Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,943 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? (9106 Views)

Remembering The Subsidy Protest / NNPC And The Subsidy Claims / Fuel Crisis: Current Petrol Subsidy Regime Illegal - Senate Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by grandstar(m): 8:30pm On Jan 09, 2018
yaki84:
still remember i made a post here when they made that bogus lies about removing subsidy back then. Told them what they did wass't subsidy removal but devaluation of naira that led to our currency having weak purchasing power against d dollar.

I also said those praying for increase in crudeoil price should also consider paying more for fuel.
Wished i studied economics, peeps like bismark riwane for dey consult me.
Thee only soln to this fuel crisis which will be temporary for now is to consider what ibe kachikwu professed, which is sell forex to importers of fuel at 204naira per dollar.
Though its still form of subsidy.......... But will atleast erase any form of roundtripping if the normal subsidy is to be considered.

Why cant Nigerians pay the market price for petrol like other countries in West Africa? Are Nigerians going to die.

Countries far poorer than Nigeria are paying the market price.

Subsidies like this damage the sector and discourage investments. I am very sure Dangote is slowing down construction until a government ready to deregulate the price of petrol like they did diesel comes on board.

Look at Singapore and Malaysia.

Singapore is the most densely populated country in the world. It is a city state, that means a city makes the country. It has about 5million people and has virtualy no natural resource apart from 20,000 per day oil production.

Malaysia from which it broke out from has about 20m people, vast amounts of land and natural resources and oil

Singapore has no subsidies whatsoever. Yet from 1964, it has moved from being has poor as Nigeria but now has a higher per capita income than Britain. It's per capita was $52600.60

Malaysia has lots of subsidies even on petrol. It also some foodstuffs.

Today, however, despite it's natural advantage over Singapore, it per capita income per person is only $11028.20

This is about a fifth of Singapore.

Most subsidies are wasteful and not even necessary in the first place. Once established, this subsidies are considered a birthright not withstanding the massive holes creates in the budget. The present subsidy will cost 700billion in a years times. This is a government that is already borrowing heavily.

Energy subsidies cost some Arab countries as much as 5% of GDP.

2 Likes

Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by aolawale025: 8:44pm On Jan 09, 2018
Looking back, the fuel subsidy protest of 2012 was a big scam. the APC pulled a scam on the people. There are some people feeding fat from the pricing system presently. They make money from subsidy and bridging fees. And that's why FG doesn't have the liver to deregulate totally. That's what the eole must demand.
Secondly when fuel prices were much lower. Where is the surplus funds NNPC made?
Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by brookz: 9:08pm On Jan 09, 2018
My Neighbor sometimes in Dec last year!

Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by ivandragon: 9:25pm On Jan 09, 2018
Ugosample:

When the govt tried implementing same in 2012, why was there noise and outcry from the same IDIOTS that now want to take it out?

The problem with the country is hypocrisy undecided

& that's the bottom line!!!

rather than admit they took Nigeria back 5 years ( & counting), they are acting as if they did nothing wrong.

one clown some chats below yours was just ranting about how another person was wasting his/her time discussing the issue of subsidy removal, yet the clown made no points or sense to back up why the same people who vehemently opposed subsidy removal & claimed it never existed in 2012 & are now advocates for subsidy removal or its continuation depending on what pmb & his fellow clowns in power feed them...
Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by verydark: 9:32pm On Jan 09, 2018
i think its a bad idea.

the problem is the greedy marketers.if we return back we will be at the mercy of marketers again.

dont forget jonathan goverment owned marketers billions of nairas and they started playing with us anyhow back then.
Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by verydark: 9:34pm On Jan 09, 2018
dont return back.nigerians cant be trusted when it comes to money.many of us are very heartless concerning money.
Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jan 09, 2018
Sunnyja:
You see sense after joining them to demonstrate in LAGOS. NAIJA.

