 2018 to us all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happy New Year! by Newway2(m): 11:00am On Jan 01, 2018
Pavore9:
Wishing you all a Happy New Year. May 2018 enrich our knowledge of how best to achieve better output in the most cost effective way. Let us be motivated to seek knowledge there is so much the internet has to offer just as there is from physically visiting well established and profit churning agro ventures.

Choose where to key in, whether it be cultivation, processing, marketing or distribution.......there is so much agriculture has to offer those genuinely interested in it.

It is not a bed of roses but it is certainly not all about thorns either.

There is the drying of fruits such as Mango, during its season a huge percentage of the harvest end up as waste..... drying and packaging them makes business sense.

Preservation of vegetables and fruits before they get sold, there are simple technologies without the use of electricity that can preserve those tomatoes, capsicum, ugu, carrot, mango, cabbage, eggplants, avocados etc for over a week before it is sold off or utilized.

Packaging has much to offer. How can we repackage what are sold in the open market in its rawest form..... they are people willing to pay for the extra effort

Agriculture has much to offer, if we can innovatively stretch ourselves.

A fruitful 2018 to us all.

Thanx Parore for this msg. (Permission to share)

U really said my mind. There are huge opportunities out there in agriculture value chain for pple that care to look deeper.

As u saud, it's not bed of roses. But, it also not as terrible as it seems.

May 2018 be fruitful for us all.
Re: Happy New Year! by Pavore9: 11:26am On Jan 01, 2018
Newway2:

Thanx Parore for this msg. (Permission to share)

U really said my mind. There are huge opportunities out there in agriculture value chain for pple that care to look deeper.

As u saud, it's not bed of roses. But, it also not as terrible as it seems.

May 2018 be fruitful for us all.

Feel free to share.
Re: Happy New Year! by jamp: 12:56pm On Jan 01, 2018
I wish all a beautiful year ahead

Farming pays......if you dont make millions you will see food chop
Re: Happy New Year! by aquila3: 2:57pm On Jan 01, 2018
Pavore9:

Feel free to share.
pavore baba you have been a blessing to this generation, may God continually show you mercy and give you all round blessing.
Re: Happy New Year! by Pavore9: 2:58pm On Jan 01, 2018
aquila3:
pavore baba you have been a blessing to this generation, may God continually show you mercy and give you all round blessing.

Amen.
Re: Happy New Year! by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jan 01, 2018
Pavore9:

Word of wisdom. Respect bro!

These few paragraphs of yours are packed with hidden treasures. If you do not mind, can we unlock some of the treasures by discussing further your key points?

Pavore9:

With solar drying machine or electricity? And please who buys dried mango? Probably turned to powder? Just trying to figure out who eats dried mangoes. I do not think I have come across it. Yeah, I have seen mango flavors.

Pavore9:

Charcoal cold room? Any other type? I have thought about charcoal cold room but I am trying to get how charcoal are made in large quantity. Guess one will have to learn turning trees to charcoal. Trying to see if forest reservation laws do not prohibit such act. Or any other simple technology? I mean this is so good for green peas and beans. Just amazing.

Pavore9:

I have been trying to research different packaging designs for tomatoes and peppers. Please, could you share a type of packaging style you will definitely not mind paying extra for?
Re: Happy New Year! by Holycity(f): 7:26pm On Jan 01, 2018
Happy New Year
Re: Happy New Year! by Pavore9: 7:47pm On Jan 01, 2018
fluentinfor:

Word of wisdom. Respect bro!

These few paragraphs of yours are packed with hidden treasures. If you do not mind, can we unlock some of the treasures by discussing further your key points?

With solar drying machine or electricity? And please who buys dried mango? Probably turned to powder? Just trying to figure out who eats dried mangoes. I do not think I have come across it. Yeah, I have seen mango flavors.

Charcoal cold room? Any other type? I have thought about charcoal cold room but I am trying to get how charcoal are made in large quantity. Guess one will have to learn turning trees to charcoal. Trying to see if forest reservation laws do not prohibit such act. Or any other simple technology? I mean this is so good for green peas and beans. Just amazing.

I have been trying to research different packaging designs for tomatoes and peppers. Please, could you share a type of packaging style you will definitely not mind paying extra for?

Away from my laptop now as it where I have pictures that will give a clearer picture of I am referring to but before the pictures let me share some insights.

Dried mangoes? You missing big, I do it as I buy packs of them as it has a one year shelf life (will share an article tomorrow of Kenya's Sweet N' Dried).

