Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,668 members, 7,823,887 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! (50195 Views)

Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly / English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! / Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by uvalued(m): 7:03pm On Jan 08, 2018
Op DAT name na o .. Don't tell us how to pronounce that ur name
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by Richiez(m): 7:27pm On Jan 08, 2018
Nice Thread
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 08, 2018
U.k Eng and U.S are not dsame. D way U.S people pronounce words are different from d way U.K people pronounce words. So some of d words in think is wrong may be right in d U.K Eng or U.S Eng.But i love d U.K Eng better dan d U.S Eng because it is easier to learn.
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by ElNero(m): 7:38pm On Jan 08, 2018
Very educative, but who English epp
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by Pussyisfood: 7:40pm On Jan 08, 2018
sirBLUNT:
did you attended hillcrest?

Went through preschool to grade 12 at anguldi
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by Pussyisfood: 7:41pm On Jan 08, 2018
uvalued:
Op DAT name na o .. Don't tell us how to pronounce that ur name

Lol.
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by HULSH(m): 7:47pm On Jan 08, 2018
'HURT' Is the most abused word by Nigerians.
' hot'.wrong.
It's actually pronounce 'het'
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by sirBLUNT: 7:47pm On Jan 08, 2018
Pussyisfood:

Went through preschool to grade 12 at anguldi
cool..i miss j town like die..
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by raphaeladeyele: 7:50pm On Jan 08, 2018
Ok
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by Pussyisfood: 7:58pm On Jan 08, 2018
sirBLUNT:
cool..i miss j town like die..

Yeah. J town has a way of capturing the heart. I always come back once in a while to hangout with old acquaintances.
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by khadaffi(m): 7:59pm On Jan 08, 2018
Most words are pronounced wrongly. Even the word "market" is usually pronounced the wrong way, but you know communication is when you speak and the other person understands you. As far as we understand ourselves then there is no problem.
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by sirBLUNT: 8:14pm On Jan 08, 2018
Pussyisfood:

Yeah. J town has a way of capturing the heart. I always come back once in a while to hangout with old acquaintances.
yea thinking of storming j town this year..but your moniker though is it that bad?
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by 12345baba(m): 8:16pm On Jan 08, 2018
Rubbish topic. English na my language? Even the owners no sabi speak am
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by ignis: 8:20pm On Jan 08, 2018
Following...
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by stevups(m): 8:45pm On Jan 08, 2018
Op, you made my day!
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by Pussyisfood: 8:51pm On Jan 08, 2018
sirBLUNT:

yea thinking of storming j town this year..but your moniker though is it that bad?

I was probably high at the time I created it. On a serious note I simply got frustrated after all the usernames I could think of we're already taken
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by AnanseK(m): 8:56pm On Jan 08, 2018
Listen is pronounced “LISSEN” - the T is silent , same as OFTEN.
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by Yyeske(m): 8:56pm On Jan 08, 2018
OP, British English we use in Nigeria doesn't support the use of 'R or r' especially if it's not at the beginning of a word, why the emphasis here?
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by Hazad001: 8:58pm On Jan 08, 2018
Thanks for the good compilation of those words. I really gave my time to pronouncing them
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by Kay25(m): 8:58pm On Jan 08, 2018
Pussyisfood:
Today we shall be learning 35 words that are commonly pronounced incorrectly, and how to correctly pronounce these.

Let's begin

1. Pronunciation
Although we pronounce the word, pronounce as /prə-nouns/, the correct way to pronounce the word pronunciation is /prə-nən-si-'ei-shən/.

2. Says
This word is commonly mispronounced by people learning English as /saiz/, but the correct way to pronounce the word is /sez/.

3. Etcetera (etc)
Although many people pronounce the word as /ek-'se-tra/, the correct pronunciation however is /et-'se-tə-rə/ or /et-'se-trə/ (this pronunciation is less common but it's ok).

4. Often
Now many people pronounce this word with the t. That is not wrong, but a more preferable pronunciation is /ɒ-fən/.

5. Women
Nigerians alike have perfected the art of mispronouncing words. Now although we pronounce woman as /wu-mən/, the correct pronunciation for the word women, is infact /wi-min/.

