Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,644 members, 7,809,423 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:20 AM

Derin Ologbenla - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Derin Ologbenla (5199 Views)

Wasiu Ayinde Is Mayegun Of Oyo Not Yorùbá Land : Prince Adedoyin Ologbenla (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Derin Ologbenla by Nobody: 12:22am On Mar 11, 2018
Olu317:

1. The dreaded Ogun that went as far as Ekiti and was known as Ogun Onirè,and went to different places executing war and whose name was a corruption of Ogun Ooni rè. This was the only Ogun,the descendants of Odudua that was troublesome and love prosecuting war. If, your assertion is true,then the regency status as Ooni is contentious of a warrior son as Ogun. But,then,there are information that had been lost to the wind because Oral account isn't too perfect and I understand this with humility. However, there are discrepancy among the listing of Oonis if your information is correct because, the ranking showed Ogun reigned after Obamakin was chased from the throne. And Obalufon Ogbogbodinrin reigned after Ogun had left before he died around present day Shaki.

2. The historical account identify Oranmiyan formed Bini before establishing Oyo ilè and not the reverse.

3. In as much that Obalufon was also related to Oranmiyan through Obatala—Odudua connection , which can't be denounced because there are so many Odudua descendants that are eligible to the throne but Eledumare allowed Lajamisan to hold forth despite, internal family disagreement over who is to become the Ooni. The point here is that I understand what you mean.

1. Ogun never had any exploit in Ife, despite being known in every other place as a brash blood thirsty warrior. Rather, his exploits were after he had left Ife. In Ife he was a blacksmith, a private one at that with his tools & spot upon which he worked still at Ife, up & running by other black smiths. There are discrepancies with the Oonis’ list available to the public but it is intentional & I won’t drag that into our discussion.

2. A mistake on my part. I should add that Oyo was founded by one of Oranmiyan’s maternal brothers called Oloyo. Oranmiyan only went there to stabilize things, the same thing he did in Bini earlier.

3. Obalufon is related to Olufon. Olufon was Obatala’s first son. Obalufon was part of Obatala/Obamakin’s group, he was not related to Oduduwa or Oranmiyan. Lajemisin tried to entrench himself and his line into Ife thone by killing & banishing many people/houses that had rights to the throne. He tried but after he passed, things became business as usual until the recent century.

Cheers, baba.

P.S:

- the line tagged red is to show connection to Obalufon.

- the lines tagged green are parts of Obatala’s Oriki.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Derin Ologbenla by Nobody: 12:55am On Mar 11, 2018
Also, I may have just stumbled on a theory explaining the connection between Luusi, Giesi and Agbedegbede.

From the first picture attached it says, ‘Omo Luusi, Omo Debooye’.

* Debooye was Giesi’s only child, a female. Debooye gave birth to Agbedegbede and I am guessing Luusi was Debooye’s husband and Agbedegbede’s father.

And this is why Agbedegbede compound and attached conpounds have ‘Omo Luusi, Omo Debooye’ included in their Oriki.

See the second picture attached.

I will be deleting them soon, so I hope you are able to see them quickly before I take them off.
Re: Derin Ologbenla by Olu317(m): 5:54pm On Mar 11, 2018
Y0ruba:

1. Ogun never had any exploit in Ife, despite being known in every other place as a brash blood thirsty warrior. Rather, his exploits were after he had left Ife. In Ife he was a blacksmith, a private one at that with his tools & spot upon which he worked still at Ife, up & running by other black smiths. There are discrepancies with the Oonis’ list available to the public but it is intentional & I won’t drag that into our discussion.

2. A mistake on my part. I should add that Oyo was founded by one of Oranmiyan’s maternal brothers called Oloyo. Oranmiyan only went there to stabilize things, the same thing he did in Bini earlier.

3. Obalufon is related to Olufon. Olufon was Obatala’s first son. Obalufon was part of Obatala/Obamakin’s group, he was not related to Oduduwa or Oranmiyan. Lajemisin tried to entrench himself and his line into Ife thone by killing & banishing many people/houses that had rights to the throne. He tried but after he passed, things became business as usual until the recent century.

Cheers, baba.

