Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,724 members, 7,813,390 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:42 AM

89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics (15569 Views)

Best Universities In Nigeria 2021 - Webometrics / Best Universities In Nigeria 2021 - Webometrics / Webometrics Ranking Of Nigerian Universities (2020) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by tdayof(m): 7:37am On Jan 28, 2018
...and NUC released one useless ranking. grin
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 28, 2018
We can actually think up ways to make things better for the upcoming generations. I've been thinking,,,, it'd take a few years.... Think and act rather than compare and bash
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Tunasco4u(m): 7:38am On Jan 28, 2018
All I know is that my school is still far better than those of the last ranked
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Alejoas(m): 7:40am On Jan 28, 2018
We are not about the improve come next year...... Sorry situation we have been in for a generation and no urgency to get out at sight!
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Nobody: 7:46am On Jan 28, 2018
Walelavender:

There's nothing embarrassing about this. The ranking was premised on the effect of the research of these Varsities on the Nigerian and global community. Don't tell me LAUTECH lecturers went to sleep at home during the protracted strike without contributing anything to the body of knowledge. It's Webomatric ranking. Let's wait for NUC(made in Nigeria) ranking before raising an eyebrow.

You really choose to believe an institution whose entire body collapsed for a duration of over two years, with its lecturers not being paid at all, and all laboratories completely shut down by its NASU arm could contribute more to the body of knowledge than may others who were in active operation all through those period?

C'mon man, would those lecturers fund researches even when they weren't on the Government's payroll and plan for years?

LAUTECH above unizik, Lasu, Unical and even Bowen goes to prove webometric isn't well informed.

2 Likes

Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by EternalTruth: 7:46am On Jan 28, 2018
Where is StatSocial?

1 Like

Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by bentopsy(m): 7:48am On Jan 28, 2018
writerights:

Lol. I understand.
@
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by darkelf: 7:48am On Jan 28, 2018
Although a unilag alumnus, but I still feel that Unilorin should be ranked as the best in Nigeria.

A newer and more comprehensive form of ranking is needed
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by darkelf: 7:51am On Jan 28, 2018
writerights:

You really choose to believe an institution whose entire body collapsed for a duration of over two years, with its lecturers not being paid at all, and all laboratories completely shut down by its NASU arm could contribute more to the body of knowledge than may others who were in active operation all through those period?

C'mon man, would those lecturers fund researches even when they weren't on the Government's payroll and plan for years?

I don't think he understands the seriousness of funding needed for research. Even with the trillions of dollars spent by the US NIH on research in US universities, the private sector also supports in various ways because the researchers feel that government funding isn't enough
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 28, 2018
darkelf:
Although a unilag alumnus, but I still feel that Unilorin should be ranked as the best in Nigeria.

A newer and more comprehensive form of ranking is needed

Exactly, I also feel unilorin deserves a better spot but the criteria of ranking doesn't cover that. I better way of ranking should be evaluated. Let's wait for 4icu ranking.
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 28, 2018
darkelf:

I don't think he understands the seriousness of funding needed for research. Even with the trillions of dollars spent by the US NIH on research in US universities, the private sector also supports in various ways because the researchers feel that government funding isn't enough

Sometimes, some choose to believe wrong things out of sentiment.
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Coldfeets: 7:58am On Jan 28, 2018
Glorified secondary school!

ALL of them! sad
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by AnodaIT(m): 8:08am On Jan 28, 2018
Yet APC listed selling of JAMB forms as one of its achievements
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Mynightmare: 8:14am On Jan 28, 2018
Do you think we are going to be ranked high when the budget for cow colony is bigger than that of education?
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by HigherEd: 8:16am On Jan 28, 2018
writerights:

Exactly, I also feel unilorin deserves a better spot but the criteria of ranking doesn't cover that. I better way of ranking should be evaluated. Let's wait for 4icu ranking.
4icu.org is a useless non academic ranking. It ranks the popularity of websites and not their quality.

1 Like

Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Fifthwave(f): 8:26am On Jan 28, 2018
If our universities are to compete globally, here are my suggestions.

