Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,907 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. (2485 Views)

Obasanjo, Adenuga, Okoya Welcome Buhari To Ogun State (Photos) / Six PDP And Two APC Senators Lose Their Seats In The Senate / Bukola Saraki Is The Senate President Of The 8th NASS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 3:32pm On Mar 01, 2007
Senate Clears Otunba Mike Adenuga

I've been instructed by Big B1 to drop this piece. He will be back shortly.
Have a great day.

Lankan C.

THE Senate’s committee on the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) which submitted its report on Tuesday cleared Otunba Mike Adenuga and Globacom due to the transparency of operations of his many businesses, the Nigerian Tribune has reliably gathered.

Nigerian Tribune gathered from the committee members and the full Senate that the business activities of Adenuga were so well known to them that they possessed detailed information of how the business mogul laboured to build his thriving empire.

It was learnt that at the committee’s closed door meetings, members agreed on only the innocence of Adenuga in the scandal while bickering on the level of involvement of others. Most senators who are not members of the committee are reported to have also revealed that both Globacom and the business mogul are product of clean business transactions.

The release by a bank in Paris, France, giving details of how it helped Globacom to secure its operating licence contrary to the allegations of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) was reported to be the last evidence needed to clear Adenuga.

Aside considering Adenuga’s antecedents, the report also showed that most members of the upper chamber disapproved of any action capable of disrupting the operations of Globacom. The telecoms giant is seen as the pride of the nation, employing thousands of Nigerians and providing first class telecoms services.

The clearance of Adenuga is reported to be enjoying overwhelming support of the senators with reports indicating that when eventually the report is put to vote, many will endorse the clearance of the Globacom boss.

In its report submitted to the Senate yesterday, the Senate committee had cleared Adenuga and Globacom, stating that after five months of investigations, it could neither establish any connection between Adenuga and PTDF nor between the Fund and Globacom.

The development has proved false claims by the EFCC that Adenuga and his company were involved in the mismanagement of PTDF money. With the verdict, both Adenuga and Globacom have been absolved of any wrongdoing in the alleged mismanagement of PTDF fund. The report has also debunked the stand of the EFCC that part of PTDF money was used to pay the licence fee of Globacom.

The committee submitted that though PTDF placed funds with Equitorial Trust Bank (ETB) in which Adenuga has interest, contrary to EFCC report that PTDF funds were used to pay for Globacom’s GSM licence, “there was no evidence of any lending relationship between ETB and Globacom.”

The committee also established that Dr. Adenuga is only a shareholder of ETB and that it could not “establish any link between PTDF and himself.”

Although both Globacom and Adenuga had consistently maintained their innocence of accusations by the EFCC of involvement in the mismanagement of the PTDF funds, the commission had continued to harass and vilify the business mogul even when there was no evidence to suggest any wrongdoing on his part or that of the companies in which he has interest including ETB and Globacom.

The Senate report also lends credence to public belief that the linking of Dr. Adenuga and his companies with the PTDF scandal was a witch-hunt because of his friendship with Vice President Atiku Abubakar and former president, Ibrahim Babangida.

Adenuga has always maintained that as a Nigerian, he was at liberty to associate with fellow Nigerians, including the two, as enunciated in the constitution of the Federal Republic and that he has friends scattered all over the country.

It will be recalled that the EFCC on a number of occasions broke into the home of Dr. Adenuga and his companies all in an effort to establish a case against him.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 8:22pm On Mar 03, 2007
I'm Back:

It is amazing to me that all the dead heads that embraced the smudging of this man's image have totally disappeared. They have absolutely nothing to say to this new development; I guess it's true that people in general do no like good news.

Well, I'm very happy for this man and I'm glad that the truth finally arrived.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 3:28am On Mar 04, 2007
@Iyke-D:

Did he pay the senate too?
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 6:20pm On Mar 04, 2007
PTDF report

A preliminary perusal of the Senate Report on the PTDF excites both commendation and questions. There are grey areas which the full Senate has to delve into. A parliamentary committee report, when laid before the chamber, still has no life. The circulation and debate of the report is the next stage. The report can either be killed or confirmed by the Senate in full session. There could be amendments here and there and much more importantly, lobbying and counter-lobbying will determine what will eventually happen to the report.

A very commendable aspect of the report is the deserved clearance given to Otunba Mike Adenuga, the Bill Gates of our time. The report exonerated Globacom, the leader in Africa’s telecommunications industry. This is clearly justice delivered without fear or favour and with an eye on the need to build Nigeria as the leading nation, not only in black Africa, but across the entire continent.

Before going into the facts and figures, Senator Ndoma Egba (SAN) and his men acted courageously. The assignment is the most sensitive in recent legislative history. That such report emanated from a committee largely peopled by pro-presidency senators is a measure of the leadership sagacity of Senator Egba. The very delicate nature of the task, however, prevented the committee from being more forthcoming on its findings. While it takes courage to indict both the president and the vice president, it is also unsatisfactory that the committee dodged delving into some areas which could have further sanitised the polity.

