Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,591 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Can Nigeria Contain Messi? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Can Nigeria Contain Messi? (712 Views)

FIFA Women World Cup 2015: Can Nigeria Still Qualify? / Can Nigeria Raise A Team Like Barcelona Or Chelsea? / Can Nigeria Win The World Cup 2014 In Brazil? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigeria Contain Messi? by jaygreat: 4:14pm On Apr 07, 2010
Call him the Lebron or Kobe of soccer. Even on an off night,  they are guaranteed to perform. Messi is a world class footballer who seem to have alot to offer in his bag of tricks. Messi's brilliance against arsenal's weak defense was impeccable.  While watching the quarter final between arsenal and Barcelona, at some point it felt as if i was watching or playing a soccer video game.  For those who are familiar with winning eleven or pro evolution you would easily relate with me on this one.

A true power forward is what Messi is.World class goal scorers are opportunist who are always are the place at the right time. The best and only possible way to contain a player of messi's caliber is not to let him have the ball. in other words, double teaming him and this is going to cause lapses in other areas of your defence.

Can Nigeria contain Messi? This is an ambivalent question, Yes and No are the answers for me. Apparently the Nigerian squad from Holland 2005 and Beijing 2008 Olympics have tried to contain Messi twice but both attempts were relatively unsuccessful. Mind you, there was a vast improvement in the defence  of '08 sqaud than that of '05.  Some of you may argue in favour of the Nigerian squad that we would be successful against Messi but please bear in mind, Messi  brilliancy is  just going to get better. He is only 23 years of age now and already won european and world footballer awards. From another perspective, all the pieces and parts that make up Barcelona team is different (in that they are mostly top quality players) from that of the Argentine team so can that influence Messi performance at the world cup?

Lars Largerback knows all about  world class players like Ronaldo of brazil and Messi who do not necessarily need to have a huge possession of the ball before they are the impact player of the game.

My argument:  Can Nigeria contain Messi? what's your opinion?
Re: Can Nigeria Contain Messi? by jaffi: 8:21pm On Apr 07, 2010
i don't think so o
that guy no get mercy o!
messi no get mercy @ goal o.
Re: Can Nigeria Contain Messi? by azeeza(f): 8:48pm On Apr 07, 2010
The guy is a kill joy and merciless.
Re: Can Nigeria Contain Messi? by snakova(m): 12:58pm On Apr 08, 2010
no be okonkwo hold am for olympics he's magnifique for Barcelona, not so Argentina.
Re: Can Nigeria Contain Messi? by abrahym(m): 4:08pm On Apr 08, 2010
We go try
Re: Can Nigeria Contain Messi? by Nobody: 4:27am On Apr 09, 2010
na yam?

(1) (Reply)

Serbia Vs Ghana: Who Will Win? / Chelsea Gaze At £10m Pounce For Promising Young Full-back / Flying Eagles 5 – 0 Guatemala Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.