Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays (29024 Views)

Let ‘Responsible Citizens’ Carry Guns – Ortom Begs FG / Fuel Scarcity Looms As FG, Oil Marketers Disagree On Pricing / Oil Marketers To Shut Down ALL Loading Operations By Midnight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by whatofyou: 11:21am On Jan 04, 2018
GavelSlam:

When Dangote's refinery comes on stream the industry would be fully regulated.

Doing so would lead to competition and a stable price regime.

This country is slowly getting to full-time paralysis if we should put all our eggs into dangote's refineries; if the government doesn't know the fundermentals of what a nation ought to be then why not resign! What can one really boast that they have 'giftedly' gotten our government since time immemorial.
Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by 7lives: 11:30am On Jan 04, 2018
whatofyou:

This country is slowly getting to full-time paralysis if we should put all our eggs into dangote's refineries; if the government doesn't know the fundermentals of what a nation ought to be then why not resign! What can one really boast that they have 'giftedly' gotten our government since time immemorial.

What we need is more private refineries and an outright ban on fuel importations.
All these THIEVING oil marketers should release their licences, go and do NEW business.
No be BY FORCE to sell petroleum products na.
Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by GavelSlam: 11:35am On Jan 04, 2018
7lives:

What we need is more private refineries and an outright ban on fuel importations.
All these THIEVING oil marketers should release their licences, go and do NEW business.

Actually what we need would be more refineries and liberalization of the downstream sector. Complete deregulation.

Should you ban imports the refineries would hold the country to ransom.

Let them compete with imports and both sides would keep their prices low.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by whatofyou: 1:15pm On Jan 04, 2018
7lives:

Even if we are trying to run Capitalism, government should know that there are sectors where private individuals can never be the backbone. As of now, government should revoke all the licences for importation of the constituents of crude oil, hand every importation to a reformed N.N.P.C., then renew its agenda of constructing refineries.
Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by cyberguy72(m): 4:43pm On Jan 04, 2018
deenee:

First and foremost I didn't abuse anybody whilst trying to pass my message across and I would expect that you don't do same to me or any other person for that matter.

It's very simple.....and I will say again...if the fuel importers feel they are not making profit from their importation, they should close shop and look for another business to do. It is not by force to be a fuel importer. The same scenario played out with cement until Dangote started manufacturing cement in Nigeria. We tried subsidy and we know how it ended up being used for fraud. Even up till now the Govt of the day is still redeeming sovereign debt notes from subsidy claims in the past and you say govt should start subsidizing again? Hell No!

Now they are asking for tax holidays....from my very little understanding of business economics tax holidays only make sense for investors looking to inflow long term FDI for critical development, to encourage SMES and for CSR reasons.

I say again if this option is considered...it will still be abused and more most of these marketers and importers save for the big 5 (Oando, Forte, Nipco,MRS and Mobil) only prepare management accounts and already even evade tax so granting them tax holidays will only create room for them to legalize this.

This is akin to how our Igbo brothers in the east will travel to China to ask their Chinese manufacturers to reduce the quantity and quality of components used in manufacturing items for import so they can make more margins. Every body is just rent seeking and we at the same time want the country and govt of the day to succeed.

God bless Nigeria.
Sorry for being too harsh.But I was thinking you u would proffer a solution to the fuel quagmire.What do we do to remedy this situation.I for one think deregulation is the most sincere thing to do now.Something GEJ wanted implement then but for the massive protest by Buhari and his 40thieves gang.I know Bubu would never toe deregulation becos it wud seems like going back to his vomit.
Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by deenee: 5:07pm On Jan 04, 2018
cyberguy72:
Sorry for being too harsh.But I was thinking you u would proffer a solution to the fuel quagmire.What do we do to remedy this situation.I for one think deregulation is the most sincere thing to do now.Something GEJ wanted implement then but for the massive protest by Buhari and his 40thieves gang.I know Bubu would never toe deregulation becos it wud seems like going back to his vomit.

Deregulation will not work in Nigeria. What a lot of people don't know is that fuel is the oxygen that drives the Nigerian economy. At this point govt cannot deregulate and leave the citizens at the mercy of the greedy fuel importers. If this is done there will be total chaos. First you need to understand that these importers work like a cartel and will use price to blackmail people just as they are using artificial scarcity to do same

I know people will say AGO and DPK have been deregulated but truth is what is the market size for those that use these two products combined compared to PMS. In lay man's terms, how many people still use kerosene stoves? Most use gas now and there is even firewood as an alternative, also how people use diesel generators?

If govt does not keep a close watch on fuel prices, there will be total chaos in the system.
And the 145naira price was agreed using dollar conversion of 360naira to the dollar. Now they get dollar @ 305-306naira so it's ironic that they are screaming blue murder. They even get priority service when it comes to funding their Letters of credit.

Imagine that last week Sunday you go to your barber and this week you repeat the same trip only to hear that cost of haircut has tripled because fuel price has also tripled. A lot of small businesses depend on fuel for sustenance and living the price at the mercy of importers is not advisable.

I hear that the Govt has agreed to make dollar available to them @ below the previous rate of 305naira....let see which excuse they will bring up now.

God bless Nigeria.

P.S I will still reiterate that landing cost for PMS is not 171 naira because I have facts to back up my claim and for those that don't know NNPC is ideally meant to be aback up importer focusing on import only for strategic reserves which is what we have been enjoying since the hoarding and artificial scarcity started

Instead of hammering on import only why can't they pull their resources together and build a modular refinery?

Yet again I can't wait for Dangote to finish his refinery because I know that the refinery will be a game changer!

1 Like

Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by Neoteny(m): 5:24pm On Jan 04, 2018
LionDeLeo:

How does my comment say otherwise? angry

Read back what you wrote.

Tax is and never was the issue.

