Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,312 members, 7,819,065 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. (657 Views)

Mental Illness Among Jehovah’s Witnesses. / What I Think About Tattoos – Apostle Suleman / "Religion And Poverty Are Dating" - Daddy Freeze Reacts To This Tweet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by Martinez19(m): 7:31am On Jan 25, 2018
Religious beliefs do seem to have a relationship with mental illness. After all religion is a delusion itself. Religion doesn't cause mental illness instead it makes sane people do insane things. However if one has a mental illness, one's religious beliefs may flourish on that illness and those belief might make the illness worsen ie. Mental illness is a good breeding ground for the explosive display of religious beliefs.

NB: I am talking about mental illness that involves delusion and Hallucination eg schizophrenia.

Catfishbilly, HopefulLandord, HardMirror, Johnydon22, hahn, 1Sharon, 0temSapien, Nilfeim, proudgorgeousga, Tozara, donffd, adepeter2027, decide, dalaman, akintom
Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by thorpido(m): 7:46am On Jan 25, 2018
Often times,those who say they do not believe in religious or God find themselves always talking about religion or God.They get so hung up on it.
That's a perfect expression of mental illness.
Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by Nobody: 7:46am On Jan 25, 2018
Beliefs generally have nothing to do with religion. Beliefs are formed from values which we have about nature and things we come in contact with.

Even non-religious people do have their own beliefs. It's a value system thing.
When beliefs form part of attitude and character, it might be exhibited in ways that are unconventional with what people are already used to, and that has nothing to do with illness.

1 Like

Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by Martinez19(m): 7:58am On Jan 25, 2018
thorpido:
Often times,those who say they do not believe in religious or God find themselves always talking about religion or God.They get so hung up on it.
I don't know how many times I will refute this argument. Are you people deaf or what? What don't believe in religious doctrine and gods. What we do is expose the falsehood of the ridiculous garbage called religion. It is in the best interest of humanity that we do it so that innocent people are not left vulnerable to mental slavery, exploitation and have their life wasted away in services to these things.

Talking to an imaginary being and praising and the worshipping him is insane. Giving your hard earned money to the imaginary being and the reverence of a human being like you because you think he is anointed by that imaginary being is insane too.

5 Likes

Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by Nobody: 8:02am On Jan 25, 2018
This is a great article.

Evidence points to the fact that religion can and does in many cases result in mental illness to varying degrees, especially PENTECOSTALISM and extreme JIHADIC IDEOLOGY.

4 Likes

Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by thorpido(m): 8:11am On Jan 25, 2018
Martinez19:
I don't know how many times I will refute this argument. Are you people deaf or what? What don't believe in religious doctrine and gods. What we do is expose the falsehood of the ridiculous garbage called religion. It is in the best interest of humanity that we do it so that innocent people are not left vulnerable to mental slavery, exploitation and have their life wasted away in services to these things.

Talking to an imaginary being and praising and the worshipping him is insane. Giving your hard earned money to the imaginary being and the reverence of a human being like you because you think he is anointed by that imaginary being is insane too.
I understand.Denial is usually a classic expression of mental illness.
Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by Martinez19(m): 8:13am On Jan 25, 2018
thorpido:
I understand.Denial is usually a classic expression of mental illness.
undecided

Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by GoodMuyis(m): 8:36am On Jan 25, 2018
There is an atheist doctor who believes that he can transplant human head.
What a faith!

Isn't that top grade madness?
Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by Martinez19(m): 8:42am On Jan 25, 2018
GoodMuyis:
What a faith!

Einstein believed and calculated that the curvature of spacetime is the cause of gravity but people taught he was mad. Now Einstein's relativity is part of science.

1 Like

Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by Emmytes(m): 2:37pm On Jan 30, 2018
GoodMuyis:
What a faith!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jwD2ZAMoao
Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by plaetton: 4:29pm On Jan 30, 2018
Martinez19:
Religious beliefs do seem to have a relationship with mental illness. After all religion is a delusion itself. Religion doesn't cause mental illness instead it makes sane people do insane things. However if one has a mental illness, one's religious beliefs may flourish on that illness and those belief might make the illness worsen ie. Mental illness is a good breeding ground for the explosive display of religious beliefs.

NB: I am talking about mental illness that involves delusion and Hallucination eg schizophrenia.

Catfishbilly, HopefulLandord, HardMirror, Johnydon22, hahn, 1Sharon, 0temSapien, Nilfeim, proudgorgeousga, Tozara, donffd, adepeter2027, decide, dalaman, akintom

Absolutely right.

The correlation is stunning.

And we need to remind ourselves that most , if not all the founders of world's major religions and sects are post-diagnosed as being [b ]schizotypal [/b]l personalities .
Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by plaetton: 4:32pm On Jan 30, 2018
thorpido:
If you are surrounded by people who exhibit classic symptoms of insanity, there is no reason why you should stay quite and unconcerned, especially when their outbursts of insanity affects your daily life.
Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by thorpido(m): 5:36pm On Jan 30, 2018
plaetton:

If you are surrounded by people who exhibit classic symptoms of insanity, there is no reason why you should stay quite and unconcerned, especially when their outbursts of insanity affects your daily life.
True but insanity is expressed in different ways.
Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by GoodMuyis(m): 9:19am On Jan 31, 2018
Emmytes:

https://ssyoutube.com/watch?v=_jwD2ZAMoao
Did you understand what you watch.
THE animal he used for experiment did not survive
Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by danvon(m): 10:27am On Jan 31, 2018
In other words anyone who sees something spiritual is hallucinating, anyone who doesn't see it, is mad for believing something he can't see.
Re: Religion And Mental Illness. What I Think. by adepeter2027(m): 6:14pm On Jan 31, 2018
danvon:
In other words anyone who sees something spiritual is hallucinating, anyone who doesn't see it, is mad for believing something he can't see.
101% yes.

Symptoms of madness

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Asks Two Christian Ministers To Pray At FEC Meeting / International Youth Alive Convention 2018 / Shepherd Bushiri’s Sons in the lord Die in Truck accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.