For preservation, charcoal is so out of it as am pro conservation, anyone who needs charcoal should carbonize bio wastes and make them from it, Plantain and banana peels regularly serves as stock for briquettes. A "local fridge" set up under a shade made out of wood, roofing sheets, PVC pipes, jute bags and water that serves coolant are all that is needed to do the preservation.

Expect full details tomorrow morning.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happy New Year! by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:52pm On Jan 01, 2018
Pavore9:

Away from my laptop now as it where I have pictures that will give a clearer picture of I am referring to but before the pictures let me share some insights.

Dried mangoes? You missing big, I do it as I buy packs of them as it has a one year shelf life (will share an article tomorrow of Kenya's Sweet N' Dried).

For preservation, charcoal is so out of it as am pro conservation, anyone who needs charcoal should carbonize bio wastes and make them from it, Plantain and banana peels regularly serves as stock for briquettes. A "local fridge" set up under a shade made out of wood, roofing sheets, PVC pipes, jute bags and water that serves coolant are all that is needed to do the preservation.

Expect full details tomorrow morning.

Kindly quote me when you dish it.
Re: Happy New Year! by Pavore9: 9:37am On Jan 02, 2018
@fluentinfor, @Proudlyngwa

The first picture is the "local fridge" contructed in the open for demonstration but it is advisable that it is constructed under a shade, could be under a tree or whatever.

The second is the interior then the third is the interior of an old one with veggies in it. Water is pour into the PVC pipe and the water drips down to soak the jute bags that is used for the outer covering and seven days going the veggies and fruits still retains its freshness.. About N15k or less should handle the construction.

1 Share

Re: Happy New Year! by Yhemit(m): 11:04am On Jan 02, 2018
happy new year boss....
Re: Happy New Year! by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jan 02, 2018
Pavore9:

The first picture is the "local fridge" contructed in the open for demonstration but it is advisable that it is constructed under a shade, could be under a tree or whatever.

The second is the interior then the third is the interior of an old one with veggies in it. Water is pour into the PVC pipe and the water drips down to soak the jute bags that is used for the outer covering and seven days going the veggies and fruits still retains its freshness.. About N15k or less should handle the construction.

Ok. It is called evaporative cooling method. I have read about it too. The jute bags serve the same purpose as charcoal. Another good material is sand. I am trying to figure out how a bigger space that can serve as a "cooler room" can be constructed. A structure which can take around 1,000 baskets/crates of tomatoes. Really thinking if it is worth it and how efficient it will be.

This is a good concept but for home use and not for commercial purpose in my own opinion.
Re: Happy New Year! by Proudlyngwa(m): 2:23pm On Jan 02, 2018
Pavore9:

OK it's a nice concept I will try it out.
Although I doubt if it is a fridge as there is no heat exchange.

I get the concept of under a shade, although something like the old udu, our grandparents used might also work
Re: Happy New Year! by Pavore9: 3:47pm On Jan 02, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

OK it's a nice concept I will try it out.
Although I doubt if it is a fridge as there is no heat exchange.

I get the concept of under a shade, although something like the old udu, our grandparents used might also work

The udu works perfectly even for storage of tomatoes as well. Sand is added to it.
Re: Happy New Year! by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 02, 2018
@Proudlyngwa. @pavore9

Brothers, please share the principle and maybe picture of udu. Kinda interested in it.

I love brainstorming.

@proudlyngwa, it is a fridge. There is absolutely heat exchange. There is a drip round the fridge where water soaks the jute bags used all round the fridge. This is the concept. It is called "evaporative cooling system". It is the same principle of mist and fog used for cooling during summer. While mist and fog are direct, this is indirect. Google it and you will learn more.

Please, could you explain how udu work? What is it like?
Re: Happy New Year! by Pavore9: 5:38am On Jan 03, 2018
fluentinfor:
@Proudlyngwa. @pavore9

Brothers, please share the principle and maybe picture of udu. Kinda interested in it.

I love brainstorming.

@proudlyngwa, it is a fridge. There is absolutely heat exchange. There is a drip round the fridge where water soaks the jute bags used all round the fridge. This is the concept. It is called "evaporative cooling system". It is the same principle of mist and fog used for cooling during summer. While mist and fog are direct, this is indirect. Google it and you will learn more.

Please, could you explain how udu work? What is it like?

Udu simply means clay pot.

Here is an excerpt from a webpage.