6. Police
The correct pronunciation is /pə-'lees/. shikenan

7. Vehicle
If you guessed /'vee-ə-kl/ then you are correct.

8. Genre
The correct pronunciation for this word is /'zhɒn-rə/.

9. Video
The important thing to note in this one is that the i and the e are pronounced as short i sounds. So it's /'vi-di-o/. Tan queue, Shola.

10. Comment
Most speakers in Nigeria will pronounce this word as /kə-ment/ or /koment/, but the real pronunciation is /'kɒ-ment/. The secret is in realizing that the stress is in the first syllable. You can simply watch this 9 seconds video for the vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLYU2hfzOyQ

11. Suite
This word is pronounced, /'sweet/ and not /'soot/

12. Restaurant
This word is not pronounced, /'rest-orant/ as many Nigerian speakers will make us believe, as a matter of fact the correct pronunciation for this word is /'res-tə-rɒnt/. You might hear some British speakers pronouncing this word as /res-trɒnt/. This is also correct

13 Sewage
I hear a lot of Nigerians pronounce this word as /'sea-wage/. This is incorrect as the correct way to pronounce the word is /'soo-ij/.

14. Breakfast
/'brek-fəst/

15. Vegetable
The e after the g is silent, and so the pronunciation is /'vej-tə-bl/

16. Cucumber
Ladies and gentlemen, it's not /'koo-koom-ba/. It is /'kyoo-kəm-bər/. Also make sure you pronounce the r

17. Lettuce
This vegetable is called /'letis/

Many word in the English language have silent letters or alphabets we don't pronounce. Take for instance

18. Receipt
Here the p is silent, and so the pronunciation becomes /ri-'seet/.

19. Debt
Here too the b is silent in this word, and so the pronunciation becomes /'det/.

20. Mortgage
This word that means a loan that a bank gives you to buy a house is actually pronounced /'mor-gij/ and you have to pronounce the R too. It's not there for nothing.

21. Subtle
How will you say this word? It is /'sə-tl/ because the b is silent.

22. Singer
In this word, the g is silent and so our end pronunciation is /'siŋ-er/. Other words like younger and finger have the G present but not in singer... no, it's not.

23. Plumber
The mistake that Nigerians make is pronouncing this word with the B in it and so replacing the R with an A. The correct pronunciation for this word is /'pləm-ər/.

In many words when you have the combination letters, m and b, the b is silent. Like comb or climb or even thumb and tomb

24. Bury
Apparently one of the words that Nigerians pronounce correctly is bury. It is pronounced /'beri/ as like berry. Forget those Nollywood actors.

25. Wednesday
This day of the week is pronounced without the first D. The pronunciation is /'wenz-deɪ/.

26. Sword
This word is pronounced /'sord/ with the R inclusive. So don't go pronouncing the word as so:d then that will just be absurd.

27. Arctic
/ark-tik/

28. Mischievous
I hear a lot of people pronounce this word as /'mis-chi-vi-yourz/, and that is wrong. The correct way is /'mis-chi-vəs/.

29. Tuition
The right way to pronounce this word is /tu-'wi-shən/. British call it /tyu-'wi-shən/. Both are correct.

30.Zoology
If you pronounce the word as /zoo-lo-ji/ or /zoo-a-lo-ji/ then you're wrong. The correct pronunciation for this word is /zo-ɒ-lə-ji/.

31. Develop
/di-vel-əp/

32. Photography
/fə-'tɒ-grə-fi/

3. Jewelry
Although it's spelt differently in American and British English, the pronunciation is the same. /'joo-əl-ri/

34. Quote
Often mispronounced the same as coat, the correct pronunciation for this word is /'kwot/.

35. Schedule
American pronunciation is /'ske-jool/ and the British pronunciation is /'shɛ-jool/ or /'shɛd-yool/.

36. Bonus lesson
Am is a state of being verb. I'm is a contraction that means I am. So how we came to a point where people use 'am' in place of 'I'm' is mind boggling.