1. What I meant was that thanks to the explanations given back in 2012, I backed subsidy removal back then.

2. I never protested against it.

3. It makes good sense to deregulate now. And we should have done it since 1992 when the argument was first made
Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by enny09: 12:03am On Jan 10, 2018
I want subsidy back 100% because I didn't stole Nigeria that should have been used to build refineries hence why should I be suffering from a sin I didn't commit by paying more for fuel.
Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by stagger: 12:31am On Jan 10, 2018
grandstar:

Why cant Nigerians pay the market price for petrol like other countries in West Africa? Are Nigerians going to die.

Countries far poorer than Nigeria are paying the market price.

Subsidies like this damage the sector and discourage investments. I am very sure Dangote is slowing down construction until a government ready to deregulate the price of petrol like they did diesel comes on board.

Look at Singapore and Malaysia.

Singapore is the most densely populated country in the world. It is a city state, that means a city makes the country. It has about 5million people and has virtualy no natural resource apart from 20,000 per day oil production.

Malaysia from which it broke out from has about 20m people, vast amounts of land and natural resources and oil

Singapore has no subsidies whatsoever. Yet from 1964, it has moved from being has poor as Nigeria but now has a higher per capita income than Britain. It's per capita was $52600.60

Malaysia has lots of subsidies even on petrol. It also some foodstuffs.

Today, however, despite it's natural advantage over Singapore, it per capita income per person is only $11028.20

This is about a fifth of Singapore.

Most subsidies are wasteful and not even necessary in the first place. Once established, this subsidies are considered a birthright not withstanding the massive holes creates in the budget. The present subsidy will cost 700billion in a years times. This is a government that is already borrowing heavily.

Energy subsidies cost some Arab countries as much as 5% of GDP.

Flawed argument!

What is the minimum wage in all the countries mentioned, compared to a measly $50 a month in Nigeria? in Ghana they pay the equivalent of N360 per litre on PMS and diesel, but ask average Ghanaians when last they ever started a generator to provide power to their houses. Their fuel is for their cars and cars only! So what they pay as cost per litre, they save in consumption.

Here in Nigeria, we pay for fuel for cars and generators (house and office/shop). All on a minimum wage of $50! Fifty dratted bucks that cannot even pay for hotel per night in Abuja!

3 Likes

Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by prettymuch360: 1:58am On Jan 10, 2018
stagger:

Flawed argument!

What is the minimum wage in all the countries mentioned, compared to a measly $50 a month in Nigeria? in Ghana they pay the equivalent of N360 per litre on PMS and diesel, but ask average Ghanaians when last they ever started a generator to provide power to their houses. Their fuel is for their cars and cars only! So what they pay as cost per litre, they save in consumption.

Here in Nigeria, we pay for fuel for cars and generators (house and office/shop). All on a minimum wage of $50! Fifty dratted bucks that cannot even pay for hotel per night in Abuja!
maka chi you're so right!!!
Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by FRANKOSKI(m): 7:40am On Jan 10, 2018
DEREGULATION HAS BEEN MOANING FOR A WHILE NOW.
Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by Koolking(m): 8:02am On Jan 10, 2018
Ugosample:

When the govt tried implementing same in 2012, why was there noise and outcry from the same IDIOTS that now want to take it out?

The problem with the country is hypocrisy undecided

The govt then was not sincere. It was not brave. Irrespective of the opposition noise, the right thing should have been done.
Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by TheAlchemist: 9:02am On Jan 10, 2018
subsidy is corruption, corruption is subsidy, enough said!
Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by Ugosample(m): 6:59pm On Jan 10, 2018
Koolking:

The govt then was not sincere. It was not brave. Irrespective of the opposition noise, the right thing should have been done.

Oh, so this useless government is a sincere government right undecided

Rubbish
Re: Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? by Themandator: 9:10am On Jan 13, 2018
DRJECKYLL:
They will issue subsidy temporarily for the upcoming election. After Buhari is sworn in again, motorists will once more cry blood

That is if they can't sustain it until after the election ... the weight of that thing called subsidy is real and very burdensome.

I doubt if Pms is coming back to 145 ex retail price or 133.28 ex depot price

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ondo INEC Fire: 5,000 Smart Card Readers Destroyed / PDP Initiates Reconciliatory Steps To Reclaim South-East / Buhari's Ban On AIT: Nigerians Are Not Fools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.