Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,932 members, 7,863,297 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 02:44 PM

Jonathan Hints At Electoral Boss' Removal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Hints At Electoral Boss' Removal (542 Views)

How Buhari Is Hurting Nigeria’s Electoral Process (Vanguard) / PDP Seeks DSS Boss Removal Over Partisanship / Fayose Mocks Buhari For Calling INEC Independent Nigeria Electoral Commission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Hints At Electoral Boss' Removal by rebranded(m): 10:23pm On Apr 12, 2010
Acting President Goodluck Jonathan has made his intention clear on restructuring the nation’s electoral body. He made this known today in Washington, stating that he would not hesitate to inject “fresh blood” into the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to ensure credible elections in 2011.

Mr. Jonathan gave the assurance while responding to questions during a breakfast meeting organised by the Council on Foreign Relations.

He noted that by June this year, a majority of the agency’s commissioners, including the current chairman, Maurice Iwu, would have completed their tenure in office. Calls for the removal of the INEC boss have intensified in the last three years over the 2007 elections that were declared flawed by local and international observers.

It’s psychological

The Nigerian leader noted that the tenures of most of the electoral officers have rounded off. According to him, “at the national level, most of the officers have completed their tenure and some will

complete theirs in a couple of months. So we are going to review them individually and the ones we feel are not good enough to be re-appointed, we will not reappoint them.”

He added that: “we will inject fresh blood and make sure that we bring people that if we mention their names, people in the civil society will be happy.”

Mr. Jonathan said the matter of INEC’s competence is also one of perception. “If people have a perception that a body cannot do what is right, even if they do what is right, people find it difficult to believe,” he said. “The story of INEC comes with the feeling that it cannot conduct credible elections in Nigeria, but that is psychological like I said it has to do with perception.”

The acting president, who is attending the U.S President’s Nuclear Security Summit, however insisted that INEC, as presently constituted, could conduct credible elections.

He noted that INEC had demonstrated its ability to conduct credible elections in the recent past, citing the elections in Edo and Anambra as well as the April 10 polls in the Federal Capital Territory .

Source: http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5553812-146/jonathan_hints_at_electoral_boss_removal.csp
Re: Jonathan Hints At Electoral Boss' Removal by rebranded(m): 10:45pm On Apr 12, 2010
This is one thing i am really looking forward to cheesy
Re: Jonathan Hints At Electoral Boss' Removal by Nobody: 10:46pm On Apr 12, 2010
Nigerians still have a lot to learn as far as diplomatic speak goes.

I don't know what Jonathan's intentions are, neither do I know what he told Obama. But if the above report of his speech to the council of foreign relations is the basis then he has not said anything about Maurice Iwu's future.

INEC has about 13 Senior Electoral Commissioners who along side Iwu their tenure come to an end in June. Injecting new blood could mean filling up these 13 posts with some new folks, it could also mean replacing Maurice Iwu but it surely does not explicitly mean either.

IT COULD MEAN ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan also told the CFR that INEC with its most recent demonstrations in Edo, Anambra and FCT has shown its capacity to conduct credible election. That can as well be interpreted as a vote of confidence on INEC leadership and its capacity to improve.

see what AFP made of the same speech

He vowed to review "individually" each member of the electoral commission.

"The ones who we feel are not good enough to be reappointed, we will not reappoint, and we'll inject fresh blood," said Jonathan, Nigeria's acting leader since he took over two months ago from ailing President Umaru Yar'Adua.

"Between now and the 2011 elections, there will be lots of changes."

Nigeria is attempting to implement wide-ranging reforms after the flawed vote in 2007 that brought Yar'Adua to power. The vote was criticized by the opposition, rights groups, local and foreign observers, including the European Union.

Jonathan sidestepped criticism of CENI chief Maurice Iwu, despite calls for his resignation from protesters in Abuja.

"I'm convinced that INEC, the president of INEC, can conduct elections in Nigeria (that are) free and fair," Jonathan said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jeWX9aNKkWqHL46jjnWQxCxR2oRw

What you make of it is entirely up to you.

But at the end of the day let us allow Jonathan make his choice. People should stop speculating on the next leadership and concentrate on suggestions on how to make the process work.
Re: Jonathan Hints At Electoral Boss' Removal by Nobody: 10:52pm On Apr 12, 2010
Mr. Jonathan said the matter of INEC’s competence is also one of perception. “If people have a perception that a body cannot do what is right, even if they do what is right, people find it difficult to believe,” he said. “The story of INEC comes with the feeling that it cannot conduct credible elections in Nigeria, but that is psychological like I said it has to do with perception.”

The acting president, who is attending the U.S President’s Nuclear Security Summit, however insisted that INEC, as presently constituted, could conduct credible elections.

He noted that INEC had demonstrated its ability to conduct credible elections in the recent past, citing the elections in Edo and Anambra as well as the April 10 polls in the Federal Capital Territory .

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5553812-146/jonathan_hints_at_electoral_boss_removal.csp

Jonathan has simply not said anything.

Before the end of June we will know one way or the other.
Re: Jonathan Hints At Electoral Boss' Removal by rebranded(m): 10:55pm On Apr 12, 2010
@mikensy

My interpretation of that is INEC policies are capable of producing a free and fair election, fortunately he mentioned that the society will be happy with the people chosen, which i believe doesnt include Iwu!

I guess its all a matter of time, but GJ will disappoint a lot of people if he retains Iwu
Re: Jonathan Hints At Electoral Boss' Removal by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 12, 2010
rebranded:

@mikensy

My interpretation of that is INEC policies are capable of producing a free and fair election, unfortunately he mentioned that the society will be happy with the people chosen, which i believe doesnt include Iwu!

I guess its all a matter of time, but GJ will disappoint a lot of people if he retains Iwu

Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

A new electoral commission board that has as it's members folks like Soyinka, Uwais, Agbakoba etc may gladen the hearts of Nigerians, but it surely does not translate into replacing the INEC Chairman.

The board of electoral commissioners should have about 13 persons, but right now it has about 5. Filling up this board to its full brim of 13 could be what Jonathan could be signalling.

He could as well be signalling that he is planning to remove Iwu.

But the point I am making is that folks are hearing what they want to hear based on their prejudices. Jonathan has not said anything new about Iwu's future. I am indifferent to the final decision though, but lets not allow our emotions get the better of us.
Re: Jonathan Hints At Electoral Boss' Removal by naijaking1: 11:08pm On Apr 12, 2010
^^^
Mikey I beg tell them cheesy
Re: Jonathan Hints At Electoral Boss' Removal by Beaf: 11:12pm On Apr 12, 2010
Jonathan is a man that keeps his moves close to his heart while smiling shyly. What he's said in very many words is that we have to wait until June to know how things will play. I wish he would just unceremoniously sack Iwu though!
Re: Jonathan Hints At Electoral Boss' Removal by naijaking1: 11:27pm On Apr 12, 2010
^^^
That's gonna be so good, you sound like you might wet your pants for it.

(1) (Reply)

Ibori Wanted ! / First Senate Session Mourns Loss Of Members ! / Crystal Home Estate, Isheri North@n4.5m/plot Payable In 10months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.