Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,915 members, 7,828,197 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? (5623 Views)

Cattle Ranching: Nigeria Should Learn From Ghana – MURIC / Ebonyi Rejects FG's Proposed Cattle Ranching / Ajimobi Visits Denmark To Understudy Cattle Ranching (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by horsepower101: 11:11am On Jan 20, 2018
It really surprises me that Considering how lucrative of a business it is, igbo businessmen and women haven't ventured into cattle ranching. Is there anything that I am missing?

Anyone who does it will become a millionaire easily in the east. It's just surprising that igbos haven't taken this opportunity.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Afam4eva(m): 11:12am On Jan 20, 2018
There are Igbo business men who own farms and are into cattle ranching. It's just that they don't move around with their cows.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by madridguy(m): 11:12am On Jan 20, 2018
tongue
Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by ajepako(f): 11:14am On Jan 20, 2018
In the same vein, l wonder why Hausa men are not into spare part business..

Or why Yoruba don't sell suya...

I think it is basically a thing of interest, ancestry and availability of resources.

My humble opinion

19 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by horsepower101: 11:15am On Jan 20, 2018
Afam4eva:
There are Igbo business men who own farms and are into cattle ranching. It's just that they don't move around with their cows.

I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Where are they?
Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by horsepower101: 11:16am On Jan 20, 2018
ajepako:

I think it is basically a thing of interest, ancestry and availability of resources.

My humble opinion

But Nothing stops anyone from doing those things.
Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Afam4eva(m): 11:17am On Jan 20, 2018
horsepower101:

I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Where are they?
There's Jessam Cattle Ranch & Farm and Eagle Farms And Cattle Ranch In Anambra in Enugu and Anambra respectively.

18 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by horsepower101: 11:23am On Jan 20, 2018
Afam4eva:

There's Jessam Cattle Ranch & Farm and Eagle Farms And Cattle Ranch In Anambra in Enugu and Anambra respectively.

I googled jessam and saw he has account on nairaland but I didn't see any pictures of cattle in his farm. I saw pigs and chickens

Eagle farm has potential but I saw like picture of 2 cows

Honestly, I am not impressed.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Doublecheck: 11:24am On Jan 20, 2018
horsepower101:
It really surprises me that Considering how lucrative of a business it is, igbo businessmen and women haven't ventured into cattle ranching. Is there anything that I am missing?

Anyone who does it will become a millionaire easily in the east. It's just surprising that igbos haven't taken this opportunity.
Op have you been to Akwa Etiti before? Except you mean on a national scale.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by internationalman(m): 11:24am On Jan 20, 2018
The same way I have yet to see a mad Hausa man or an Igbo beggar in my state...

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by horsepower101: 11:28am On Jan 20, 2018
Doublecheck:

Op have you been to Akwa Etiti before? Except you mean on a national scale.

No I haven't. Are there ranches there?
Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Doublecheck: 1:10pm On Jan 20, 2018
horsepower101:

Yes a lot of ranches Awka Etiti is know as the major cattle market in Anambra state.

It is done by many of the indigenes on large scale, sorry i dont have pictures to post might be able to help with pictures.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Nwadiuto247: 2:12pm On Jan 20, 2018
horsepower101:

In my village someone is doing it and we buy from him not from aboki.

Just give us some time and you will see us take over the business. We dey come.

18 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by baralatie(m): 2:17pm On Jan 20, 2018
your question is whether there are cattle ranchers been undertaking by non Fulani ethnic stock?
Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 20, 2018
There is a pilgrim ranch in Isuochi Abia State

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Annie939(f): 2:30pm On Jan 20, 2018
hmmmmmmmm maybe they are waiting for there brothers in the south west to start first
Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 20, 2018
horsepower101:

It’s one of the businesses I hope to venture into in future.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by doyinbaby(f): 2:37pm On Jan 20, 2018
Nwadiuto247:

In my village someone is doing it and we buy from him not from aboki.

