Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,943 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Synergize Music With Maths - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Synergize Music With Maths (391 Views)

Multiplication By 999 Tricks - Fun With Maths / NOUN: Help With Maths And Computer Science Course / 10 Things That Happen During Maths Exam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Synergize Music With Maths by sofigail(f): 3:32pm On Jan 11, 2018
It is no longer news that the conventional way of teaching mathematics is less effective for the twenty first century student.

No matter how long you stand in front of the board, some students will not understand.

Unfortunately, we label these persons derogatory names “dull”, “slow learner”, “olodo” etc without checking ourselves. �
Estrada said *if students will not learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.*

Just like we have different temperaments, we learn differently and no learner is superior or inferior. Everyone was uniquely created.

Auditory learners remember the things they hear.
Since the conventional way of teaching (lecture method) is mostly used by teachers, they often do well in class.

We label them brilliant, forgetting that _they are “brilliant” because we are teaching them the way they learn._

If we teach others based on their personality, they will be brilliant too.
Though auditory learners remember what they hear, they may forget when under pressure.

They can be helped further with the use of songs. �� There’s something delightful about songs.

I am yet to meet anyone who does not sing (whether or not they are auditory learners).

Since songs are part of us and our brains are wired to remember songs than words, it is expedient that we include songs in our maths class. *Song is an effective teaching aid* with no cost attached.�

*QUESTION*: If you are told to list the rivers in Africa, what will be your response?
I remember learning the first 20 elements and Avogadro’s law in chemistry with a song and I still remember them today despite not doing chemistry for over a decade yet I have forgotten some maths topics I did in graduate school which is more recent.

I wonder why my maths teachers never taught us songs.

Songs can transform the atmosphere from very boring � to exciting �

Songs improve retention: as a teacher, this is one of your major goals

Songs work well with special needs students. You need not be a music teacher to compose.

You can;
✔ do it yourself
✔ engage your music inclined students, just supply the lyrics.
Personally, I have been wondering why we don’t have *educational musicians*.

By that I mean people that compose songs with school subjects as lyrics.

Our industry is in need of this, if you are musically inclined, this may be your next level idea.
*Grab it now!!!* Why don’t we have *educational concerts*?

Why are we still doing only quiz and debate?

_*Let’s put on our thinking cap, things cannot remain the same way if we want these students to love learning maths*

(1) (Reply)

You Have Been WAF'd : Campuscatch WAF Prank / How To Print NYSC Batch B Stream Ii Call Up Letter Now / How To Draw A Round Hole On A Line Paper 3-d Drawing Tricks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.