Happy Sunday peepz.
This is good no doubt but how does dis diction get me a job abii reduce the fuel price or can dis diction help in stopping the fulani crisis ?pls tell me I need answer
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by sirBLUNT: 9:07pm On Jan 08, 2018
Pussyisfood:

I was probably high at the time I created it. On a serious note I simply got frustrated after all the usernames I could think of we're already taken
damn! lol great content bad moniker..what u gonna do u go change am?
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by gregyboy(m): 9:38pm On Jan 08, 2018
Hmm my ancestors are speechless rite now

This very world came to an end “pussy" had mouth and brain to teach us english

Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by highbee02: 9:56pm On Jan 08, 2018
Pussyisfood:
Today we shall be learning 35 words that are commonly pronounced incorrectly, and how to correctly pronounce these.

Let's begin

1. Pronunciation
Although we pronounce the word, pronounce as /prə-nouns/, the correct way to pronounce the word pronunciation is /prə-nən-si-'ei-shən/.

2. Says
This word is commonly mispronounced by people learning English as /saiz/, but the correct way to pronounce the word is /sez/.

3. Etcetera (etc)
Although many people pronounce the word as /ek-'se-tra/, the correct pronunciation however is /et-'se-tə-rə/ or /et-'se-trə/ (this pronunciation is less common but it's ok).

4. Often
Now many people pronounce this word with the t. That is not wrong, but a more preferable pronunciation is /ɒ-fən/.

5. Women
Nigerians alike have perfected the art of mispronouncing words. Now although we pronounce woman as /wu-mən/, the correct pronunciation for the word women, is infact /wi-min/.

6. Police

7. Vehicle

8. Genre

9. Video
The important thing to note in this one is that the i and the e are pronounced as short i sounds. So it's /'vi-di-o/. Tan queue, Shola.

10. Comment
Most speakers in Nigeria will pronounce this word as /kə-ment/ or /koment/, but the real pronunciation is /'kɒ-ment/. The secret is in realizing that the stress is in the first syllable. You can simply watch this 9 seconds video for the vocals.

11. Suite

12. Restaurant
This word is not pronounced, /'rest-orant/ as many Nigerian speakers will make us believe, as a matter of fact the correct pronunciation for this word is /'res-tə-rɒnt/. You might hear some British speakers pronouncing this word as /res-trɒnt/. This is also correct

13 Sewage
I hear a lot of Nigerians pronounce this word as /'sea-wage/. This is incorrect as the correct way to pronounce the word is /'soo-ij/.

14. Breakfast
/'brek-fəst/

15. Vegetable

16. Cucumber
Ladies and gentlemen, it's not /'koo-koom-ba/. It is /'kyoo-kəm-bər/. Also make sure you pronounce the r

17. Lettuce

Many word in the English language have silent letters or alphabets we don't pronounce. Take for instance

18. Receipt

19. Debt

20. Mortgage
This word that means a loan that a bank gives you to buy a house is actually pronounced /'mor-gij/ and you have to pronounce the R too. It's not there for nothing.

21. Subtle

22. Singer
In this word, the g is silent and so our end pronunciation is /'siŋ-er/. Other words like younger and finger have the G present but not in singer... no, it's not.

23. Plumber
The mistake that Nigerians make is pronouncing this word with the B in it and so replacing the R with an A. The correct pronunciation for this word is /'pləm-ər/.

In many words when you have the combination letters, m and b, the b is silent. Like comb or climb or even thumb and tomb

24. Bury
Apparently one of the words that Nigerians pronounce correctly is bury. It is pronounced /'beri/ as like berry. Forget those Nollywood actors.

25. Wednesday
This day of the week is pronounced without the first D. The pronunciation is /'wenz-deɪ/.

26. Sword
This word is pronounced /'sord/ with the R inclusive. So don't go pronouncing the word as so:d then that will just be absurd.

27. Arctic
/ark-tik/

28. Mischievous
I hear a lot of people pronounce this word as /'mis-chi-vi-yourz/, and that is wrong. The correct way is /'mis-chi-vəs/.

