Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,824 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft (1946 Views)

Nigerian Jailed 20 Years, 10 Strokes Of Whipping For Possession Of Drugs / Nigerian Jailed 330 Years In The US For Raping Daughter / Masquerades Nabbed For Theft, Torture Of Victims (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Kennyblues(m): 5:33pm On Apr 09, 2010
A 23-year-old Nigerian has been sentenced to five years imprisonment by a Kumasi Circuit Court for stealing two cell phones and other valuables. Elliot Okorodudu denied the offence.

Police Chief Inspector Comfort Baffour-Kyei told the Court presided over by Mr. Justice Emmanuel Amoh-Yartey that the complainants in the case are a student and a banker.

On March 19, Okorodudu, an interior decorator and resident of Ashanti-Town in Kumasi, went to the Adum branch of the Ecobank and attempted to withdraw an amount of GH¢10.00 from an account belonging to Marvin Adu-Boahen, a student of the Cape Coast University.

The teller detected that the convict was not the holder of the account and caused his arrest.

She said at the police station, two cell phones, a voter identification card, Barclays and Ecobank Visa ATM cards, Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB) E-zwich and the student’s ID card were found on him.

Added to these were MTN, Tigo and Vodafone chips.

The prosecution said those items were stolen from Adu-Boahen and other students of the University.

Okorodudu blamed the devil, as he told the court: “I do not know what came over me.”
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by bkbabe97: 5:34pm On Apr 09, 2010
hahahahah IBO MAN AT IT AGAIN!!! DAMN!!!
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by sulad82i(m): 5:46pm On Apr 09, 2010
The Devil will surely be with him thru his 5 years jail time. Stup!d boy.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Fhemmmy: 5:48pm On Apr 09, 2010
Nigerians everywhere and doing their bad stuff . . . should be deported to Nija to face jail with hard labor
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by yemmight(m): 6:05pm On Apr 09, 2010
Five years for 2 phones. Thats cruel. The guy stil use the Nigerian slogan of "Its the Devil" Unfortunately that dont work in Ghana.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Fhemmmy: 6:07pm On Apr 09, 2010
yemmight:

Five years for 2 phones. Thats cruel. The guy stil use the Nigerian slogan of "Its the Devil" Unfortunately that dont work in Ghana.

He deserves more.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by mamagee3(f): 6:40pm On Apr 09, 2010
Ghana of all places, most Nigerians never cease to embarass themselves. sad
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by MeAboki(m): 7:04pm On Apr 09, 2010
bk/babe97:

Dont sound like an ibo name to me. Besides, whether ibo or not ibo the Ghanains wont give a damn but the country he came from; in this case its the name and image of Nigeria that he also has clearly further helped to dent.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by slap1(m): 10:04pm On Apr 09, 2010
The ironies of life! Bode George gets 2 years for stealing billions, this dude gets FIVE YEARS for two phones. This judgement is harsh.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Ikengawo: 10:21pm On Apr 09, 2010
this 'dents' nigeria's image cause a guy stole a cellphone?
you're mothers have stolen far worst and far more and nobody complained
i REALLY don't know why this made the news. are ppl implying its disgraceful to get arrested in Ghana if you're a nigerian and makes nigeria 'look bad'.

idk if anyone notice but in a country of 150 million ppl, a person stealing 2 cell phones is not news.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by EzeUche(m): 10:27pm On Apr 09, 2010
bk/babe97:

WRONG!!!! It is a Yoruba man foolish boy!

Okorodudu is a Yoruba name. Can't you tell your own kind?  undecided

YORUBA man at it again! For a phone for goodness sake. grin
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by AloyEmeka5: 10:27pm On Apr 09, 2010
Me_Aboki:

Dont sound like an ibo name to me. Besides, whether ibo or not ibo the Ghanains wont give a damn but the country he came from; in this case its the name and image of Nigeria that he also has clearly further helped to dent. 