The summary of the recommendations revealed that PTDF was badly managed both by the president and his deputy. This was partly due to agency’s enabling Act which removes its financial operations from the oversight and supervisory responsibilities of the National Assembly. This was addressed by the committee. Now the unanswered questions. The committee probed the MOFAS Account and indicted Otunba Johnson Fasawe on it. Curiously it refused to look into the Marine Float Account, claiming that it falls outside its jurisdiction.

“That the Marine Float Account should be independently investigated by the relevant organs of government especially the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) since the initial investigation by the EFCC has generated controversy,” the report noted. The above two conclusions could have been satisfactory, but for the very clear admission by the committee in one of the clauses: “No PTDF funds were traced directly to the said account. It was at best a second line beneficiary of the PTDF funds.”

Many will ask why the committee is interested only in the primary and not the secondary beneficiaries. Passing the buck to other agencies is unnecessary especially as the committee has displayed courage in probing one out of the two controversial accounts. There may be accusations of partisanship on this account. The second question is what has happened to Umar Pariya, the Vice-President’s personal assistant. He is left off the hook. But mischievous observers may read in between the lines by concluding that Pariya was not included so that the personal assistant to Mr. President could also be excluded.

The crux of the matter has to do with lodgements in two banks allegedly owned by friends of the vice-president’s friend. Based on the report, the said banks gave out loans to individuals and companies known to be friends of both the Vice-President and the President. The beneficiaries defaulted, but the loans are now restructured. “Though the loans have since been restructured with the acquisition of Trans International Bank (TIB) by Spring Bank, the loans cannot, however, be recovered outside the restructured framework without endangering the financial health of the bank“, the report read.

Many questions will trail the above deductions. Who approves the loans given out by the banks? What is the gap in date between the lodgement of the PTDF money and the time the bank gave out the loans? Was any of the said money lodged in Abubakar’s account? The Senate in session will probe all these. The other issue has to do with the areas affecting Mr. President. If PTDF funds were spent on projects the agency was not set up to fund, that qualifies also for abuse of office.

The committee also failed to probe those projects to see whether corruption manifests for which the approving authority should be held liable. The committee’s very mild wording of its recommendation on the President is a measure of its respect for the office of the President. May be that should have been extended to the entire presidency.

More questions are likely to be raised during the Senate deliberations on the report. The debate is likely to be very partisan and confrontational. When the question is put by Senate President Ken Nnamani, many hope it will not be like the handling of the last constitutional amendment report.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by enigmatic: 4:27am On Mar 06, 2007
but, he hould not have smuggled out at the first instance. he must have skeleton in his cupboard, and besides i do not trust our senates
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 3:38pm On Mar 06, 2007
@enigmatic:

Could you please provide us with an evidence that "he smuggled out", as you've stated?

Thanks.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by Afam(m): 4:09pm On Mar 06, 2007
Big B1:

I'm Back:

It is amazing to me that all the dead heads that embraced the smudging of this man's image have totally disappeared. They have absolutely nothing to say to this new development; I guess it's true that people in general do no like good news.

Well, I'm very happy for this man and I'm glad that the truth finally arrived.

The problem you have is that you are ready to support anything that favours you regardless of how wrong that thing is.

The same senate would have been dismissed as carrying out the instructions of OBJ if they had decided otherwise just as you believe EFCC is simplying following orders from OBJ.

When you lack objectivity it makes it difficult for your positions to be taken seriously.

For you to canvass for IBB to rule Nigeria again goes to show how well you love Nigeria.

So people that are now asking for the source of wealth of Adenuga that many believe is simply a front for IBB are dead heads? Wonderful.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 4:26pm On Mar 06, 2007
You totally got it wrong, my man.

I refuse to be brainwashed.
I have my mind, my belief and I can see clearly; I do not need any organization, administration or anybody to teach me how to comprehend.

Believe me, I'm a fair man who wants nothing but the best for my country, Nigeria.

In regards to my support for IBB, AFAM, do we need to go there again?
I mean, we've gone through this same issue over and over; please, let it go.

Trust me, you totally got it wrong this time, but you're a good man.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 4:29pm On Mar 06, 2007
And believe me, Mr AFAM, I've got nothing to gain from supporting IBB or being happy for Adenuga.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 4:30pm On Mar 06, 2007
And it is not fair and totally uncivilized to judge a man you do not know.

I'm disappointed.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by vikiviko(m): 4:37pm On Mar 06, 2007
Thank God Adenuga has been cleared.
It only shows that if you are innocent sooner than later you will cleared and acquited like Adenuga.
His travails at the hand of  EFCC still wonders me.
Ribadu brandished Adenuga a criminal and today the Senate declares him free.
I shall contact Ribadu to know if Adenuga is really free so i can invite him back to Nigeria.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by Mamajama(m): 4:44pm On Mar 06, 2007
ha ha ha, the question should be how much did ADENUGA paid the senator to declare his freedom and exonerate him? if he is clean why is he on the run.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 4:46pm On Mar 06, 2007
MAMAJAMA:

come on, let's show some self respect and common sense.

