Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,533 members, 7,812,656 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Pls Help Solve These Wave Problems. Anyone? Pls I need answers - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pls Help Solve These Wave Problems. Anyone? Pls I need answers (757 Views)

Please How Do I Solve These Difficult Primary 4 QR Questions (pictures) / Please Help Me Solve These Primary 4 Quantitative Works / Help Solve Primary 4 Qualitative Assignment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help Solve These Wave Problems. Anyone? Pls I need answers by KingErnesto(m): 2:59pm On Jan 30, 2018
I and my colleagues were solving some physics problems relating to waves. We couldn't arrive at the solution of 2 problems, so we thought perhaps some parameters were omitted. So I suggested that I post a couple of them up here to see if anyone could arrive at a solution....

Questions

1. A steel wire having a diameter of 0.2mm is subject to a tension of 200N . Determine the velocity of propagation if transverse wave along the wire.

2 . A vibrating source at the end of a stretched strung has a displacement given by the equation y=0.1sin6t , where y is in meters and t is in seconds. The tension in the string is 4N and the mass per unit length is 0.01kgm/s .

a. What is the velocity in the strings
b. What is the frequency of the wave
c. what is the wave length.

cc: seunwen2 , privatetisa, simiolu1, STENON, dejt4u, Dominiquez
Re: Pls Help Solve These Wave Problems. Anyone? Pls I need answers by KingErnesto(m): 10:30am On Jan 31, 2018
Re: Pls Help Solve These Wave Problems. Anyone? Pls I need answers by lordbeans(m): 12:37pm On Jan 31, 2018
KingErnesto:
I and my colleagues were solving some physics problems relating to waves. We couldn't arrive at the solution of 2 problems, so we thought perhaps some parameters were omitted. So I suggested that I post a couple of them up here to see if anyone could arrive at a solution....

Questions

1. A steel wire having a diameter of 0.2mm is subject to a tension of 200N . Determine the velocity of propagation if transverse wave along the wire.

2 . A vibrating source at the end of a stretched strung has a displacement given by the equation y=0.1sin6t , where y is in meters and t is in seconds. The tension in the string is 4N and the mass per unit length is 0.01kgm/s .

a. What is the velocity in the strings
b. What is the frequency of the wave
c. what is the wave length.

cc: seunwen2 , privatetisa, simiolu1, STENON, dejt4u, Dominiquez

Question 1 is 900 m/s.

I got this from knowing the density of steel to be 7.86*10^3 kg/m^3. Once you know this then calculate the circular area of the steel wire (which is pi*D^2/4) and then multiply by the density to give you the mass per unit length. It is pretty straight forward from there using the formula V= sqrt(T/M/L).

As for question 2, why is your unit of mass per unit length in kgm/s?. Once you let me know I will comment on question 2.
Re: Pls Help Solve These Wave Problems. Anyone? Pls I need answers by KingErnesto(m): 5:19pm On Jan 31, 2018
lordbeans:

Question 1 is 900 m/s.

I got this from knowing the density of steel to be 7.86*10^3 kg/m^3. Once you know this then calculate the circular area of the steel wire (which is pi*D^2/4) and then multiply by the density to give you the mass per unit length. It is pretty straight forward from there using the formula V= sqrt(T/M/L).

As for question 2, why is your unit of mass per unit length in kgm/s?. Once you let me know I will comment on question 2.

Thanks for the attempt, I appreciate. For the question 2, it's actually linear density, kg/m and not kg/s , my mistake.
Re: Pls Help Solve These Wave Problems. Anyone? Pls I need answers by lordbeans(m): 3:59am On Feb 01, 2018
KingErnesto:

Thanks for the attempt, I appreciate. For the question 2, it's actually linear density, kg/m and not kg/s , my mistake.

Velocity = sqrt(4/0.01)=20m/s;

since Sin is 2*pi periodic then the period of the sinusoidal function is 6t=2*pi=> t_p=2*pi/6;
but frequency= 1/t_p= 6/(2*pi)= 3/pi hz;

velocity=frequency*wavelength.

wavelength=velocity/frequency;

wavelength=20/(3/pi)= 20*pi/3 metres.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help Solve These Wave Problems. Anyone? Pls I need answers by KingErnesto(m): 5:49am On Feb 01, 2018
lordbeans:

Velocity = sqrt(4/0.01)=20m/s;

since Sin is 2*pi periodic then the period of the sinusoidal function is 6t=2*pi=> t_p=2*pi/6;
but frequency= 1/t_p= 6/(2*pi)= 3/pi hz;

velocity=frequency*wavelength.

wavelength=velocity/frequency;

wavelength=20/(3/pi)= 20*pi/3 metres.

Thanks boss... thumbs up.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Much It Costs To Be A Student Of The Technical University, Ibadan / NECO Timetable For 2018 June/july Senior Secondary School Examination (SSCE) / AGIP Oil Scholarship 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.