They just want to use tax waivers to alleviate their costs
Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by ihatesycophant(m): 6:21pm On Jan 04, 2018
grandstar:

I had five distinctions in my GCE and repeated the same feat in WAEC. Had A1 in Economics, Geography and Government. Even had A3 in both maths and English.
But you misfired in your comment. Don't do that again. Let people always know from your comment that this is an intelligent fellow.
Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by Gerrard59(m): 6:32pm On Jan 04, 2018
deenee:

Deregulation will not work in Nigeria. What a lot of people don't know is that fuel is the oxygen that drives the Nigerian economy. At this point govt cannot deregulate and leave the citizens at the mercy of the greedy fuel importers. If this is done there will be total chaos. First you need to understand that these importers work like a cartel and will use price to blackmail people just as they are using artificial scarcity to do same

I know people will say AGO and DPK have been deregulated but truth is what is the market size for those that use these two products combined compared to PMS. In lay man's terms, how many people still use kerosene stoves? Most use gas now and there is even firewood as an alternative, also how people use diesel generators?

If govt does not keep a close watch on fuel prices, there will be total chaos in the system.
And the 145naira price was agreed using dollar conversion of 360naira to the dollar. Now they get dollar @ 305-306naira so it's ironic that they are screaming blue murder. They even get priority service when it comes to funding their Letters of credit.

Imagine that last week Sunday you go to your barber and this week you repeat the same trip only to hear that cost of haircut has tripled because fuel price has also tripled. A lot of small businesses depend on fuel for sustenance and living the price at the mercy of importers is not advisable.

I hear that the Govt has agreed to make dollar available to them @ below the previous rate of 305naira....let see which excuse they will bring up now.

God bless Nigeria.

P.S I will still reiterate that landing cost for PMS is not 171 naira because I have facts to back up my claim and for those that don't know NNPC is ideally meant to be aback up importer focusing on import only for strategic reserves which is what we have been enjoying since the hoarding and artificial scarcity started

Instead of hammering on import only why can't they pull their resources together and build a modular refinery?

Yet again I can't wait for Dangote to finish his refinery because I know that the refinery will be a game changer!

I greatly appreciate your treatise on economic issues. Right from the days of PE.

However, at the bolded, what has made it difficult for Nigeria to provide constant electricity to her citizens? Like the poster you quoted, I also believe deregulation is the best thing for Nigeria at this stage. And yes, I agree with you that deregulating the sector now will usher in high prices of goods and services across the land because of petrol. Question is: Why can the government not be able to provide constant electricity? By then, I believe deregulation will be in order.

Thanks.
Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by grandstar(m): 6:35pm On Jan 04, 2018
ihatesycophant:
But you misfired in your comment. Don't do that again. Let people always know from your comment that this is an intelligent fellow.

I did not bother arguing because I know supporters of fuel subsidies are fueled by emotions and no argument for its removal will hardly be accepted.

No point wasting energy there!
Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by LionDeLeo: 9:14pm On Jan 04, 2018
Neoteny:

Read back what you wrote.

Tax is and never was the issue.

They just want to use tax waivers to alleviate their costs
And I ask again, how does my comment say otherwise?

Pls point out the words that suggest so.
Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by Vanpascore(m): 7:38am On Jan 05, 2018
Thank you for the enlightenment.
omenkaLives:
A holiday is a time of rest, break or less work. Tax holiday is therefore a period of "tax rest", "tax break" or "less tax".

I explained that in the simplest terms.

Giving them such holiday simply means the expenses they incure upon importing the products would be less, therefore even if they sell at lower or regulated prices, they'd still make reasonable profits.
Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by omenkaLives(m): 7:47am On Jan 05, 2018
Vanpascore:
Thank you for the enlightenment.
Youre welcome.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Price: Oil Marketers Backpedal, Begs FG For Tax Holidays by deenee: 7:34pm On Jan 05, 2018
Gerrard59:

I greatly appreciate your treatise on economic issues. Right from the days of PE.

However, at the bolded, what has made it difficult for Nigeria to provide constant electricity to her citizens? Like the poster you quoted, I also believe deregulation is the best thing for Nigeria at this stage. And yes, I agree with you that deregulating the sector now will usher in high prices of goods and services across the land because of petrol. Question is: Why can the government not be able to provide constant electricity? By then, I believe deregulation will be in order.

Thanks.

Bro I wish I have the answers to why the power sector is comatose but I don't. Sometimes I even wish I can just wave a magic wand and gbam we have light but alas I am not God!

What I can say is a lot of the problems we face today is as a result of cumulative years of decay and neglect on the part of both the government and citizens.

Germany now generates about 40k megawatts from wind turbines and at some point were even paying people some form of incentives to use light. I also cried when i read this on bloomberg and just kept asking where we got it wrong as a country!

China currently has the largest hydro electric power station in the world and the largest solar panel station too generating enough electricity to cater for their population twice.

There is enough sunshine in the north for people to build solar panels on commercial scale but the moment this idea is brought to light we begin to analyze along tribal, ethnic and religious lines as to why the project should be sited in Akaw Ibom as against Borno or Kano and also how what is generated should be passed on to the national grid etc etc. We also politicize everything.

I am aware that some Europeans came in 2014 to pitch to the government on some proposal to build commercial solar panel sites. They were ready to foot the cost of construction and maintenance and only asked government to put some legislation so people can buy solar panels at cheap prices and buy the units of electricity but the senate killed it for obvious reasons. The same people are making milestone achievements in Sudan and Ethiopia

I pray God will open our eyes one day and God bless Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Official PDP Agents Attacked In Kano Rerun Elections / Appeal Court Voids Order On E-Transmission Of Election Results In Lagos / Agbaje Promises Free Internet Access To Lagosians If He Wins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.