P.S:

- the line tagged red is to show connection to Obalufon.

- the lines tagged green are parts of Obatala’s Oriki.
1. It seems what happened to him was the reason he became ruthless and blood thirsty. Quite interesting.

2. Major oral account I had come across only acknowledged Oranmiyan–Odédè as the founder of Katunga after he left Bini,which was less than a year ,after Owomika(Eweka) was born. Although, the years he spent during the prosecution of the war against Aka-Ika-Efa-Udu -Edo was longer than two years. And after he left,he moved toward the direction of ancient Owu– Ogbon settlement (Olugbon's settlement) and moved again upward before he settled down to start a new kingdom,known as Katunga –
Oyo ILE, which is somewhere , around ILorin enclave.

3. The point you raised here about Obamakin–Obalufon is mind burgling and very informative. Although, in some quarters, maternal connection of Odudua's daughter to Obatala made the relationship with Odudua descendants connected to Obalufon. And I had checked the list of Oonis previously and saw that ,it took close to half of a century– century before Oranmiyan descendants emerged again as Oonis, which made Lajamisan became ruthless.And when war broke out against us at ILE IFE around 1870s, I guess the clan that stuck out their lives as they had done in the past,deserve the coveted crown.

* The info you have shared as it relates to Oonis is really enough because anything, more than this, will be disastrous. Although, light ones that is not complicated, can be inferred and shared.

Cheers
Re: Derin Ologbenla by Olu317(m): 5:59pm On Mar 11, 2018
Y0ruba:
Also, I may have just stumbled on a theory explaining the connection between Luusi, Giesi and Agbedegbede.

* Debooye was Giesi’s only child, a female. Debooye gave birth to Agbedegbede and I am guessing Luusi was Debooye’s husband and Agbedegbede’s father.

And this is why Agbedegbede compound and attached conpounds have ‘Omo Luusi, Omo Debooye’ included in their Oriki.

I will be deleting them soon, so I hope you are able to see them quickly before I take them off.
Yeah, Kindly delete them immediately. Please please.
Re: Derin Ologbenla by Olu317(m): 6:07pm On Mar 11, 2018
Y0ruba:

Now,on the connection, Luusi was a very strong warrior that did great exploit. And in the olden days, we marry among ourselves to sustain the pure royal blood. Although, I don't know the connection to Debooye as regard marriage but Laade was a grandson of Luusi. His full name was ORIMA ALADE.
Re: Derin Ologbenla by Nobody: 10:04pm On Mar 11, 2018
Olu317:
Yeah, Kindly delete them immediately. Please please.

Yes, papi.

Done that.
Re: Derin Ologbenla by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 11, 2018
Olu317:
Now,on the connection, Luusi was a very strong warrior that did great exploit. And in the olden days, we marry among ourselves to sustain the pure royal blood. Although, I don't know the connection to Debooye as regard marriage but Laade was a grandson of Luusi. His full name was ORIMA ALADE.

Oh, interesting.

Agbedegbede in his Oriki was regarded as ‘Omo Luusi, Omo Debooye’.

Debooye was a female, the only child of Giesi who wore the Ade-Are & performed the duties of the Ooni in the stead of her father who was old and frail.

Debooye has her compound at Ife, she had kids with Agbedegbe being one of them. I am tempted to think Luusi was the father of Agbedegbede.

How else could he have been regarded as Omo Luusi & Omo Debooye.

It is a postulation with a high possibility of being true but I will raise if when I get home next week & get back to you on it on whatever I find.
Re: Derin Ologbenla by Nobody: 10:28pm On Mar 11, 2018
Olu317:

1. It seems what happened to him was the reason he became ruthless and blood thirsty. Quite interesting.

2. Major oral account I had come across only acknowledged Oranmiyan–Odédè as the founder of Katunga after he left Bini,which was less than a year ,after Owomika(Eweka) was born. Although, the years he spent during the prosecution of the war against Aka-Ika-Efa-Udu -Edo was longer than two years. And after he left,he moved toward the direction of ancient Owu– Ogbon settlement (Olugbon's settlement) and moved again upward before he settled down to start a new kingdom,known as Katunga –
Oyo ILE, which is somewhere , around ILorin enclave.