That idiot doesn't know that Ojo sounds more Yoruba than igbo but it could be either. I will advise you to completely ignore him because he was born with Down syndrome.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by mekuszyx: 11:50pm On Apr 09, 2010
Okorodudu is either Delta state (70 % probability) or Edo state (30 % probability)
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Ruq: 12:40am On Apr 10, 2010
@Aloy+Emeka
where on earth have heard a Yoruba man named "OKORO" I DON'T KARE WHERE HE GOT HIS "DUDU" FROM BUT I KNOW HE IS NOT YORUBA EXCEPT HE HI MIXED now i wonder who has the DOWN SYNDROME

YORUBA,IBO,HAUSA,FULANI,TIV,IJAW OR WHATEVER THE MAIN PART IZ THAT HIS NATIONALITY STILL SAYS NIGERIAN

WHY DIDN'T THEY SAY AN HAUSA MAN TRIED TO DETONATE A BOMB ON A PLANE THEY SEE US AS ONE BUT EVEN IF WE ARE NOT!!

SO NO MATTER THE TRIBE HE REPRESENTS NIGERIA!

AS TO THIEF KUDOS!!!!!! SHOW THEM GANAZ THEY AIN'T GAT BRAIN! BUT 5YRS IS KINDA ROUGH! WELL G-LUCK
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by bkbabe97: 12:47am On Apr 10, 2010
Mekuyyzzx, when u wanted the oil of the Niger-Delta u claimed they was Ibo, nOW a phone thief has been caught u trying to deny that he Ibo. That just smirks of the ibo way of thinking :its good its ours , its bad its urs> Negro, dude is as Ibo as they come
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Ikengawo: 1:34am On Apr 10, 2010
OK lets say the guy was igbo at night and yoruba by day, [size=20pt]HE STOLE A CELLPHONE[/size] who gives a rats nut?

i'm yet to read a newspaper here in america about a guy stealing 2 cell phones
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Ruq: 1:47am On Apr 10, 2010
we don't even kare what tribe he his from as far as he stole the PHONE!
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Sagamite(m): 2:30am On Apr 10, 2010
Ikengawo:

this 'dents' nigeria's image cause a guy stole a cellphone?
you're mothers have stolen far worst and far more and nobody complained
i REALLY don't know why this made the news. are ppl implying its disgraceful to get arrested in Ghana if you're a nigerian and makes nigeria 'look bad'.

idk if anyone notice but in a country of 150 million ppl, a person stealing 2 cell phones is not news.

Thank you.

NL is full of the all singing, all dancing 'Nigeria is a failed state' bandwagon of fools choir. Every thing is a disgrace to Nigeria as a whole to them.

5 years in jail for stealing mobile phones is a bang out of order sentence.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Ruq: 2:43am On Apr 10, 2010
hey Sagamite who the hell are you?
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Sagamite(m): 2:46am On Apr 10, 2010
Ruq:

hey Sagamite who the hell are you?

You never heard of me? shocked
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Ruq: 2:56am On Apr 10, 2010
Are you that important?
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Sagamite(m): 3:38am On Apr 10, 2010
Ruq:

Are you that important?

Chineke! See question o! shocked
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Ruq: 3:48am On Apr 10, 2010
all rite now i see u re!
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by igboboy1(m): 10:03am On Apr 10, 2010
bk/babe97:

Mekuyyzzx, when u wanted the oil of the Niger-Delta u claimed they was Ibo, nOW a phone thief has been caught u trying to deny that he Ibo. That just smirks of the ibo way of thinking :its good its ours , its bad its urs> Negro, dude is as Ibo as they come

grow up

EzeUche:

WRONG!!!! It is a Yoruba man foolish boy!

Okorodudu is a Yoruba name. Can't you tell your own kind? undecided

YORUBA man at it again! For a phone for goodness sake. grin

u get time dey argue with confirm daft slowpoke
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by igboboy1(m): 10:07am On Apr 10, 2010
bk/babe97:

even though I know it is not an igbo name but infact na confirm waffi name, but i no go into what ethnic group the perpertrator is from cos it is irrelevant, at the end of the day na Niaja dem stamp for im passport and no be igbo

Daft human being
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 11, 2010
yemmight:

he did the crime, then i am sure he will be fit to do the time!
let "whatever devil" help him through the 5yrs inside.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Sagamite(m): 11:17am On Apr 11, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

he did the crime, then i am sure he will be fit to do the time!
let "whatever devil" help him through the 5yrs inside.