1. Privatise all federal and state Universities, then leave only 6 Federal Universities in all geopolitical zones to remain funded. These 6 government funded universities should include:
SW: University of Ibadan
SE: University of Nigeria, Nsukka
SS: University of Porthacourt
NE: University of Maiduguri
NW: Ahmadu Bello University
NC: University of Abuja
Entrance into these FG funded universities should be merit based with fees highly subsidised.

2. Open an accessible Student loan under the Ministry of Education to help fund students in the now inflated tuition rates in the newly privatised universities.

3. Primary and secondary schools should receive more funding. Which is where the foundation lies. Technical Education should be set up and funded to reduce the population seeking admission into university education.

4. Universities should focus on problem solving, high-brow R&grin which would attract funding from industry and alumni.

With these, our universities would be highly competitive, with a more stable academic calendar, and would attract an international community which also is an index of ranking by Times Higher Education.

This is just a thought, there could be better ways we can handle our falling standard of Education. But believe me, with the current trajectory of Education in Nigeria, it is the Privately owned universities that are competing favourably with universities around the would.

It is time we take Education away from the government.

1 Like

Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Fifthwave(f): 8:31am On Jan 28, 2018
writerights:

4icu is only based on website popularity. How frequent people visit institutions' website.
Times Higher Education is more detailed in ranking, they consider; Teacher - Student ratio, international community, research output amongst others. THE ranking is more holistic in it's ranking and they consider the programmes being offered by the institutions.
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 28, 2018
Fifthwave:

4icu is only based on website popularity. How frequent people visit institutions' website.
Times Higher Education is more detailed in ranking, they consider; Teacher - Student ratio, international community, research output amongst others. THE ranking is more holistic in it's ranking and they consider the programmes being offered by the institutions.

Has THE released her ranking this year?
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by HigherEd: 8:36am On Jan 28, 2018
writerights:

Later this year and no jokes about 5 Nigerian Universities are going to be contesting for top 1000 universities.
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by 12submarine(m): 8:44am On Jan 28, 2018
TechEnthusiast:
Why do we always carry last?
Where is ATBU ranked?
36 on national ranking and 7277 on world ranking. Are you a balewite?
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Nobody: 8:51am On Jan 28, 2018
HigherEd:
Top 23 Nigerian Universities which made top 5000

Then, this list contain the best 23 Universities in Nigeria. I do not trust local rankings. How can a school up there rank No. 1 while educational Advancement is higher in the south?

Before you quote me, list the last 23 books you read and the bookshop you bought them. grin

2 Likes

Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by bionixs: 8:58am On Jan 28, 2018
HigherEd:
According to the January 2018 Edition of the Webometric Ranking, out of the over 25,000 higher Institutions in the World and 209 Higher instutions ranked in Nigeria only a handful of 23 Universities (representing 11%)in Nigeria made top 5,000 in the World.

The Top 23 Universities which were led by the University of Ibadan with a Global rank of 1099 followed in Second place by Covenant University, Ota with 2,142 Global rank and coming in Third place was Obafemi Awolowo University.

The Top 23 Universities were dominated by 19 Federal Universities, 3 state Universities and 2 private Universities.

Covenant University Ota remained the Only non - federal university in the top 10 ranking.

On the African Stage the University of Capetown remained number 1 with a 290 Global rank while University of Ibadan ranked 11th place while Covenant University came in at 34th.

Also worthy of note is that the Openness indicator of Webometrics rated the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in the latest edition of the ranking as the most cited University in Nigeria by Universities across the Globe.

In comparison to South Africa, Kenya and Ghana Nigeria Universities were poorly represented in the top 40 rankings in Africa.

The dismal performance of over 89% of Nigerian Universities who couldn't make top 5,000 could mostly be as a result of more emphasis in the Excellence indicator of the Webometric Ranking[b](which rates the top 10% highly cited researchers in 26 disciplines)[/b] which saw Excellence increase from 30-35% and a decrease of Presence from 10-5%.

Methodology of the Webometric Ranking
Webometrics uses link analysis for quality evaluation as it is a far more powerful tool than citation analysis or global surveys. In the first case, bibliometrics only counts formal recognition between peers, while links not only includes bibliographic citations but also third parties involvement with university activities. Surveys are not a suitable tool for World Rankings as there is not even a single individual with a deep (several semesters per institution), multi-institutional (several dozen), multidisciplinary (hard sciences, biomedicine, social sciences, technologies) experience in a representative sample (different continents) of universities worldwide.

