Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses (1119 Views)

Bayelsa West Needs A Leader Like Dikson – Sagbama And Ekeremor Leaders / Father Mbaka: Enugu Has Never Had A Leader Like Ugwuanyi / Awolowo :The Real Cause Of Death (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by Entvibez(f): 3:49am On Jan 31, 2018

I was in the primary school when the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, more popularly known as AWO, was premier of Western Nigeria (1954-1959), but because I was born and grew up in the north, I (or more appropriately my father – since he paid my school fees) did not benefit from the acclaimed free education policy of Awo’s exemplary government.
But I, like all pupils my age, knew of Awo – Awo the man and Awo the myth! We marvelled as his helicopter hovered over Minna, spewing and spreading propaganda leaflets during his political campaign as Leader of the Opposition in the federal parliament (1959-63). We looked up into the sky atmoon-nights and truly believed we could see face-image on the moon that was of Awo.
Amongst the majority of the Yoruba, then and now, the image of Awo looms large; he is the most politically accomplished and revered Yoruba, perhaps second only to their mythical progenitor, Oduduwa himself.

Not without reason. Western Region (and the Yoruba) under his premiership witnessed spectacular abundance in quality infrastructure and unequalled human and economic development. Not only are some of the roads built in his time throughout the nooks and crannies of the region still standing, many even without a single touch since, the industrial and economic models he created are thriving legacies bequeathed to sadly visionless inheritors. The West recorded “First in Africa” in many spheres of development.
Not long ago something took me unto the Awo Foundation website, I was looking to quote Awo for an article. Lo and behold, the website opened with a whole load of memorable quotes from the sage garnered from his several published books, speeches, and lectures spanning over half a century of learning, reasoning, labouring, and manifesting. It is difficult to go through these words of the sage and not come to the conclusion that in mind development, in visionary leadership, in self-discipline, and in setting examples, there is none of his political peers, and sadly none of those that have followed, that came close to the man. He was deep.
The extracts that follow are only a handful of Awo’s memorable thoughts. They are inspiring, nay, awe-inspiring! Hope the leaders of today and the masses alike would reflect on “Awo’s wisdom.”

Awo On Self-Discipline: 
“I will, more than ever before, subject myself to severe self- discipline. Only men who are masters of themselves become easily masters of others. Therefore, my thoughts, my tongue, 
and my actions shall be brought under strict control always.” 
— My March Through Prison, 1985

Awo’s View of The World:
 “I must take the world as I find it: with its sprinkling of saints and its multitude of evil-doers… with its source of happiness and its tons of sorrow. My duty, therefore, is to view anything that may happen to me in this world with Christ-like calm and equanimity and to do all in my power to promote the progress and advancement of mankind.” 
— My March Through Prison, 1985
Awo On Good and Evil: 
“The touchstone of what is good, be it thought, or word or action, is LOVE. We are to love our neighbours as ourselves. That is the law and the prophets. Anything therefore – any thought or word or action – which falls short of LOVE is evil, and holds within itself the germ of its own eventual and inevitable destruction.” 
- Lecture at the University of Lagos (1968): In Voice of Courage (1981)

Awo On Development of Human Personality: 
“A man whose personality is fully developed never fears anything; he cringes not, and never feels inferior to anyone; His breadth of mind enables him to exercise his freedom in such a manner as not to endanger the interests and freedom of others. He is a citizen of the world — free from narrow prejudices. He is what he is because the three main constituents of his entity – his body, brain, and mind — are fully developed. Mens Sana in Corpore Sano!” 
— Voice of Reason (1981)

