Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,192 members, 7,845,910 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Who Was Lawful In This Situation? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Was Lawful In This Situation? (408 Views)

As A Nigerian, How Will You Handle This Situation? / Current Situation In South Korea! / Situation Reports On Transport Fares Across The Country This Yuletide. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Was Lawful In This Situation? by BigBashiru: 12:31pm On Jan 02, 2018
1. Traveller had a valid Nigerian visa on an valid Canadian passport.
2. Traveller did not check immigration stamp on Canasian passport saying one month maximum stay in Nigeria.
3. Traveller also has a Nigerian passport but it is expired.
4. Traveller stayed more than 1 month in Nigeria and was returning back to Canada when s/he was told by Nigerian customs that he overstayed; Nigerian passport was not accepted to them as it was expired.
They then tried to cause the flight to be missed.

Were they right in demanding that s/he go and apply for a stay extension within the airport?

My understanding is while there was an overstay on a Canadian passport, after the 1 month elapsed he became covered as a Nigerian citizen regardless of if the Nigerian passport is expired or not as it is merely a travel document not a proof of citizenship.

They demanded bribes and threatened I would miss my flight if I don't comply.

Were they right on insisting I have broken the law or was I right on the analysis above?

What exactly is the law in this situation - bona fide Nigerian citizens cannot overstay in their own country can they? Regardless of if passport is expired it not.

Inputs pls.
Re: Who Was Lawful In This Situation? by NothingDoMe: 5:09pm On Jan 02, 2018
Why did traveler get a Visa if traveler could use travelers passport?
Re: Who Was Lawful In This Situation? by Nobody: 9:35pm On May 18, 2019
Nice use of white in this shot!!

(1) (Reply)

Become A Millionaire Through An Integrated Farming Systems / BREAKING: Baby Dead, Several Others Injured In Trailer, Motorbike Acciden / UK Home Office’s Mechanisms For Learning From Immigration Litigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.