29. Tuition
The right way to pronounce this word is /tu-'wi-shən/. British call it /tyu-'wi-shən/. Both are correct.

30.Zoology
If you pronounce the word as /zoo-lo-ji/ or /zoo-a-lo-ji/ then you're wrong. The correct pronunciation for this word is /zo-ɒ-lə-ji/.

31. Develop
/di-vel-əp/

32. Photography
/fə-'tɒ-grə-fi/

3. Jewelry
Although it's spelt differently in American and British English, the pronunciation is the same. /'joo-əl-ri/

34. Quote
Often mispronounced the same as coat, the correct pronunciation for this word is /'kwot/.

35. Schedule
American pronunciation is /'ske-jool/ and the British pronunciation is /'shɛ-jool/ or /'shɛd-yool/.

36. Bonus lesson
Am is a state of being verb. I'm is a contraction that means I am. So how we came to a point where people use 'am' in place of 'I'm' is mind boggling.

Happy Sunday peepz.
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by samwobi(m): 11:05pm On Jan 08, 2018
You see why i prefered maths lessons back then?
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by frostmate: 12:07am On Jan 09, 2018
Pussyisfood:

Let's begin

1. Pronunciation

2. Says

3. Etcetera (etc)

4. Often

5. Women

6. Police

7. Vehicle

8. Genre

9. Video

10. Comment

11. Suite

12. Restaurant

13 Sewage

14. Breakfast
/'brek-fəst/

15. Vegetable

16. Cucumber

17. Lettuce

18. Receipt

19. Debt

20. Mortgage

21. Subtle

22. Singer

23. Plumber

24. Bury

25. Wednesday

26. Sword

27. Arctic
/ark-tik/

28. Mischievous

29. Tuition

30.Zoology

31. Develop
/di-vel-əp/

32. Photography
/fə-'tɒ-grə-fi/

3. Jewelry

34. Quote

35. Schedule

36. Bonus lesson

Happy Sunday peepz.

Thanks! Very informative.

1 Like

Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by Pussyisfood: 3:06am On Jan 09, 2018
frostmate:

Thanks! Very informative.

You're Welcome
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by nex(m): 4:04am On Jan 09, 2018
Pussyisfood:

12. Restaurant
This word is not pronounced, /'rest-orant/ as many Nigerian speakers will make us believe, as a matter of fact the correct pronunciation for this word is /'res-tə-rɒnt/. You might hear some British speakers pronouncing this word as [b]/res-trɒnt/. This is also correct[/b]

Because they are Oyibo abi?! Abeg, I will pronounce it anyhow I like!
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by g0tze: 6:38am On Jan 09, 2018
Interesting
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by BALLOSKI: 6:54am On Jan 09, 2018
suregalluv:
Wow! Very educative especially sewage, says, restaurant, and lettuce
lettuce is called "letis" in Hausa . So I don't have problem with that and many other words here.
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by Kaybaba5(m): 8:00am On Jan 09, 2018
Pussyisfood:

Let's begin

1. Pronunciation

2. Says

3. Etcetera (etc)

4. Often

5. Women

6. Police

7. Vehicle

8. Genre

9. Video

10. Comment

11. Suite

12. Restaurant

13 Sewage

14. Breakfast
/'brek-fəst/

15. Vegetable

16. Cucumber

17. Lettuce

18. Receipt

19. Debt

20. Mortgage

21. Subtle

22. Singer

23. Plumber

24. Bury

25. Wednesday

26. Sword

27. Arctic
/ark-tik/

28. Mischievous

29. Tuition

30.Zoology

31. Develop
/di-vel-əp/

32. Photography
/fə-'tɒ-grə-fi/

3. Jewelry

34. Quote

35. Schedule

36. Bonus lesson

Happy Sunday peepz.

Who English epp
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by snowblaq(f): 8:31am On Jan 09, 2018
mu2sa2:
Blame non-teaching of oral English in primary and secondary school for this.

Depends on which schools you attended..... In mine... Oral English was compulsory
Re: 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 09, 2018
Impressive

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students / Girl With Nine A1s In WASSCE: She Is So Brilliant Her Teachers Feared Her Result / Check Out The Longest Equation Known To Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.