Just give us some time and you will see us take over the business. We dey come.
I will be so happy to see a southerner rear cattle at least Fulani arrogance go reduce

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by MasterKim: 2:53pm On Jan 20, 2018
internationalman:
The same way I have yet to see a mad Hausa man or an Igbo beggar in my state...
Come ikeja grin
Na only Igbo beggers dey carry banner grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by yanshDoctor: 5:50pm On Jan 20, 2018
the truth cattle take years and too much time. and the northerners have developed patients over the century.

also cattle can be dangerous and the fullany have grown to understand and communicate with them over he the century.

if only sheep can be used to replaced the cow. southerners can easily challenge them quickly.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Almaiga: 6:16pm On Jan 20, 2018
ajepako:

My humble opinion
Get your facts right, Hausa men in the North, also do spare parts Business. Go to Panteka in Kaduna to confirm this.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by internationalman(m): 6:41pm On Jan 20, 2018
MasterKim:
Come ikeja grin Na only Igbo beggers dey carry banner grin
I doubt

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by killsmith(f): 6:54pm On Jan 20, 2018
Following
Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Nwadiuto247: 9:48pm On Jan 20, 2018
doyinbaby:
I will be so happy to see a southerner rear cattle at least Fulani arrogance go reduce

Its already happening in Igbo land
With time it will spread like fire and Fulani can't march the competition we will give them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by omohayek: 10:05pm On Jan 20, 2018
The non-participation of southerners (including Igbos) in cattle ranching has nothing to do with any particular skills unique to Fulanis or other northern groups, and everything to do with the fact that the entire south of Nigeria lie in the Tse-Tse fly belt. The trypanosomiasis carried by tse-tse flies is lethal to cattle over long periods, especially the more productive breeds of cattle favored in Europe, the Americas and Australia. The particular breed of cattle raised by the Fulani are more resistant to the effects of the disease, but they are still not completely immune, which is why the Fulani nomads generally only bring their cattle down south for parts of the year, before taking them back north again later.

What all of the above translates into is that the only way any southerners will ever do well in cattle ranching is by buying the necessary ranch lands in the north, and keeping their cattle there. Of course, they'd still face the problem of keeping Fulani nomads from turning the ranches they've bought into "free" grazing lands, as well as the burden of transporting the meat and milk they produce over Nigeria's atrocious transport infrastructure.

In short, this is yet another situation in which the lazy Nigerian preference for tribalistic stereotyping can lead one seriously astray. All this talk of particular tribes being geniuses at "business" is just a way of avoiding any research and hard thinking about what it takes to succeed in a particular field.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Desyner: 10:12pm On Jan 20, 2018
Good point by OP.
Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jan 20, 2018
Afam4eva:

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by yanshDoctor: 11:10pm On Jan 20, 2018
omohayek:
The non-participation of southerners (including Igbos) in cattle ranching has nothing to do with any particular skills unique to Fulanis or other northern groups, and everything to do with the fact that the entire south of Nigeria lie in the Tse-Tse fly belt. The trypanosomiasis carried by tse-tse flies is lethal to cattle over long periods, especially the more productive breeds of cattle favored in Europe, the Americas and Australia. The particular breed of cattle raised by the Fulani are more resistant to the effects of the disease, but they are still not completely immune, which is why the Fulani nomads generally only bring their cattle down south for parts of the year, before taking them back north again later.

What all of the above translates into is that the only way any southerners will ever do well in cattle ranching is by buying the necessary ranch lands in the north, and keeping their cattle there. Of course, they'd still face the problem of keeping Fulani nomads from turning the ranches they've bought into "free" grazing lands, as well as the burden of transporting the meat and milk they produce over Nigeria's atrocious transport infrastructure.

In short, this is yet another situation in which the lazy Nigerian preference for tribalistic stereotyping can lead one seriously astray. All this talk of particular tribes being geniuses at "business" is just a way of avoiding any research and hard thinking about what it takes to succeed in a particular field.

the south can replace there dietary to goat and ram. ram and goat are more easier a just 1 or 2 years for slaughtering

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Christistruth00: 11:51pm On Jan 20, 2018
ajepako:

My humble opinion

One of the best suya chains in
London belongs to a Yoruba man

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by Blue3k(m): 12:53am On Jan 21, 2018
omohayek:

I looked at map it seems all of Nigeria and most if sub Saharan Africa fall in belt. It's a big factor but it's can't be only excuse. There's countries like Kenya in belt that produce more cattle and have higher than Nigeria. Tanzania and Ethiopia lag behind a bit in production but have a higher herd population.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Igbo Businessmen Not Into Cattle Ranching Yet? by investnow2013: 1:03am On Jan 21, 2018
horsepower101:

yes! See some of the Cattle in AWKA-ETITI where we bought our cow owned by an Awka etitiman.

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Looks To 5G Technology To Address Security Challenges / Buhari Explains The Meaning Of Balabloo Bloo Bluu Bulaba. / Oshiomhole: From Workers' Champion To Senator-Elect - Omo-Ikirodah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.