3. The point you raised here about Obamakin–Obalufon is mind burgling and very informative. Although, in some quarters, maternal connection of Odudua's daughter to Obatala made the relationship with Odudua descendants connected to Obalufon. And I had checked the list of Oonis previously and saw that ,it took close to half of a century– century before Oranmiyan descendants emerged again as Oonis, which made Lajamisan became ruthless.And when war broke out against us at ILE IFE around 1870s, I guess the clan that stuck out their lives as they had done in the past,deserve the coveted crown.

* The info you have shared as it relates to Oonis is really enough because anything, more than this, will be disastrous. Although, light ones that is not complicated, can be inferred and shared.

Cheers

1. Possibly.

2. In Oyo history, it is said that Oranmiyan was going to avenge his father at Mecca & founded Oyo. In Ife history, Owa Ilesa, Oloyo & Oranmiyan were brothers of the same mother - this is why Alaafin, Olubini & Owa see themselves as one till tomorrow; Owa sends presents to Alaafin as the younger brother & Alaafin sends gifts as the egbon; Olubini used to participate in the ‘love’ but things have changed with them.

The town Oranmiyan founded was Oko, present day Osile Egba. He only helped stabilize Bini kingdom & left, he also stabilized Oloyo’s kingdom & left. Bini history states that Oranmiyan spent years waiting for his son, Owomika, to grow up. We can not guess the years he waited for & years he spent traveling the forests. Also Katunga was what Hausa called Oyo people & Oyo Ile town; the same way we refer to Hausa as Gambari & Bornu people as Beri Beri or Kanike.

3. Baba, make I nor go write rubbish response or assume. Abeg, the part I emboldened nor clear to me. Abeg you fit try explain am, please?

I guess Lajemisin did what he had to do. Dude was ruthless and nasty but Aderemi gave the lineage the real victory because it was in his time they pin pointed houses of Oranmiyan’s descendants and made them legitimate owners of the throne under the authority of the colonialists first and the then Western Region government at the time which he was the head of. If it was in the time past, the Obatala group would have hijacked or been plotting ways to hijack the throne again because they own the Ade-Are. It was an endless circle and periodic brutal civil unrests that the colonialists’ presence checked.
Re: Derin Ologbenla by Olu317(m): 2:14pm On Mar 12, 2018
Y0ruba:

Oh, interesting.

Agbedegbede in his Oriki was regarded as ‘Omo Luusi, Omo Debooye’.

Debooye was a female, the only child of Giesi who wore the Ade-Are & performed the duties of the Ooni in the stead of her father who was old and frail.

Debooye has her compound at Ife, she had kids with Agbedegbe being one of them. I am tempted to think Luusi was the father of Agbedegbede.

How else could he have been regarded as Omo Luusi & Omo Debooye.

It is a postulation with a high possibility of being true but I will raise if when I get home next week & get back to you on it on whatever I find.
The oriki(cognomen–epithet) of Ooni Agbedegbede etc mentioning his paternal affiliation to Oluusi could be as a result of any connection because some of Luusi descendants moved back to ILE IFE could be his father or even Orimalaade ( Postulation on Agbedegbede affiliation). Although most of the times,Oriki is attached to the great ancestors that had done exploit in ones ancestral lineage because, the epithet doesn't follow ascending pattern, etc . And Oluusi left ILE IFE with his princely paraphernalia and he was said to had lived over 200 years. This is probably before Agbedegbede existence because Luusi left around 12th–13th/14th century. Except Ooni Agbedegbede reigned around 14th—15th century or thereabout. And as I had mentioned earlier,there were intermarriages between same lineage though not of same parents but distant cousins. Although, some of the dates are contestable because of inaccuracy with the years of their existence.
Your going to ILE IFE, will do a lot of revelation. And Luusi was ruthless too in war prosecution.... All these princes warrior were mercenaries and renowned ones with glory.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Words Of Tribal Origin Used As General Slangs & Their Meanings / Who Are The True Lagosians? The Yorubas, Igbos Or The Benins? / Do Nigerians Murder The English Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.