Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,312 members, 7,822,540 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

Babies Switched At Birth - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Babies Switched At Birth (28575 Views)

Enugu: Woman Discovers Daughter 20 Yrs After She Was Stolen At Birth In Hospital / Kokozaria And Wife, Oyinda Lose Their Conjoined Twins At Birth / Paternity Fraud In Nigeria: DNA Test Should Be Mandatory At Birth - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babies Switched At Birth by spacyzuma(m): 2:58pm On Jan 29, 2018
This is the first time I’m visiting the family section of NL, but this is the best place to discuss this subject.

Have you ever had doubts that you’re not the true child of your parents? Or that you’re not the true parent of your child? Or that one member of your family must have been adopted because he/she looks/acts so different from the rest of the family?

Have you considered that you or your child or that family member could have been SWITCHED AT BIRTH?

Months ago, I read 2 separate incidents of children who were mistakenly switched at birth and discovered it years later. One happened in South Africa, the other happened at Bogota Colombia.

When I was a kid, I watched a movie with my family called “Switched at Birth” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched_at_Birth_(film)
Today, for some reason, I remembered the film and googled it. It was based on real-life story in America.

Then I found this page and I recommend that you all read it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babies_switched_at_birth#In_reality
Full of real-life situations where it was discovered that babies had been switched at birth. Some ended happily. Some were just painful to read, like the Japanese truck driver who was 60 years old when he discovered that he was from royalty and had been switched at birth :’(

Babies switched at birth is rare, but it does happen. And the consequences can be really huge and expensive.
It can happen due to mistakes from midwives and hospital staff.
It can also be malicious. I’m sure many of us have heard at least one story of a midwife ‘stealing’ a healthy newborn baby and selling it, while lying to the parents that their baby died, or substituting another baby instead. Or the one where one of the parents connives with the midwife to replace a female baby because they want a baby boy. SMH.

I wonder how often this happens in Nigeria.
But then remember that in Nigeria, we generally are very poor at recording data, keeping records, and conducting proper investigations.

This is another good reason why DNA testing is recommended for children. It’s not always because of suspicions of cheating. But also to assist medical history.

If you’ve had such suspicions about yourself or anyone, please don’t panic! And don’t start stupidly blaming enemies or village people or witches/wizards/Satan (rme). It's also not by yelling "God/Allah forbid!" and doing prayers. It can happen to anyone. Thankfully, we live in an era where we have scientific tools to investigate these things. If you can afford to, please do DNA test to calm or confirm your suspicions.
Sometimes, you don’t even need DNA testing (which is very expensive). Blood genotype tests may be enough.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 29, 2018
nope no chance I was switched at birth. I'm my mother's daughter 100%.

but with Nigeria being a shìthole country it probably happens a lot. cheesy lalasticlala what do ya think.

modified 1st time being 1st to comment on fp topic yet I don't feel special and no money in my bank account undecided

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 4:30pm On Jan 29, 2018
Mara & Clara,I have heard of cases like this one was a three month old baby it was easy to locate the parents and give the children back .To me if the children are grown up and a bond is there it would be hard for such families to let go.Switching babies at birth still happens but as for me I know the parents I have are my rightful parents because once you see me you don see my papa(in almost everything).That DNA testing is important because I nor fit go train another person pikin or get bond with another person pikin.

8 Likes

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by Splinz(m): 4:37pm On Jan 29, 2018
Baby switched is real, no doubt, and there's this tendency of recording a high level of it in this part of the world. I mean, even our sheer carelessness is enough.

Ahem! That reminds me. Could it be that Okorocha and Rotimi Amaechi are products of baby switched

39 Likes

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by Tomoyayi(m): 4:40pm On Jan 29, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Mara & Clara,I have heard of cases like this one was a three month old baby it was easy to locate the parents and give the children back .To me if the children are grown up and a bond is there it would be hard for such families to let go.Switching babies at birth still happens but as for me I know the parents I have are my rightful parents because once you see me you don see my papa(in almost everything).That DNA testing is important because I nor fit go train another person pikin or get bond with another person pikin.

I wan see you picture
Re: Babies Switched At Birth by Tomoyayi(m): 4:40pm On Jan 29, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

I wan see your picture

1 Like

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by spacyzuma(m): 4:47pm On Jan 29, 2018
Thankfully, I'm 99.9% sure that I'm the biological son of the man and woman who raised me.
Anyone who has seen me, my father and grandfather will confirm that we all look very similar.
My grandfather's wife even calls me "Di'm"...she believes I'm his reincarnaion cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by smatt1711: 6:14pm On Jan 29, 2018
Who cares unless Obj was actually my father

Pleas guys am looking for accommodation in Onitsha , a decent one bedroom self-contained or 2 rooms with each room having a separate toilet and bathroom .(must have water) phone me zero eight zero, eight seven five four three eight five three

Reward is 10000(10k)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by ekems2017(f): 6:15pm On Jan 29, 2018
I respect Maitama District Hospital Abuja in this aspect. They are extra careful. Your relative must be there to receive your baby after cleaning and dressing him/her. They must first show you your baby then ask you to identify the sex before taking the child out.

10 Likes

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by oyetunder(m): 6:15pm On Jan 29, 2018
Who told you i care? Go and read your books like me and stop your insinuations pls. Buhari is even exchanging your destiny...go write him a letter.

2 Likes

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jan 29, 2018
All na money, give doc and nurse money and you get whatever you need.