Awo on Power and How It Enslaves: 
“Power enslaves: absolute power enslaves absolutely. I have made a diligent search through history, and I have not come across a single instance where a regime, be it military or civilian, which has come to power at its own will, and has wielded that power for many years, has found it easy to extricate itself from the sweet uses and shackles of power, and then hand it to others outside its own hierarchy. It is possible, quite possible, that my search is not exhaustive and so, I stand to be corrected.” 
- University of Ife Convocation (1974): In Voice of Courage. 1981. (How I wish MKO Abiola read and was mindful of this, when he believed Abacha would stage a coup and hand it over to MKO on a platter – TF).
Awo on Self-Seeking African Leaders:
“Africa has produced more self-seeking leaders than public-spirited ones. But, thank goodness, the masses of the people remain largely unspoilt and uncorrupted, and are developing fast the technique of differentiating gold from lead and real metal from dross. What is more, they have begun to show their preparedness for very rough action against any political leader who may be caught in the game of public trickery and fraud.” 
- The People’s Republic, 1968
Awo On People’s Revolt Against Bad Leadership:
“A greedy, corrupt, and evil administration is bound to wither, sooner or later, in the face of obsessive desire and mounting clamour on the part of the masses of the people for a welfare regime which will benefit all equally. In the course of time there will be a clash of desires and wills between the exploiters and the exploited. These clash of desires and wills will stir the universal mind into action, and a situation will then arise which will bring about the termination of or radical change in the greedy, and evil regime.”
- The People’s Republic, 1968
Awo on the Danger of Not Practising What We Preach:
“If we are in the habit of practising the opposite of what we preach, our admonition will not only lose their force and cogency, but also we ourselves will forfeit every claim to credibility. An ounce of example, it has been widely said, is far better than a ton of precepts.” 
— Address to the Congregation of the University of Ife (1970): In Voice of Wisdom, 1981.
Awo on an Ijaw Presidency of Nigeria: 
“I look forward to the day – not in the far distant future – when an Ijaw would be President of our 
Republic, and a Birom his deputy or vice versa.” 
— Speech at the UPN’s First Campaign (1978): In Voice of Wisdom (1981) (And it came to pass! TF)
Awo on Federalism for Multi-National Country: 
“I predict that every multi-lingual or multi-national country with a unitary constitution must either eventually have a federal constitution based on the principles which I have enunciated, or disintegrate, or be perennially afflicted with disharmony and instability.” 
— The Peoples’ Republic, 1968.
Awo on Population As Basis Of Sharing Revenue: 
“In a country where the accuracy of the census figures is so much in acrimonious dispute, it is gross and aggravating provocation to urge that population should be used as a basis of sharing what belongs to others who are much fewer in number.” 
— The Strategy and Tactics of the People’s Republic of Nigeria, 1970
Awo’s Self-Assessment As A Leader: 
“While many men in power and public office are busy carousing in the midst of women of easy virtue and men of low morals, I, as a few others like me, am busy at my desk thinking about the problems of Nigeria and proffering solutions to them. Only the deep can call to the deep.”

Source:- http://www.lekkigists.com.ng/2018/01/where-can-we-find-real-visionary-leader.html

Mynd44 Lalasticlala 1forall crazyman OAM4J

4 Likes

Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by Colleverage: 4:09am On Jan 31, 2018
Ask your pastor
Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by ycat: 4:32am On Jan 31, 2018
You just made my comment a topic. Well, we can never find another one because Yoruba are under a serious curse. The closest we had was Tinubu in his little way, but he has since slowed down knowing his own people would rather give Yoruba land to aliens than to see him succeed. I'm still saying it that, if any other Yoruba leader had been in Tinubu's shoe, the Vp slot would have been given to other region for all the cowardly reasons.

1 Like

Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by Entvibez(f): 4:35am On Jan 31, 2018
ycat:
You just made my comment a topic. Well, we can never find another one because Yoruba are under a serious curse. The closest we had was Tinubu in his little way, but he has since slowed down knowing his own people would rather give Yoruba land to aliens than to see him succeed. I'm still saying it that if any other Yoruba leader had been Tinubu, the Vp slot would have be given to other region for all the cowardly reasons.

yeah bro, can i have your contact

1 Like

Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by kolaaderin: 4:37am On Jan 31, 2018
[quote author=Entvibez post=64655006][/quote]
Nigeria lost it the moment AWO failed to grab the federal power. If he was able to become the head of state then, our stories would have been totally different now.
Why is the west still the most peaceful part of this country? Awo unparalleled works is still in action. Yoruba educated minds has been able to radiate through and beyond religious and ethnical reasoning,hence the relative peace we enjoy now.
Other regions failure to do the right then results in what we as a nation is experiencing now and I'm afraid it a matter of time before the glittering and peaceful mind AWO left for the Yoruba gets corrupted by the others as they are already trying hard to shatter our minds against one another. Example is the Yoruba Muslim and yoruba Christians alteration from our south east neighbours.
Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by ycat: 4:38am On Jan 31, 2018
I be woman oo! Hehehe! I don't know if it's a good idea.
Entvibez:

yeah bro, can i have your contact
Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by cryles(m): 4:49am On Jan 31, 2018
#shhithole country

all i have to say

2 Likes

Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by Entvibez(f): 4:52am On Jan 31, 2018
ycat:
I be woman oo! Hehehe! I don't know if it's a good idea.

