Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,987 members, 7,810,754 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

Student,who Has To Charge Every Night By Plugging Himself Into The Mains To Live - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Student,who Has To Charge Every Night By Plugging Himself Into The Mains To Live (435 Views)

Photo Of Oko Poly Student Who Committed Suicide Over Failed Relationship / Photo Of 20-Year-Old Zambian Female Student Who Committed Suicide / University Otuoke Female Student Who Took Tramadol Dies During Sex In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Student,who Has To Charge Every Night By Plugging Himself Into The Mains To Live by SabiKing(m): 1:08pm On Jan 16, 2018
A 22-year-old man is the youngest person in the UK to be fitted with a battery-operated heart, which he has to charge every night by ‘plugging himself’ into the mains through a hole in his torso.

Jim Lynskey, from Redditch, Worcestershire, has an enlarged heart, known as dilated cardiomyopathy, after he and his twin sister, Grace, caught viral meningitis at just two weeks old.

Mr Lynskey, who is one of around 100 people in the UK to be fitted with the device, has to carry two large battery packs, each lasting around eight hours, a small computer device and spare equipment with him at all times.

The device keeps the weak left side of his heart pumping, with an alarm sounding if it fails and an ambulance needs to be called.

He was fitted with the appliance after suffering three life-threatening cardiac arrests, however, the device makes it more complicated for him to have a heart transplant.

Mr Lynskey, who studies food and consumer management at Sheffield University, is still optimistic he may have a transplant in the future and is speaking out to encourage people to join the organ-donation list. Jim Lynskey is the youngest person in the UK to be fitted with a battery-operated heart. He has to carry two large battery packs, a computer and spare equipment with him at all times

He has to charge it every night by ‘plugging himself’ into the mains through a hole in his torso Mr Lynskey has suffered three cardiac arrests (pictured in hospital after surgery in 2015)

‘I have to plug myself into the mains’ Mr Lynskey, who is on a priority service with his electrical suppliers in case of a power cut, said: ‘I have to plug myself into the mains electric at night whilst another machine charges the batteries.

‘Having a shower can be tricky and I have to seal the batteries in a watertight bag. ‘I always tend to avoid staying anywhere else overnight as it means taking all the equipment with me in a suitcase.’

more here:
http://www.tipsissuesonline.com/2018/01/student-22-who-has-to-charge-every.html

Re: Student,who Has To Charge Every Night By Plugging Himself Into The Mains To Live by timi0103(m): 1:20pm On Jan 16, 2018
God will heal you.

FTC

1 Like

Re: Student,who Has To Charge Every Night By Plugging Himself Into The Mains To Live by NLbully(m): 1:41pm On Jan 16, 2018
Emotional cry

Healings for you bro

Amen

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is There Any Such Thing As Bitter Leaf Tea? / Medical Doctor Loses Battle To Lassa Fever In Kogi / What To Do When A Dear One Suddenly Dies .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.