Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,243 members, 7,957,584 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:15 PM

An Interview With Potable Sachet Water Hawkers Today - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / An Interview With Potable Sachet Water Hawkers Today (552 Views)

A Man's Shocking Experience With Nigerian Hawkers / Hawkers Sell New Naira Notes At Parties (pic) / Hawkers Fight Dirty On Lagos Ibadan Express Road Over Customer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Interview With Potable Sachet Water Hawkers Today by chrisxxx(m): 10:05pm On Jan 31, 2018
I Interviewed 3 pure water sellers and according to them: sometimes, it takes about 6 hours to sell 20 sachets of water which amounts to a total of N200 which is even less than a dollar now.
From the N200, the profit is only about N40 as the pure water sellers have to pay the wholesalers their money back as well as cover the price for ice block which was used to cool the water.

The long and short of it is that some of them make only N40 in 6 hours of hustling under the hot sun, risking their lives on express roads.

As if that isn't bad enough, when passengers and drivers reach the traffic stops, they prefer to dash N20, N50 or even N100 to beggars and fake sufferers who sometimes make about N1,500 a day doing nothing but begging, leaving them richer, luckier and safer than the pure water sellers who are young entrepreneurs serving the larger community with their trade, and trying to make ends meet.

So when next you are at a traffic stop, please:

1. Dash (tip) the pure water seller instead
2. Buy pure water to patronise them and if the change is (N10, or even N20, you can leave it with them)
3. Say something nice to them. Greet them, encourage them.
4. Slow down, don't knock them down.
5. Even if you wont buy the pure water, if they ask you to buy, rather than ignoring them and facing front as if they are not humans, you can look at them, smile and say "Thank you"

Please Moderators Take This To Front Page.

2 Likes

Re: An Interview With Potable Sachet Water Hawkers Today by Skyfornia(m): 10:41pm On Jan 31, 2018
Nice one...sometime ago I saw an old woman selling old/bad shoes along Oshodi railway under a heavy sun. As I approached her I wondered who would buy those shoes from her, I thought about what her day and previous days has been like without even selling a pair. I offered her #500 note and I could see the excitement on her face, she was beginning to sample the shoes to me cause she thought I wanted to buy them.. I just smiled and told her the money is not an exchange for her wares, I told her to get something and drink with the money and she started praising and praying for me.

I was so happy through out the day for putting a smile on her face.

2 Likes

Re: An Interview With Potable Sachet Water Hawkers Today by Cool83(m): 11:02pm On Jan 31, 2018
[quote author=Skyfornia post=64680015]Nice one...sometime ago I saw an old woman selling old/bad shoes along Oshodi railway under a heavy sun. As I approached her I wondered who would buy those shoes from her, I thought about what her day and previous days has been like without even selling a pair. I offered her #500 note and I could see the excitement on her face, she was beginning to sample the shoes to me cause she thought I wanted to buy them.. I just smiled and told her the money is not an exchange for her wares, I told her to get something and drink with the money and she started praising and praying for me.

I was so happy through out the day for putting a smile on her face.[/quote
may God reward you abundantly

1 Like

Re: An Interview With Potable Sachet Water Hawkers Today by peterian: 5:43pm On Feb 02, 2018
I'm touched,
God bless u op.

1 Like

Re: An Interview With Potable Sachet Water Hawkers Today by cescky(m): 5:51pm On Feb 02, 2018
Nice and thoughtful

It shall be put to practice

(1) (Reply)

Now Introducing The Best Home Business Ever! / 100 Tons Of Pure Undiluted Shea Butter Available For Purchase / Help On Petroleum Business Plan!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.