Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,603 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:52 AM

The Philosophy Of Apprentice Among Igbos - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Philosophy Of Apprentice Among Igbos (438 Views)

Advise Me: What Is The Best Course A Female Philosophy Graduate Do At Masters? / Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? / Why Nigerian Youths Need To Make The Transition From Graduate To Apprentice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Philosophy Of Apprentice Among Igbos by Kenmatt(m): 6:33am On Jan 09, 2018
Greetings to you all.

I just want to scrutinise the outlook of apprentice among Igbo business people.

It is a general norm among Igbos that a young boy will be sent to learn a trade under the tutelage of a man that becomes his master after he finishes school, be that primary, junior secondary or senior secondary.

This happens most especially when the young man's family are financially constraint in pursuit of further education for their son. Others happen when the boy is poor academically or wishes to go and learn the trade to become a business man.

It is expected that after he must have finished not just this apprentice but a slave-like service under his master, whithin a stipulated time, ranging from five to six years, his master settles him by setting up a similar business for him through which he becomes master and gets another boy and the circle curves.

On this process, many things are bound which I might not want to write it all because most of you are lazy to read when it becomes lengthy. Please, I am sorry, if this offends you. But many of these boys see hell on earth during this time-out.

There are two phrases that go with this phenomenon. Thus; either it "makes you" or it "mares you".

This can "make you" when you are fortunate to have a good master who would always stick to his pledge after you must have suffered for him in growth and development of his business, he settles you accordingly and spur you up to become a success.

Their are notable Igbo business billionaire whom Ibeto is one among them who passed through this process and this is where they are today.

It can also "mare you" when you enter into the hand of "shylock" type who would use you and dump you. Some might level one allegation or the other when the time for your settlement draws nearer. Giving a dog a bad name just to hang the dog.

The most painful part of the B part is, when after a young man must have spent such number of years, which might even exceed the five or six years agreed in learning and serving his master, if any thing happens and his master do not settle him or settle him very well, if not for an intervention of God, that young man will become less use in the society because he has spent a lengthy period of time doing this and after which his age has come up, some might find it difficult to go and "bend" again to learn something else and resorts in becoming nuisance in the society or tout. Most of the young and old men you see in menial jobs are product of this.

There are some bad eggs among the "boys" too. Whose missions are to steal, save and splash their masters' cash. While others syphon and transfer their masters' money, hoping to bounce back on it when they become free. Others loot their masters' treasure and varnish to the thin air.

I would advise, if you want to do this, don't do it with one who does not relate to you in any way. Except in rare occasions, it works out. But with God, everything is possible.
Re: The Philosophy Of Apprentice Among Igbos by Kenmatt(m): 6:52am On Jan 09, 2018
I do not need to beg any moderator to push a post to the front page. If a post is front page worthy or generates much comments, it'll see itself at the front page.
Re: The Philosophy Of Apprentice Among Igbos by Nutase: 7:31am On Jan 09, 2018
shocked
Re: The Philosophy Of Apprentice Among Igbos by Kenzico(m): 7:45am On Jan 09, 2018
undecided
Re: The Philosophy Of Apprentice Among Igbos by samtinx(m): 7:45am On Jan 09, 2018
Those boys see hell,these system of trade have,rendered many useless and rendered many wealthy,truth of it all is that most wealthy one's later become occultic members,to acquire more wealth or remain wealthy.

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy! Vacancy!! Vacancy!!! / Suggest On Masters Programme For A Chemistry Graduate / Why It’s Very Hard To Be An Entrepreneur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.