Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,542 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

An Open Letter To Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Open Letter To Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo (567 Views)

See The Mansion Former President Chief Olusegun Obasanjo Donated For Covid-19 / Femi Falana To Chief Olusegun Obasanjo / An Open Letter To Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

An Open Letter To Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo by Prinq: 3:27am On Jan 31, 2018

An Open Letter To Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo.

LEAVE US ALONE.

Dear Chief (Dr.) Obasanjo,

First and foremost, let me congratulate you on the recent conferment of the award of Doctor of Philosophy on you by the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN). You have by this feat, demonstrated that age is no barrier to academic achievement. I honestly hope you will complete the process by becoming a research fellow somewhere so as to add the title of Prof to your name.

Now to the reason for my open letter to you. Let me quickly point out that this letter is a reaction to a similar letter you addressed to President Muhammudu Buhari, the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces. Before anything else, let me apologise for having to employ this methodoly to reaching out to you. As a thorough breed Yoruba man, I am not unaware of the fact that it was wrong to approach an elder in this manner. But going by the fact that you have in the past employed similar method in reaching out to men in high offices, particularly presidents, it then suggest to me that you may see nothing wrong in my action.

Second is the fact that I am of the strong view that you expected well-meaning Nigerians, including yours sincerely, to avail themselves with the content of the said letter and possibly react. Although, some were apt to conclude that the real essence was to eke your name in the consciousness of the people.

Baba, there is no gain-saying the fact that you possess an outstanding personality and clout, which are very rich and intimidating. However, your greatest challenge, in my opinion, has to do with your nature.

Since 1976 when you came to the centre stage of Nigeria's political landscape, you have continued to play the role of a domineering figure.
Baba, I must confess that though I admire your grit and gut. However, I also believe that there are times for stock taking, time when one relaxes on the past. But this seem to be unimportant to you, regardless of the status you occupy in the society.

I have, and am sure many Nigerians do also, not forgotten how you imposed the Land Use Act on the entire country; the 12, 2/3rd Saga of 1979, which brought in Ex-president, Shehu Shagari adminstration. You became the main beneficiary of the June 12 1993 election cancellation struggle by taking the yoruba slot to become president even though you never identified with the struggle.

Baba, may I remind you Sir, that on becoming the president, you worked against every thing Chief Obafemi Awolowo's political dynasty stood for. You rubbished Chief MKO Abiola when you said he was not the messiah to lead Nigeria to the promised land. You not only made your self Leader of the Yoruba, but father of the Nation.
Your tenure as president between 1999 to 2007 was a disaster! You appointed advisers you never took their advice thereby wasting public funds through the appointment. You did not improve on housing, infrastructure, road or health. Companies, particularly, banks busied themselves retrenching staff members rather than growing the economy.
Baba, during your tenure, Nigeria was living a borrowed life despite the boom in oil sales, Money realised during this period were wasted on electric power achitecture that added no single kilowatt to national grid. Similar fate befell money voted for road construction all over Nigeria. The aviation sector became comatose. You officially liquidated Nigeria Airways, and till you left office, you never saw the need to pay your government commitment to the retrenched staffers of the organization. Indeed, during your tenure, planes were falling off the sky like mangos falling off tree.

Baba, do i remind you sir that as Minister of Petroleum, you increased fuel pump price Eleven (11) times, which is the cause of the economic crisis we are still in till today.

We the people never gained anything from the windfall from the sale of crude oil, we still await all promises to provide palliatives from your government till today.

The only sector that thrived during your era was corruption and this was because you knew those involved would disturb your Imperial ambition of a third term. You set up the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), brought in Mallam Nuhu Ribadu to hound your real and imagined enemies,

Baba, the list of your misdeamenour in government are legendary. So, suffice to allow you recall others.
But coming home Baba, you knew the health status of ex-president Umar Yar' Adua, yet you imposed him on Nigeria and Nigerians. You never trained nor groomed a successor, because of your life presidential ambition. You could have picked or promoted the candidature of a younger and vibrant Northerner, rather than the sickling Yar'Adua whose eventual demise nearly plunge the country into another war.

Baba, rather than allow the People's Democratic Party (PDP) caucus and the party organs choose the vice presidential candidate ahead of the 2007 presidential election, you unilaterally decided on Dr. Good luck Jonathan whom you would later lambast and worked for his fall.

