Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,495 members, 7,850,729 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:10 AM

The Need For A True L.g Autonomy In 9ja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Need For A True L.g Autonomy In 9ja (287 Views)

Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary / Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary / Teachers Protest Against Council Autonomy In Oyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Need For A True L.g Autonomy In 9ja by Ajiboye2000(m): 7:08pm On Jan 02, 2018
Oluwatosin Oyewole Ajiboye
26 December at 21:18
 THE URGENT NEED FOR A TRUE LOCAL GOVERNMENT AUTONOMY IN NIGERIA
Showing up in discussing the real shape and position of the true local government in the State Nigeria is not to leave the realistic parts untold. You need to quote me well in the phrase "TRUE AUTONOMY", I never stand to dispute the fact that there is "autonomy" in the third tier of governmental institution in Nigeria but it is to some certain extents and in the theoritical approach.
Having thinked critically as a public analyst has made me to conclude that only two tiers of federalism is been practised in the realistic point of view, the grass root government with time is becoming a camouflage and a parastatal/agency/ministry of the state government to perfect manipulation.
Looking into the absence of true federalism in the country is an adiitional proof to the ineffectiveness and inefficiency of local government in Nigeria. Having a full believe that reasonable Nigerians will agree
with me that we need to start clamouring and agitating for the autonomy in the Local Govenment System. The reforms,ammendments been made are effective to certain extents most especially in its uniformity and power delegation.
Most of the elected Local Govenment Executive Members and Legislators or Transition Implementation Committee, as the case may be for each state, are mostly imposed by the superior i.e state power. State power is what I defined as the utilisation of power by incumbent government both constitutional
and unconstitutional but mostly unconstitutional in a country like Nigeria.
I came out in postulating in this edition that in five aspects, local government is not having the autonomy in excercising her power;
1. Allocation/Finance
2. Decision Making
3. Selection
4. Revenue/Tax generation
5. Public Spending
Allocation/Finance: State and Local Government Joint Account is a common word that has been trending in Nigeria Speaking Records for a while, our so called representatives haven't paid more attention in dicussing a crucial issue like this. The State Government is not supposed to have the control over the Allocation/Finance. The main reason I see behind defaut of Local Government Staff salaries is due to lack of autonomy in the Allocation/
Finance aspect.
Preferably, I suggests that the Federal Government should have an Inter Governmental Relations (IGR) in a direct form with the Local Government. The grassroot government dont have any option than to collect the token been sent to them by the State Government. The Federal Government should please take a critical look into this.
Decision Making: I will be very concised on this. Local Government Council so far in the administration cannot decide on their own except directives are taken from the superior. This is not supposed to be, less for the State Government to serve as Checks on them even to some limitations. Most of this order are always topdown and vertical. In Decision making they have no say than to subject to order whether favourable or not, making it less democratic in practice.
Thirdly, in the aspect of Selection both in political and civil set-up, i won't refer it as imposition but the use of state power and "Geo Random Selection"(been propounded in a previous pubication) respectively. Politically, Selection is based on election on and appointment due to the democratic atmosphere. In the real sense the state government use the incumbent power they possess in ensuring their political party emerge at all cost which is unconstitutional, the need to allow the People at the grassroot to excercise their franchise wthout interference. State Goveenment do complicate the issues during election resulting to election irregularities, malpractices and all sorts of election odds, despite the state power they do fail but on rare occasion.
More over, the State Government also use the State Power to influence the State Electoral Commmission to let the election be in their favour and uses "The People's Lasts Hope" i.e Judiciary when they seek redress as part of their rights by their usual unconstitutional custom of manipulating things.
Revenue/Tax Collection: Here we come for loud out sake, the Local Government has no revenue and tax power. A popular saying; "The power to tax is the power to rule". The sources of revenue and tax generation have been taken up by the State Government which have resulted to inability in discharging her financial functions without Allocation/
Finance from Federal and State Government. Therefore, Local Government System should be restored back to it normal position in order for it to perform well. The concurrent list belonging to them should be allowed to freely operate.
Lastly is the Public Spending, Local Government can't discharge their financial duties today without directive from their boss i.e State Government. Thems setting up Local government System is just for the principle of federalism to be implemented.
Having discussed five divergent issues concerning the Local Government autonomy in Nigeria. I believe sensitive Nigerians should wake up from political and administrative slumber and start agitating for true autonomy and not just an ordinary autonomy. Local Government should be well re-organised and recognised by the constitution embodied with full legitimate power, enough constitutional provision,restructuring should be made for them. They should be independent and autonomous for its effectiveness and efficiency.
Thanks. I remain Ajiboye Oluwatosin Oyewole. Department of Public Administration, Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin. Kwara State.

(1) (Reply)

Haulage / 2012 Oil Was $111.67, Fuel Price With Subsidy N65 & Without Subsidy N141 / Alleged Murder: Ekiti Monarch Admitted At Prison’s Clinic, Absent In Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.