Research output is also key topic for Webometrics, but including not only formal (e-journals, repositories) publications but also informal scholarly communication. Web publication is cheaper, maintaining the high standards of quality of peer review processes. It could also reach much larger potential audiences, offering access to scientific knowledge to researchers and institutions located in developing countries and also to third parties (economic, industrial, political or cultural stakeholders) in their local community.

Ranking Source: http://www.webometrics.info/en/Africa/Nigeria?page=1

Blog Source:
https://educationexplorersite./2018/01/27/89-of-nigerian-universities-fail-to-make-top-5000-webometrics/

Lalasticlala Seun
Covenant University Ota remained the Only non - federal university in the top 10 ranking... haters aboard 3 Danfo buses heading toward 3rd mainland bridge

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Fifthwave(f): 8:58am On Jan 28, 2018
writerights:

They have and for the first time in its history we have two UK universities top the list.

1. University of Oxford, United Kingdom
2. University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
3. California Institute of Technology, United States
4. Stanford University, United States
5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States
6. Harvard University, United States
7. Princeton University, United States
8. Imperial College London, United Kingdom
9. University of Chicago
10. ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Switzerland.

And the interesting thing about this ranking is, they are ranked based on the following indices; Teaching, Research, Citations, Industry Income, International Outlook, No. of FTE (full time enrolled) Students, No. of students per staff, International Students, Female:Male Ratio.
And the range of programmes offered in each University is taken into consideration.
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by bionixs: 9:00am On Jan 28, 2018
HigherEd:
The remaining 186 universities(89%) which failed to reach the top 5,000

As you can see most of the Nigerian Higher Institutions had 5777 score at the Excellence Indicator - which appears to be the worst score any University can get on that parameter. That would mean that much of the research output in those schools are of little use or relevance in Nigeria or the Global research Community

N.B: In Webometrics four indicators bigger numbers reflect low value hence the lesser the number on the four indicators the better.
browsing for LASU! Where did it go?
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Fifthwave(f): 9:04am On Jan 28, 2018
jerryunit48:
Many of the students dey nairaland with bad bad English

Should a university be responsible for teaching them "English"?
What did they do from kindergarten through Secondary school?
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Small080(m): 9:07am On Jan 28, 2018
That ranking don't concern me but why university of Ibadan be the first in Nigeria. Ibadan sha
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by Nobody: 9:10am On Jan 28, 2018
Fifthwave:

They have and for the first time in its history we have two UK universities top the list.

1. University of Oxford, United Kingdom
2. University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
3. California Institute of Technology, United States
4. Stanford University, United States
5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States
6. Harvard University, United States
7. Princeton University, United States
8. Imperial College London, United Kingdom
9. University of Chicago
10. ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Switzerland.

And the interesting thing about this ranking is, they are ranked based on the following indices; Teaching, Research, Citations, Industry Income, International Outlook, No. of FTE (full time enrolled) Students, No. of students per staff, International Students, Female:Male Ratio.
And the range of programmes offered in each University is taken into consideration.

UK and US everywhere. Did Nigerian universities make it?
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by bionixs: 9:12am On Jan 28, 2018
Affable0709:
See my school... just see.
I can't even mention it.

what's their method of ranking?
I want to 'up grade' my school...
who speaks bad English pass Japanese,Chinese,Germans and even most Englishmen?
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by HigherEd: 9:22am On Jan 28, 2018
writerights:

UK and US everywhere. Did Nigerian universities make it?
Only UI.
Re: 89% of Nigerian Universities Fail to Make Top 5,000 in the World - Webometrics by WeRblessed(f): 9:31am On Jan 28, 2018
jerryunit48:
Many of the students dey nairaland with bad bad English

You talk true my Bros. So many of them can't differentiate "been" from "being", " I'm" from "am". Cry just de hungry me now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kogi State University Post Ume / JAMB Meets With Other Stakeholders To Finalize Sales Of 2017 UTME Form / Delsu 2nd Batch Admission List Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.