Now that you have taken on President Buhari, to me your letter is borne out of mischief and attempt at blackmail, because you have unrestricted access to the Villa than most Nigerians. Thus you could have discussed the content of your reprehensible letter with President Buhari privately and proffer viable solution or even offer to serve in a capacity that will bring about change and improve deliverables from government.

As a former president, you are by all stretch of imagination s statesman and should therefore be seen and not heard always.

Nigerians want you Sir, to be in the mould of ex-president J. J. Rawlings of Ghana, Nelson Mandela of South Africa, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Bush, Bill Clinton and recently Barack Obama of the United States of America. They have all act as statesmen in their various countries, they are only seen and not heard, but get across to power, not through ignoble public letters, which you are used to.

Going through your letter, you acknowledged that President Buhari administration has been able to curtail insecurity/ Boko Haram and that the fight against corruption was on course, though on a selective basis, that is where you should have come in privately to correct

In fairness, Buhari's main campaign thrust was to secure the country, take back all the territory controlled by boko haram, which he has done to the admiration of all Nigerians, including you as confirmed in your letter.

Baba, one would have expected you Sir to give examples of how you tackled corruption, the economy, insecurity, unemployment, roads and rural developments and other government deliverables, which are now in place, which the government of the day has destroyed or killed.
But your advice to President Buhari that he should take a rest is not anchored on any moral rectitude particularly as you disingenously attempted to enlongate your tenure after the expiration of your mandatory term.

Baba, Nigerians have taken a stance as a people, we know what to do when the time comes to vote and do not need to be telly guided.
We want to be left alone to decide our destiny, which are in our hands and not in any ones hand.

Thank you,
Yours faithfully,
Wale Ogunade Esq.
President, Voters Awareness Initiative.

Source:- http://www.lekkigists.com.ng/2018/01/an-open-letter-to-chief-olusegun-aremu.html

Lalasticlala Oam4j
Re: An Open Letter To Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo by Nobody: 3:30am On Jan 31, 2018
Prinq:

An Open Letter To Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo.

LEAVE US ALONE.

Dear Chief (Dr.) Obasanjo,

First and foremost, let me congratulate you on the recent conferment of the award of Doctor of Philosophy on you by the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN). You have by this feat, demonstrated that age is no barrier to academic achievement. I honestly hope you will complete the process by becoming a research fellow somewhere so as to add the title of Prof to your name.

Now to the reason for my open letter to you. Let me quickly point out that this letter is a reaction to a similar letter you addressed to President Muhammudu Buhari, the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces. Before anything else, let me apologise for having to employ this methodoly to reaching out to you. As a thorough breed Yoruba man, I am not unaware of the fact that it was wrong to approach an elder in this manner. But going by the fact that you have in the past employed similar method in reaching out to men in high offices, particularly presidents, it then suggest to me that you may see nothing wrong in my action.

Second is the fact that I am of the strong view that you expected well-meaning Nigerians, including yours sincerely, to avail themselves with the content of the said letter and possibly react. Although, some were apt to conclude that the real essence was to eke your name in the consciousness of the people.

Baba, there is no gain-saying the fact that you possess an outstanding personality and clout, which are very rich and intimidating. However, your greatest challenge, in my opinion, has to do with your nature.

Since 1976 when you came to the centre stage of Nigeria's political landscape, you have continued to play the role of a domineering figure.
Baba, I must confess that though I admire your grit and gut. However, I also believe that there are times for stock taking, time when one relaxes on the past. But this seem to be unimportant to you, regardless of the status you occupy in the society.

I have, and am sure many Nigerians do also, not forgotten how you imposed the Land Use Act on the entire country; the 12, 2/3rd Saga of 1979, which brought in Ex-president, Shehu Shagari adminstration. You became the main beneficiary of the June 12 1993 election cancellation struggle by taking the yoruba slot to become president even though you never identified with the struggle.

Baba, may I remind you Sir, that on becoming the president, you worked against every thing Chief Obafemi Awolowo's political dynasty stood for. You rubbished Chief MKO Abiola when you said he was not the messiah to lead Nigeria to the promised land. You not only made your self Leader of the Yoruba, but father of the Nation.
Your tenure as president between 1999 to 2007 was a disaster! You appointed advisers you never took their advice thereby wasting public funds through the appointment. You did not improve on housing, infrastructure, road or health. Companies, particularly, banks busied themselves retrenching staff members rather than growing the economy.
Baba, during your tenure, Nigeria was living a borrowed life despite the boom in oil sales, Money realised during this period were wasted on electric power achitecture that added no single kilowatt to national grid. Similar fate befell money voted for road construction all over Nigeria. The aviation sector became comatose. You officially liquidated Nigeria Airways, and till you left office, you never saw the need to pay your government commitment to the retrenched staffers of the organization. Indeed, during your tenure, planes were falling off the sky like mangos falling off tree.