"A tomato starts to rot after two days in the open air. A “desert fridge” keeps it fresh for up to 21 days. Also called a zeer pot or a pot-in-pot refrigerator, this electricity-free mechanism is based on thermodynamics. Consisting of two terracotta pots, sand and water, it uses evaporation to keep food fresh.

The zeer is similar to other systems found in regions around the world, such as the matka in India, the botijo in Spain, the uphisi in South Africa, and the garba in Mali. There’s even evidence that the zeer was used in Ancient Egypt and the Indus Valley. In the 1990s, Nigerian teacher Mohammed Bah Abba (I tracked this guy down in 2009 to the North after I read he won the Rolex Awards for Enterprise for coming up with the Pot-in-Pot Preservation Cooling System and needed something sustainable to preserve okra that was wasting away in some communities I worked in, in Anambra State. Unfortunately he was bedridden at that time and finally passed on in 2010) adapted the process to conditions in Africa to help the Sudanese keep their food fresh. Since then, several studies have confirmed its effectiveness in warm, dry climates.

In the West, the zeer has several additional advantages: an economic and ecological alternative to refrigerators, it offers a sustainable way of keeping fruit and vegetables fresh. For people who don’t eat animal-based food products, such as vegans, it’s a way of dispensing with ordinary fridges all together. The zeer could also be used in commercial environments, such as markets, or for transporting fruit and vegetables.

http://www.livingcircular.veolia.com/en/innovations/desert-fridge-keeps-vegetables-fresh-without-electricity

Re: Happy New Year! by babs50g: 7:53am On Jan 03, 2018
@pavore9

Happy new year .I had read your write up with great interest and you have been awesome and consistent.

Please i want you to shed light on how to tackle AFLATOXINS.

its a menace on some food and cash crop.

thanks in anticipation.
Re: Happy New Year! by Proudlyngwa(m): 2:03pm On Jan 03, 2018
Pavore9:

Udu simply means clay pot.

Here is an excerpt from a webpage.

"A tomato starts to rot after two days in the open air. A “desert fridge” keeps it fresh for up to 21 days. Also called a zeer pot or a pot-in-pot refrigerator, this electricity-free mechanism is based on thermodynamics. Consisting of two terracotta pots, sand and water, it uses evaporation to keep food fresh.

The zeer is similar to other systems found in regions around the world, such as the matka in India, the botijo in Spain, the uphisi in South Africa, and the garba in Mali. There’s even evidence that the zeer was used in Ancient Egypt and the Indus Valley. In the 1990s, Nigerian teacher Mohammed Bah Abba (I tracked this guy down in 2009 to the North after I read he won the Rolex Awards for Enterprise for coming up with the Pot-in-Pot Preservation Cooling System and needed something sustainable to preserve okra that was wasting away in some communities I worked in, in Anambra State. Unfortunately he was bedridden at that time and finally passed on in 2010) adapted the process to conditions in Africa to help the Sudanese keep their food fresh. Since then, several studies have confirmed its effectiveness in warm, dry climates.

In the West, the zeer has several additional advantages: an economic and ecological alternative to refrigerators, it offers a sustainable way of keeping fruit and vegetables fresh. For people who don’t eat animal-based food products, such as vegans, it’s a way of dispensing with ordinary fridges all together. The zeer could also be used in commercial environments, such as markets, or for transporting fruit and vegetables.

http://www.livingcircular.veolia.com/en/innovations/desert-fridge-keeps-vegetables-fresh-without-electricity
@ fluentifor
in addition to what pavore9 has said if you could find means to sterilize your vegetables and baggage it in clean nylons, you will get a longer shelf life.
when this method is used under a cool place with half of the pot in earth, you tend to get better results
unfortunately am far from where i can upload pictures.

1 Like

Re: Happy New Year! by ShadowM(m): 11:47am On Jan 04, 2019
Hello Pavore I stay in Kaduna Nigeria and I would like to go into carrot farming. Is it too late as we are already in January. I don't want the heat to kill them off
Re: Happy New Year! by Pavore9: 1:52pm On Jan 04, 2019
ShadowM:
Hello Pavore I stay in Kaduna Nigeria and I would like to go into carrot farming. Is it too late as we are already in January. I don't want the heat to kill them off

I don't have an idea of the local conditions in terms of temperature, rainfall, soil type etc so I can't advise appropriately. Are there carrot farms around where you intend to set up?

(1) (Reply)

See 10 Hilarious (but Fictional) Animal Hybrids (photos) / Between Cassava Farming And Plantain Farming, Which Is More Viable? / Giving Out Free Ebooks On Different Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.