just want to know you more

1 Like

Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by naijaking1: 5:47am On Jan 31, 2018
Awo traded his short term goal(tribalism) for his long term goal(ruling Nigeria), so he died a frustrated man. Shekina! Go ask Paul Unongo!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by SantaCruz1: 6:02am On Jan 31, 2018
which visionary leader, you mean awolowo the child killer who later committed suicide after karma struck?

awolowo is a war criminal ,nothing more

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by chrisugoson(m): 7:12am On Jan 31, 2018
visionary my ass this father of tribalism?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by EternalTruths: 7:18am On Jan 31, 2018
Awolowo that destroyed One Nigeria with tribalism.
Pls find another Character.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by kolaaderin: 8:02am On Jan 31, 2018
He did what he could to develop the west as we all can confirm but realised he is not to be the leader forever and this days will come when other regions would pull the nation down due to serious backwardness both conscious backwardness(North) and unconscious backwardness (East) as their leaders was failing to replicate his type of ideology in their regions. As a patriotic Nigerian with the believe of making this country great, he opt for federal level to replicate his fit but was let down by the unconscious and conscious Backward neighbours and there we are today. He would be turning in his grave now regretting he should have safe his people from this colossal shithole.
Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by Cinkq: 8:06am On Jan 31, 2018
Verry few people are endowed today with the type of WISDOM and VISION GOD gave
PA. AWOLOWO IN HIS DAYS.

Even O.OJUKWU, the greatest igbo man that ever liveth couldn't hide his admiration for pa. Awolowo that he described him as the best president Nigeria never had.
So whenever i see some igbo youths insulting the great Awolowo today as some are already doing in this thread, I just laugh over it because they are misinformed and not in touch with reality.
SO FUNNY THAT YOUTHS WHOSE PARENTS BENEFITED FROM PA. AWOLOWO'S FREE EDUCATION LEGACY ARE THE ONE'S CASTIGATING HIM MOST TODAY.
they are nothing but ingrate.

Indeed AWOLOWO was the moses assigned by GOD to take this country to her cannanland, but unfortunately they didn't allow him do much and now we are all feeling the heat.

1 Like

Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by kolaaderin: 8:08am On Jan 31, 2018
Our unconscious backward neighbour are here. I swear half baked education is a big problem to this people. They feel they know it all with secondary school education but in reality they are in darkness unconsciously.
Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by Nobody: 8:23am On Jan 31, 2018
AWO na Yoruba man.
Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by LekkiGists: 10:44pm On Jan 31, 2018
lalasticlala
Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by Babacele: 3:46am On Feb 01, 2018
Awo was just too much for this country and generation. Only God knows when Nigeria would get another Awo again. Are we ready?

1 Like

Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by stonemasonn: 4:08am On Feb 01, 2018
Awo the man who saw tomorrow tongue
If not for Zik and and the British empire the country would have been divided between north and south.
Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by Ratello: 4:25am On Feb 01, 2018
Chief Awolowo came ahead of his age this is just the simple truth little wonder he was clearly misunderstood by his contemporaries. Ycat I sight you bro, let me have your sincere contributions here bro; https://www.nairaland.com/4320919/projected-atikus-masterstroke-statistical-analyses
Re: Can We Find A Real Visionary Leader Like Obafemi Awolowo ? The Political Moses by intruxive(m): 7:43am On Feb 01, 2018
Now we have tinubu, and aregbe is following awos blue print in osun

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: VP Osinbajo Meets With Niger Delta Governors / Keep Your Awards, Apologize To Yoruba Nation, Youth Group Tells Buhari / Nigeria Overtakes India As Country With Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.