3 Likes

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by Troublemaker007(m): 6:17pm On Jan 29, 2018
spacyzuma:
This is the first time I’m visiting the family section of NL, but this is the best place to discuss this subject.

Have you ever had doubts that you’re not the true child of your parents? Or that you’re not the true parent of your child? Or that one member of your family must have been adopted because he/she looks/acts so different from the rest of the family?

Have you considered that you or your child or that family member could have been SWITCHED AT BIRTH?

Months ago, I read 2 separate incidents of children who were mistakenly switched at birth and discovered it years later. One happened in South Africa, the other happened at Bogota Colombia.

When I was a kid, I watched a movie with my family called “Switched at Birth” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched_at_Birth_(film)
Today, for some reason, I remembered the film and googled it. It was based on real-life story in America.

Full of real-life situations where it was discovered that babies had been switched at birth. Some ended happily. Some were just painful to read, like the Japanese truck driver who was 60 years old when he discovered that he was from royalty and had been switched at birth :’(

Babies switched at birth is rare, but it does happen. And the consequences can be really huge and expensive.
It can also be malicious. I’m sure many of us have heard at least one story of a midwife ‘stealing’ a healthy newborn baby and selling it, while lying to the parents that their baby died, or substituting another baby instead. Or the one where one of the parents connives with the midwife to replace a female baby because they want a baby boy. SMH.

But then remember that in Nigeria, we generally are very poor at recording data, keeping records, and conducting proper investigations.

This is another good reason why DNA testing is recommended for children. It’s not always because of suspicions of cheating. But also to assist medical history.

If you’ve had such suspicions about yourself or anyone, please don’t panic! And don’t start stupidly blaming enemies or village people or witches/wizards/Satan (rme). It's also not by yelling "God/Allah forbid!" and doing prayers. It can happen to anyone. Thankfully, we live in an era where we have scientific tools to investigate these things. If you can afford to, please do DNA test to calm or confirm your suspicions.
Sometimes, you don’t even need DNA testing (which is very expensive). Blood genotype tests may be enough.

I think my wife’s twin brother is a victim of this. That nigga isnt only demonic and an ingrate but act very strange to the entire family, giving the entire family constant headache. Sometimes giving him Otapiapia comes to my mind undecided

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by conductorh2: 6:17pm On Jan 29, 2018
Re: Babies Switched At Birth by dkronicle(m): 6:18pm On Jan 29, 2018
never. Even me and my cousins gan dey behave alike. We smoke weed and non smokes cigarette. grin grin grin
I am confirming this for me and my cousins, we are from one generation.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by TheBlessedMAN: 6:18pm On Jan 29, 2018
Crazy Advice Things cheesy cheesy
Don't expose ur success too quickly In life..
I learnt that from playing "WHOT" Once u just say "Last Card"...you will see ur enemies coming out of the woods.. You'll just be hearing.. "pick 2, General Market, Hold On, Suspension, pick 2 again. Check up!"
grin grin

32 Likes

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by kingemmybxt(m): 6:18pm On Jan 29, 2018
d
Re: Babies Switched At Birth by oyetunder(m): 6:18pm On Jan 29, 2018
this life...hmm
Re: Babies Switched At Birth by toluleke(m): 6:19pm On Jan 29, 2018
If no DNA test or blood transmission i guess you would just be wired okay this are my parent that all. The most terrible people on earth are those who can harm a child that can't talk nor defend him/her self

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by MediumStout(m): 6:19pm On Jan 29, 2018
spacyzuma:

What is the average cost of DNA to determine the paternity of a child?
Re: Babies Switched At Birth by pol23: 6:20pm On Jan 29, 2018
Adult switch nko?
I can switch myself to Dangote's pikin.

4 Likes

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by 9iceboi(m): 6:20pm On Jan 29, 2018
Too much of telemundo is affecting u
Re: Babies Switched At Birth by MrImole: 6:20pm On Jan 29, 2018
Hàhahahà
Re: Babies Switched At Birth by QuinSecrets(f): 6:21pm On Jan 29, 2018
All I have to say is, It's not my portion!
Re: Babies Switched At Birth by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 29, 2018
sad
My location was actually switched. I live in heaven but was made to dwell in the midst of mortal men.

Will surely reunite with heaven

2 Likes

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by Icecomrade: 6:24pm On Jan 29, 2018
Reason why i avoid Govt hospitals.

This cant happen in private clinics
Re: Babies Switched At Birth by kennosklint(m): 6:24pm On Jan 29, 2018
People like sarki,omenka,and many others didnt suck their real parents breast just like their grand patron.

4 Likes

Re: Babies Switched At Birth by chyckxx(m): 6:25pm On Jan 29, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: Babies Switched At Birth by clems88(m): 6:26pm On Jan 29, 2018
Please ask lalasticlala because my spirit tells me he was exchanged . lala better go do DNA test o
Re: Babies Switched At Birth by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jan 29, 2018
TheBlessedMAN:
Crazy Advice Things cheesy cheesy
Don't expose ur success too quickly In life..
I learnt that from playing "WHOT" Once u just say "Last Card"...you will see ur enemies coming out of the woods.. You'll just be hearing.. "pick 2, General Market, Hold On, Suspension, pick 2 again. Check up!"
grin grin
cheesy
Re: Babies Switched At Birth by BornnAgainChild(f): 6:28pm On Jan 29, 2018
The science students should elaborate more on this

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

In One Word Describe Your ''MOTHER'' / 14-year-old Girl Mauled To Death By Dogs. / Man Opts Out As Wife Brings Second Husband Home In Zimbabwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.