Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes (1669 Views)

Police Kill 2 Robbers In Abuja, Recover Pistol And Bullets (photo) / FESTAC Bank Robbery Suspect Arrested With 86 Bullets (photo) / "AK47 & Bullets" SMS: How Would You Explain Your Innocence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by LFJ: 6:09pm On Apr 08, 2010
Twenty-four-year-old Miss Gladys Chinwenwa Nwankwo, a graduate of Computer Science of the Abia State Polytechnic, Aba, has cause to be eternally grateful to God. She had embarked on a trip to Sokoto State for the National Youth Service on March 2, 2009 when the bus she was travelling in ran into armed robbers between the Zamfara and Sokoto boarder.

Chinwenwa

The bandits had blocked their bus and opened fire on it for about 45 minutes after which six persons were killed and many others, including her, were seriously wounded.

The incident happened at Zamfara-Sokoto boarder between 9 and10 O’clock in the morning, after they have had a hitch-free all night journey.

The attack

Each time I remember that incident, I feel very strange. But I thank God who saved my life that day, not because I am more important to those who died, but because of his grace upon my life. He just chose to make me live.

A sound echoed like that of gunshot and I thought that our tyre had burst. Somebody in the bus told us that it was a gunshot. We all lay down on the floor of the vehicle. After a while, the driver and the conductor ran to the back of the vehicle to take cover. Those shooting were outside and for about 45 minutes they were still spraying bullets on the vehicle. They probably wanted to ensure that .every living thing in that bus was dead before they came in to rob. If not, why should people just open fire on travellers who did not resist them?

They were speaking languages we could not understand. The doors of the vehicle were wide open and they did not enter. They just kept shooting at the vehicle like people who had made up their mind to kill every one inside before coming in.

At that juncture, the conductor just ran out and told them to shoot him instead of shooting us as we are only youth corpers. They stopped shooting and ordered us to come down from the bus and we all came down. But by this time three people had already died inside the vehicle.

Then they saw an Hausa boy that had a dagger hanging on his left shoulder and shot him on the spot, making the number of dead persons four on the spot.

Before we got to the hospital, two other people died, making the number of dead people six, all boys. While we were on the ground, where we lay face down, we heard gunshot and I thought that they were shooting us one after the other, not knowing that it was policemen who were coming to our rescue. There was exchange of fire between them after which the robbers ran away. While we were outside, they entered the vehicle and were carting away our luggage, tearing them with their knives and searching for money and other valuables. They collected phones, but I was lucky that my phone fell down on the step by the door side and they did not see it.

My bullet wound

While I was inside the vehicle, I felt some sharp pains when they were shooting. I looked at it and saw myself in my own pool of blood. I removed my scarf and tied it on the spot to stop the bleeding. At that time the pain was not felt much. After that I called my pastor on phone and he assured me that nothing would happen to me. I noticed that the bullet in my arm was moving about. The police people, who came, took us to the hospital and called NYSC officials who came and transferred us to Usman Danfodio Teaching Hospital, Sokoto. There, they started giving us treatment and booked a date to operate on me and brought out the bullets.

On the appointed date, I was operated upon and the bullets, about six of them, were removed from my hand and that was after a week and three days. But unknown to me one was still lodging in my head. After six days, I felt like scratching a portion of my head that was making me uncomfortable.

While I was doing that one of the bullets fell down from my head, followed by blood. My fellow corpers started shouting and they took me to the clinic where I was given first aid after which I went to the hospital where I was treated.

When I saw the list that I would be serving in Sokoto State, I was not happy because I had prayed and hoped that I would be posted to Delta State or any of the mid-western states. I felt that since there are many companies there, if I am posted there, I might be retained in the company I served.

But when the posting came out and I knew that there was nothing else I could do, I prayed to God to lead me safely to the place. However, on Saturday, preceding the Sunday that I was to travel, I saw myself in a hospital in the dream, with a big hole in my hand and I was being treated. I was not shown what brought about the wound.

When I woke up, I told my elder sister about it and she rebuked me, saying that it was like the service had gone into my head. That did I think that I was the first person that has gone for service. Because of what she said, I just prayed ordinarily, not going extra mile as would have done in situation of that nature.

The journey

On Sunday morning, at about 8 O’clock, I left our house to Ezenwata transport, which goes to Sokoto, purchased my ticket and was told to come back before 4p.m and so we should try to be at the terminal before 4 O’clock. I went back to church at Kingdom Citizens Ministries and waited till after service. Then, around 3:00p.m, I went back to the bus terminal and by 4p.m., we took off.

I prayed in the Church and was sure that God would see me through. Ours was a direct bus to Sokoto and we travelled peacefully throughout the night into the next morning. At about 9-10 O’clock, I noticed that our vehicle had stopped between Zamfara –Sokoto boarder and the hoodlums struck.

When we got to the hospital, I phoned my uncle and told him, but asked him not to allow my mother to know about it, because if she does, she would not believe that I was still alive and she might kill herself before I come back.

My uncle encouraged me to be strong that he would be praying for me, and he was calling me every day till the day I came out from the theatre.

It was NYSC that paid the bill for the treatment. On the appointed date, I was operated upon, after a week and three days.

In all, I thank God who did not allow me to be shot dead by the robbers. If not for him, I would have been dead by now. I was the only girl that was shot. However, I thank NYSC officials in Sokoto State for taking good care of me and my colleagues who went out of their way to show me love. I know that some of them will read this interview, and I want them to know that I appreciate every bit of their assistance to me and to tell them that God will surely reward them for their kind gesture.

Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by radiovibe: 6:14pm On Apr 08, 2010
Na wa o. Nigeria, we hail thee.
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by Fhemmmy: 6:14pm On Apr 08, 2010
This is really madness.
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by yarodin: 6:19pm On Apr 08, 2010
Even the North that people said had low rates of armed robbery is becoming a hot zone. If religious bigots do not get you I guess armed robbers will.
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by bkbabe97: 6:44pm On Apr 08, 2010
yarodin:

Even the North that people said had low rates of armed robbery is becoming a hot zone. If religious bigots do not get you I guess armed robbers will.

Most likely Ibo armed robbers taking a break from the "regular" kidnappings. Now they trying to export they thuggery up north!!! Shame!
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by mamagee3(f): 6:45pm On Apr 08, 2010
It's not kidnappers anymore, it's now robbers. God help Nigeria!!! sad
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by Nobody: 6:48pm On Apr 08, 2010
bk/babe97:

Most likely Ibo armed robbers taking a break from the "regular" kidnappings. Now they trying to export they thuggery up north!!! Shame!

What makes you think they are igbo ?
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by Jakumo(m): 6:54pm On Apr 08, 2010
A similarly harrowing but far deadlier incident was reported two years ago from the eastern part of Nigeria.  Bandits in jeeps brought a convoy of three 50-seater "luxurious" buses to a stop in the dead of night near the Niger River Bridge.  Passengers were laid out on the ground for the usual search, when a mobile policeman hiding in one of the buses opened fire on some members of the gang.

In swift retaliation, the bus containing the policeman was riddled with an assault rifle firestorm, instantly killing the kamikaze police officer, but that was only the start of the horror to come.   Enraged at the effrontery of the disguised policeman, the robbers ordered their victims separated by gender, after which 49 men were machinegunned into jelly where they lay in a group, making that incident by far the deadliest single highway robbery attack in Nigerian history.

Any person foolhardy enough to travel BY NIGHT, on ANY Nigerian highway, stands an easy 50% chance of getting ambushed, chased, robbed or killed by highwaymen.  It is probably a good thing that statistics are not kept to tally the true death toll exacted on travellers along Nigeria's highways.
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by yarodin: 6:55pm On Apr 08, 2010
bk/babe97:

Statement from a typical follow follow yoba person. Just because your family members eat shit does not mean you have to eat too.
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by Fhemmmy: 7:55pm On Apr 08, 2010
Another thread gone tribal . . . .
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by jimmysho(m): 7:56pm On Apr 08, 2010
i do not support jakumo assertion  in any form. seems i know the gal
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by Fhemmmy: 7:57pm On Apr 08, 2010
jimmysho:

i do not support jakumo assertion  in any form. seems i know the gal

ok
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by violent(m): 8:06pm On Apr 08, 2010
Don't worry fellas, everything is under control grin
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by oge4real(f): 9:16pm On Apr 08, 2010
Thank God for her life. I guess she should change her name to Miracle.
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by sjeezy8: 9:45pm On Apr 08, 2010
lol naw they arent from the south probably notherners and muslims at it again. lol jk
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by kosovo(m): 11:18pm On Apr 08, 2010
sad cry
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by shotster50(m): 12:16am On Apr 09, 2010
Most highway robberies in the north are carried out by millitants from Niger. Bk shame on you., your mum must be real proud.
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by stiyke(m): 2:45am On Apr 09, 2010
Na wa ohhh!!

@bk,
Sorry oohhh!! you are a pity!
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by crisngige(m): 5:45am On Apr 09, 2010

Bk u are nothing but an igbo hating, nerve grating retard.go get a life, cockroach.
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by rickie4us(m): 7:16am On Apr 09, 2010
what a horror!
can someone please tell us how security can be improved in this country?
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by rasputinn(m): 8:38am On Apr 09, 2010
yarodin:

Statement from a typical follow follow yoba person. Just because your family members eat poo does not mean you have to eat too.

grin grin grin grin grin

Tribalism and religion,who will deliver Nigeria from these malaise
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by otokx(m): 8:42am On Apr 09, 2010
Those gun men were probably from neighbouring countries; NYSC should be redesigned so that people are posted to their various states of origin.
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by rasputinn(m): 8:42am On Apr 09, 2010
Jakumo:

Any person foolhardy enough to travel BY NIGHT, on ANY Nigerian highway, stands an easy 50% chance of getting ambushed, chased, robbed or killed by highwaymen.  It is probably a good thing that statistics are not kept to tally the true death toll exacted on travellers along Nigeria's highways.

Hope intending travellers are reading this
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by rasputinn(m): 8:44am On Apr 09, 2010
otokx:

NYSC should be redesigned so that people are posted to their various states of origin.

That would defeat the original aim of establishing it,the scheme should be scrapped completely
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by igboboy1(m): 9:11am On Apr 09, 2010
bk/babe97:

I actually confirmed it. you are right it was 3 igbos and 3 yoruba muslims (this yoruba muslims sef) grin
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by desgiezd(m): 9:12am On Apr 09, 2010
For this to have happened around 9 & 10am shows that our roads are not safe and that attacks could come anytime. Thank God for saving her life.

And to you tribal bigots, its such a shame that with all the things said in that post, you have found a way of reducing it to a tribal issue. You guys should be ashamed.
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by cicero(m): 1:57pm On Apr 15, 2010
I look forward to the day someone with brains will come along and scrap this NYSC thing.
Great program I admit, but bad administrators, plus our society is not set up for it.
Re: Robbers From Hell: Spray Bullets On Bus For 45 Minutes by Osama10(m): 4:40am On Apr 16, 2010
Save thy soul from evil men.

(1) (Reply)

Collins Oleka, 51, Held For Sleeping With His Daughters / Nigerians Sentenced To Death In Malaysia For Drug Trafficking / 19yr Old Chudi-hengari-ajufo Jailed For Life For The Murder Of Teenager (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.