The sentence is bang out of order.

So what sentence would they give a person that fought and smash his opponents jaw? 40 years?

What sentence would they give a burglar or car thief? 150 years?
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Ruq: 8:54pm On Apr 11, 2010
i wonder ohh! @Sagamite
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Nobody: 9:30pm On Apr 11, 2010
Sagamite:

The sentence is bang out of order.
So what sentence would they give a person that fought and smash his opponents jaw? 40 years?
What sentence would they give a burglar or car thief? 150 years?
Ruq:

i wonder ohh! @Sagamite

you guys are looking at it the wrong way!!!!
he robbed a few people of their cellphones AND ALSO their bank cards before he tried to empty their bank accounts.
so there is ROBBERY, FRAUD and possibly AGGRAVATED ASSAULT depending on how he robbed them all.

also lets not forget that if ANYONE doesnt like the harsh laws of any land THEN they should probably stay on the right side of the law or go back to their country where laws for criminals are more lenient. . . . . et voila!
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Sagamite(m): 10:23pm On Apr 11, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

you guys are looking at it the wrong way!!!!
he robbed a few people of their cellphones AND ALSO their bank cards before he tried to empty their bank accounts.
so there is ROBBERY, FRAUD and possibly AGGRAVATED ASSAULT depending on how he robbed them all.

also lets not forget that if ANYONE doesnt like the harsh laws of any land THEN they should probably stay on the right side of the law or go back to their country where laws for criminals are more lenient. . . . . et voila!

I don't think it is evident it was a violent robbery, otherwise the report would have highlighted he was jailed for armed robbery/battery etc.

I do agree that if you do not like the harsh laws of any land then do not commit the crime or stay out of there.

That said, I think some country laws have enough grounds to be condemned.

E.g. if a country sentences a woman to death by stoning for writing a love letter to a lover she is not married to or kissing him, I think the irrationality and the inclement of such a sentence should be soundly condemned. Even though she might be labelled a criminal as one who has broken a state law, the sentence does not match the crime in a sane person's view.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Nobody: 10:49pm On Apr 11, 2010
^^^^^^^^hey you are right about some laws being strange but i dont write the laws, i just follow them.

look at the couple who kissed in public in the middle east and was sentenced to 1month in jail. yes, i believe that its wrong to jail people for kissing BUT thats the laws of the land and therefore i will abide by them whenever i find myself there. the locals voted for these laws and thats what matters. do you expect people to have YOUR laws in THEIR countries just to satisfy your needs when you come on vacation?!

why do you want to condemn their laws?! these laws are part of their constitution and if their citizens are ok with them, then why should WE question them? its their country and can do what they please.

there are strange laws all over the world: lashes for spitting in public TO cutting a hand for thievery OR beating you wife being legal AND lashes for women wearing trousers.
to each their own!
Re: Nigerian Jailed In Ghana For Theft by Sagamite(m): 11:18pm On Apr 11, 2010
^^^^^^^^
Actually even though I find the law in Dubai unfamiliar, I did not see much to condemn in it (I would not use "strange" as I feel that is a dysphemism on my part on their culture that is more conservative than the alien culture we have adopted  grin).

Why?

Because the punishment dished-out for breaking the unfamiliar law was not excessive at all.

I will never condemn an unfamiliar/strange law of any country or people. What I condemn is when an excessive punishment, which is clearly irrational, is adminstered as punishment for those laws.

One month in jail for kissing in public in an Islamic Republic is not a big issue to me. A death sentence by decapitation for the same offence would get me screaming my head off in condemnation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fake Certificates. / My Experience With A Big Time Scammer / What Is The Craziest Fact About Pablo Escobar?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.