Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,299 members, 7,819,010 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

Newly Elected President Of Liberia Asks Opposition To Nominate Candidates - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Newly Elected President Of Liberia Asks Opposition To Nominate Candidates (777 Views)

Trump: When ISIS Attacks Vatican, "You Would Wish I Was Elected President" / George Weah Is New President Of Liberia / George Weah Wins Liberia Presidential Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Newly Elected President Of Liberia Asks Opposition To Nominate Candidates by nawtyme: 9:24pm On Jan 02, 2018
In a move that suggests a desire to unite the country after the recent presidential run-off election, the president-elect of Liberia, George Weah has asked his opponent to suggest capable candidates for appointment into his government.

The former football star who won a landslide in the December 26, 2017 run-off election, visited his opponent in the election and the outgoing vice president, Joseph Boakai.

Mr. Weah wrote in his Facebook page that he visited Mr Boakai on New Year’s Day as “a sign of solidarity and good will”, saying the election was over and that Liberia was the true winner.

“I informed him that Liberia is the true winner, and that we must all work collectively in the best interest of our Country,” he wrote.

“I further intimated that he’s a man of impeccable character and experience, and that his expertise will be needed in order to move our Country forward. I further assured him that he will be granted due courtesy according to the law as a statesman and outgoing VP.

“Finally, I did suggest to him to put forth his people that he believes are capable of helping us move Liberia forward. Happy new year to you all,” he wrote.

Mr Boakai conceded defeat to Mr Weah even before the final results of the election was announced. He explained that he did so because he wanted to prevent bloodshed.

“I reject any temptation of imposing pain, hardship, agony, and uncertainty upon our people. My name will not be used as an excuse for one drop of human blood to be spilled in this country,” he said.

“Earlier today, I paid a courtesy visit to the Honorable Vice President, Hon. Joseph Nyumah Boakai as a sign of solidarity and good will; and to wish him happy new year. I expressed to him that the elections are over now, and that there’s no winner here.

“I informed him that Liberia is the true winner, and that we must all work collectively in the best interest of our Country. I further intimated that he’s a man of impeccable character and experience, and that his expertise will be needed in order to move our Country forward. I further assured him that he will be granted due courtesy according to the law as a statesman and outgoing VP.

“Finally, I did suggest to him to put forth his people that he believes are capable of helping us move Liberia forward. Happy new year to you all.

“May God bless you.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/254220-george-weah-asks-opponent-nominate-candidates-appointment-govt.html
Re: Newly Elected President Of Liberia Asks Opposition To Nominate Candidates by nawtyme: 9:26pm On Jan 02, 2018
Our own president will rather appoint dead men than let this happen
Re: Newly Elected President Of Liberia Asks Opposition To Nominate Candidates by nawtyme: 9:27pm On Jan 02, 2018
Mynd44 lalasticlala please come and help us appoint dead men for George Weah.
Re: Newly Elected President Of Liberia Asks Opposition To Nominate Candidates by iBlaze(m): 9:32pm On Jan 02, 2018
we need dese kind of leaders in nigeria who will look above differences (gender, political affiliations, region and ethnicity and especially religion)
but seriously, can we rest from news about weah...lets focus on our own kwantry
Re: Newly Elected President Of Liberia Asks Opposition To Nominate Candidates by Zendinho(m): 9:40pm On Jan 02, 2018
Another African Hero in the making.

Over here we look for our old uncles to appoint COS...
Our sisters to make commissioner for happiness and ovulations.
Dead and buried party fellows as board members.

No wonder our amiable, patriotic, gentle, loving, project oriented, ever smiling and the best president Nigeria EVER produced took out time to baptized you with encomium.

Mr George u'r indeed the future of African democracy after Mr GEJ.

Oh I forget..... initials starts with G.
Re: Newly Elected President Of Liberia Asks Opposition To Nominate Candidates by Oche211(m): 9:50pm On Jan 02, 2018
Leadership is a call to service but here in Nigeria, it's a call to be served (and that's if we even truly have leaders nd not rulers).
Still waiting for this to happen between APC and PDP.
Re: Newly Elected President Of Liberia Asks Opposition To Nominate Candidates by Samusu(m): 9:56pm On Jan 02, 2018
Good one Weah
Re: Newly Elected President Of Liberia Asks Opposition To Nominate Candidates by Tallesty1(m): 9:58pm On Jan 02, 2018
The next on Okorocha's statue list.
Re: Newly Elected President Of Liberia Asks Opposition To Nominate Candidates by lordkush: 9:59pm On Jan 02, 2018
well nor be by age. all bubu is interested in is cow

Re: Newly Elected President Of Liberia Asks Opposition To Nominate Candidates by kenny1795(m): 6:29am On Jan 03, 2018
lordkush:
well nor be by age. all bubu is interested in is cow
whoever did this Photoshop is a genius

(1) (Reply)

Trump’s Impeachment Hearing / 2023: We Don't Want A President Like Paul Biya Of Cameroon / No Ukrainian Soldier Has Died Since This War Isnt That Wonderful?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.