Baba, do i remind you sir that as Minister of Petroleum, you increased fuel pump price Eleven (11) times, which is the cause of the economic crisis we are still in till today.

We the people never gained anything from the windfall from the sale of crude oil, we still await all promises to provide palliatives from your government till today.

The only sector that thrived during your era was corruption and this was because you knew those involved would disturb your Imperial ambition of a third term. You set up the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), brought in Mallam Nuhu Ribadu to hound your real and imagined enemies,

Baba, the list of your misdeamenour in government are legendary. So, suffice to allow you recall others.
But coming home Baba, you knew the health status of ex-president Umar Yar' Adua, yet you imposed him on Nigeria and Nigerians. You never trained nor groomed a successor, because of your life presidential ambition. You could have picked or promoted the candidature of a younger and vibrant Northerner, rather than the sickling Yar'Adua whose eventual demise nearly plunge the country into another war.

Baba, rather than allow the People's Democratic Party (PDP) caucus and the party organs choose the vice presidential candidate ahead of the 2007 presidential election, you unilaterally decided on Dr. Good luck Jonathan whom you would later lambast and worked for his fall.

Now that you have taken on President Buhari, to me your letter is borne out of mischief and attempt at blackmail, because you have unrestricted access to the Villa than most Nigerians. Thus you could have discussed the content of your reprehensible letter with President Buhari privately and proffer viable solution or even offer to serve in a capacity that will bring about change and improve deliverables from government.

As a former president, you are by all stretch of imagination s statesman and should therefore be seen and not heard always.

Nigerians want you Sir, to be in the mould of ex-president J. J. Rawlings of Ghana, Nelson Mandela of South Africa, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Bush, Bill Clinton and recently Barack Obama of the United States of America. They have all act as statesmen in their various countries, they are only seen and not heard, but get across to power, not through ignoble public letters, which you are used to.

Going through your letter, you acknowledged that President Buhari administration has been able to curtail insecurity/ Boko Haram and that the fight against corruption was on course, though on a selective basis, that is where you should have come in privately to correct

In fairness, Buhari's main campaign thrust was to secure the country, take back all the territory controlled by boko haram, which he has done to the admiration of all Nigerians, including you as confirmed in your letter.

Baba, one would have expected you Sir to give examples of how you tackled corruption, the economy, insecurity, unemployment, roads and rural developments and other government deliverables, which are now in place, which the government of the day has destroyed or killed.
But your advice to President Buhari that he should take a rest is not anchored on any moral rectitude particularly as you disingenously attempted to enlongate your tenure after the expiration of your mandatory term.

Baba, Nigerians have taken a stance as a people, we know what to do when the time comes to vote and do not need to be telly guided.
We want to be left alone to decide our destiny, which are in our hands and not in any ones hand.

Thank you,
Yours faithfully,
Wale Ogunade Esq.
President, Voters Awareness Initiative

Sai barbarianism is bad for the nation

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo by madridguy(m): 3:46am On Jan 31, 2018
Brb
Re: An Open Letter To Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo by Nobody: 3:56am On Jan 31, 2018
Who be this one?

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo by Colleverage: 4:15am On Jan 31, 2018
[quote author=Prinq post=64654912][/quote]
Your own no sweet
Re: An Open Letter To Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo by 12submarine(m): 4:56am On Jan 31, 2018
imhotep:

Sai barbarianism is bad for the nation
The areas highlighted in Obasanjo's letter are undisputable facts and many Nigerians, including myself, are strongly behind Obasanjo. But let me tell you the truth, watery and senseless comments like the one you just made is what keeps ridiculing intelligent analyses of Buhari’s failure. When you want to counter a submission, use your brain, likes and shares in NL wouldn't vote Buhari out of power.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo by Mynd44: 5:27am On Jan 31, 2018

(1)

IGP Orders Disarming Of Vigilantes. Whose Orders Do You Think He Is Following? / How Murtala Muhammed Tried To Change Nigeria In His 198 Days Of Governance / Vote, *dr Omene Odafe Wilson* For *house Of Representatives* 2019 Apc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.