Your statement is totally uncivilized.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by angel101(f): 4:54pm On Mar 06, 2007
@ Afam
what has brain washing got to do with the discussion at hand and also since when is the senate a credible voice? the same senate that collects ghana must go to pass controversial bills? come on Afam give us a break.
this is not to say that Adrnuga is guilty but then again, who is to say that he isnt? afterall has he told us how he came about his stupendous wealth?
until such a time as the average nigerian on the street can overcome sycophancy and call a spade a spade, we will not move an inch foward!
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by angel101(f): 5:01pm On Mar 06, 2007
sorry Afam i meant Big B1 kiss
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 5:07pm On Mar 06, 2007
FYI: AFAM and myself have been discussing issues like this one for the past few weeks or months; hence this is an on going discussion between the 2.

I just despise folk that sticks their fat nose where it doesn't belong.

You need to go and sit on your naughty comment; you're not ready.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by angel101(f): 5:09pm On Mar 06, 2007
pardon me for assuming that u were mature enough to carry on an adult and decent conversation. but as u are not, u may want to GET OUT of the forum as i know for a fact that u do not own it!!
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 5:10pm On Mar 06, 2007
Dude or what-ever you may be, please move on!
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by angel101(f): 5:13pm On Mar 06, 2007
i only hope that the eguje u envisage from this propaganda will last u a life time! and quite frankly nigeria does not need myopic and shallow people like yourself who are unable to accomodate others.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by angel101(f): 5:15pm On Mar 06, 2007
too narrow minded. such a pity cry
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 5:17pm On Mar 06, 2007
What ever makes you happy.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 5:24pm On Mar 06, 2007
@angel101:

You know what?
I was totally wrong, I shouldn't have responded that way. It is totally unacceptable. This is a forum and we should all respect one another while we continue to share knowledge.

I'm very sorry.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by angel101(f): 5:26pm On Mar 06, 2007
apology accepted kiss
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 5:28pm On Mar 06, 2007
You're wonderful.

Thank you so much.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 5:32pm On Mar 06, 2007
Back to the TOPIC:

Even though Senate has cleared Adenuga, but I truly feel that we should all give him a chance to clear himself at the right time.
He's an incredible Nigerian and he deserves this chance.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by chuka2003(m): 5:35pm On Mar 06, 2007
Come on, Lets stop playing dumb. how did one man amass so much wealth? what legal form of business would give one man so much wealth in a country poverty stricken like Nigeria how can he claim innocence?
Whats the big deal if the Senate clears him?? are we talking about the same senate filled with rogues, thieves, fraudsters, arms dealers and crooks duh! tongue stay there and be asking for evidence on Nairaland while OBJ, IBB, Adenuga and Co are reaping your country to shreds. don't worry, very soon you will run out of fuel for your generator so that you can't power that PC you are using to send all your yeye posts, angry
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by angel101(f): 5:37pm On Mar 06, 2007
no doubt he as every other nigerian should be given a chance to clear himself but the point i am trying to make is that the senate is not a credible body (in my own opinion) to clear Adenuga or anyone else for that matter. he should have his day in court. as far as i know, that is the arm of government empowered to do that job and not the senate. they are there to legislate and nothing else. (even that they do not do properly)
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 5:55pm On Mar 06, 2007
@angel101:

But how can you have your day in court when you have not been charged of absolutely anything?

People go to court not just for a visit, they go there because they've been charged of something and there are evidences to support the charge.

In this case, there hasn't been anything.
They investigated him for more than 6 months and they found nothing.

He's clean and his businesses continue to contribute to the development of our nation.
I haven't seen any Nigerian  who is totally focused and determined to contribute vigorously toward the development of Nigeria like this man.

If only half of the leaders could have the same spirit, Nigeria of today would have been much better.

Let's give respect to folks that deserve it.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 5:59pm On Mar 06, 2007
In addition, the man is an extremely hard working Nigerian. I haven't seen anything like that before.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by Mamajama(m): 6:29pm On Mar 06, 2007
How much were the senators paid to clear this man should be the question. a rat does not run without anyone chasing it. why then is ADENUGA on the run, people please spear us of all this KOLO. the same senators that was alleged to have collected 50 Million naira to manipulate 3rd term?
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 6:34pm On Mar 06, 2007
On the run?
You must be joking, my friend.

Usually when you're on the run, your businesses are affected negatively, but in this case the occurrence is totally opposite.

Stepping aside for politicians to battle things out is totally different from being on the run.
The man is not and will never be on the run.
Re: Otunba Mike Adeniyi Ishola Adenuga Has Been Cleared By The Senate. by BigB11(m): 6:38pm On Mar 06, 2007
Do you remember the old adage that says "raining or sun shine, a smart man must know when to step aside"

The man has done the right thing as usual; and I would have done the same if I was wearing his shoes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The VP - Goodluck Jonathan - Is Corrupt / Ohaneze: Igbo Diaspora Endorse Emma Okocha For President / Nasir El-rufai's Recent Facebook Status Update ( Returns On Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.