Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,142 members, 7,845,782 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Atiku Re-de-camps To Pdp, Can’t Run Till 2012 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Re-de-camps To Pdp, Can’t Run Till 2012 (588 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: INEC Has Postponed Imo North Senatorial Re-run Till 5th Of March / Fashola Can’t Run Power Ministry Like He Ran Lagos —CACOL / Jonathan, PDP Can’t Claim Credit For Defeating Ebola — Governor Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Atiku Re-de-camps To Pdp, Can’t Run Till 2012 by kosovo(m): 7:08am On Apr 15, 2010
Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar yesterday visited the national secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), where he held nearly one hour meeting with the National Chairman of the party, Prince Vincent Ogbulafor, over his return to the party.
But Ogbulafor told journalists after the meeting that returnees or new party members have to wait for two years before they are eligible to run for elections. Except there is a special consideration for him through the setting aside of the provision in the PDP constitution, Atiku will not be able to participate in the 2011 presidential election as being speculated in some quarters.
Atiku, who drove into the PDP headquarters at exactly 12.45 pm in company with his political associates, including former National Treasurer of PDP, Kareto Umar Lawal, and Otunba Oyewole Fasawe, headed straight into the office of the National Chairman where the discussion took place.
He left the party's national secretariat at about 1.40pm.
Speaking with journalists after the meeting, Atiku said he was back to the party.
He said: "Yes, it is my party, so I am back. I went to inform him (Ogbulafor) formally that I have returned to the party since last week."

Asked what would be his interest now that he is back, the former Vice-President said: "Allow me to settle down first". He denied that he came back to the party with conditions, saying: "No conditionality at all"
When asked whether he would contest any election as he returns, Atiku said: "It is of no relevance now."
Also speaking with newsmen after the meeting with Atiku, Prince Ogbulafor acknowledged that Atiku is back to the party, and added: "His return is in line with the constitution of the party."
The PDP constitution says that any member who is returning to the party must be re-registered in his ward and that if the person wishes to contest, he must have stayed two years in the party, except there is a waiver by the National Working Committee (NWC) which must be approved by the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the party.
More

(1) (Reply)

Ibb: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria / Yerima’s Egyptian Bride: Nhrc Seeks Senate Probe / Pax Nigeriana, Nigeria's Pioneering Graphic Novel Is Now For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.