Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,300 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

What's The Possiblity Of This:::? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What's The Possiblity Of This:::? (651 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by Nobody: 12:12am On Apr 18, 2010
Hey all. Really wanna know what's the possibility and possibly best approach to developing a web based dictionary of word. Just like encarta. But web based,

Wanted to develop one sometime back but dropped the idea cause i really felt it would be difficult creating a gazillion of word and their corresponding meaning with php .

Any solution or idea will be appreciated!!!
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 18, 2010
blanketty-blank!
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by cyberomin(m): 5:59pm On Apr 18, 2010
I tought of something like this sometimes back, as a matter of fact i started the project, left it though, i will suggest u build the platform and allow the content to be user generated(Whole web 2.0 madness), more like wikipedia, Urban dictionary is a good example, check them out urbandictionary.com hope this helps.

Best of luck.

-Cyberomin
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by c7(m): 10:18pm On Apr 18, 2010
I think u can use libcurl to do smting like this:
lets say u want to get the meaning of ABSURD. You cud do smting like this
curl dict://dict.com
m:absurd
i'm nt too gud wit libcurl 4 nw but i trust people like dhtml,dualcore and omnipotence cud help wit it
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by Nobody: 12:28am On Apr 19, 2010
@Cyber. Thanks sir, Omo, na one project wey confuse me,

Your idea is cool. Considered that, but that will take time for it to have a lotta words, i mean about all words, Mostly in Nigeria where site support is poor, and far from it, i lack skillz in site management/User generation skilzz.

Will work on that, maybe cause i no sabi sweet talk peepz.

@C++. Oga, i go appreciate am if u explain the libcurb. And abeg no refer me to google ohhh!!!
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by c7(m): 5:01pm On Apr 19, 2010
I no gud 4 explanation ooh!
Libcurl is a c programming library use for retrieving, manipulating and storing data from and to the server.
Libcurl cud be use with php,perl,e.t.c
it support http, https, ssl, proxy, Ldap,dictionary server protocol(dict://) e.t.c . What u nid i tink concerns the dict. Is better to google it or use this link: curl dot haxx dot se/
Good luck
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by OmniPotens(m): 5:35pm On Apr 19, 2010
One question @Donpuzo. Have you communicated with your number one companion? I think there should lie ideas to what you want to achieve. Moreover, there are some open source scripts there you could build on but what their GPL Licences before you,
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by Nobody: 12:02am On Apr 20, 2010
@Omni. If you mean what i fink, i did ohhh. I search die, Not even an API that can be called. That stuff is simple hardly done.

But i think i am getting a solution. I will use Java, and call an API then display the result in a web, as a servlet/Applet grin

I have one Java guy that did a dictionary like that, will contact him to get his codes to work on call of it from my end (DB) .

Just thinking sir, any further solution will be a plus. I never sure of how easy my thought go work on codes, Call it Programmers thought grin
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by Nobody: 12:29am On Apr 20, 2010
building a dictionary eh? it is quite easy to build one that you store words and retrieve it using drupal (cck/views should be able to do it).
If you wish to make use of an external source, i can help you with some codes to extract the meaning from other dictionary sites using
techniques like curl or fopen (url type). . .of course i will only give you snippets, you will ave to finish the remaining yourself.
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by Nobody: 2:19am On Apr 20, 2010
@ c++ Thanks. will look it up.

is it what www.webopedia.com use

@Luzoma. Also try explaining it, and do i need to learn c++
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 20, 2010
i assume the poster was talking about a web based application. PHP has an inbuilt curl library that is part of the pecl module.
Libcurl is best used with full fledged langs like c++ (i have used it before, i do software programming as well, not just web).
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by OmniPotens(m): 8:14am On Apr 20, 2010

@Donpuzo I hope you are really ready to work out something good out of this. Let it not be a start and stop project because I really forsee that. When things get too tasking in there, you do nothing than to stop. I hope you move forward and make ME proud. I'm hoping and watching. For open source you can get to sourceforge website and make researches there.

Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by Afam4eva(m): 1:14pm On Apr 20, 2010
An online dictionary? I dey crase? It's gonna be very tasking man.
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by c7(m): 5:06pm On Apr 20, 2010
@donpuzo,
libcurl is best use with the C API but also have about 40 bindings.
PHP/CURL is the the php binding and JAVA/CURL, PERL/CURL for java and perl respectively. To use curl with php4 and above. Check this php site:
http://www.php.net/curl
i wil like to knw of any development.
Best of lucks
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by c7(m): 5:07pm On Apr 20, 2010
@donpuzo,
libcurl is best use with the C API but also have about 40 bindings.
PHP/CURL is the the php binding and JAVA/CURL, PERL/CURL for java and perl respectively. To use curl with php4 and above. Check this php site:
http://www.php.net/curl
i wil like to knw of any development.
Best of lucks
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by c7(m): 5:24pm On Apr 20, 2010
As webopedia, i dnt knw.
Try and read the dictionary server protocol to hv a gud foundation frm here:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2229.txt
dnt thrw away this project!
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Apr 21, 2010
@dhtml an dual. You guyz r funny. Try war with me na!!! grin
Re: What's The Possiblity Of This:::? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Apr 21, 2010
@Omini. Ok sir, I go try my best!!!

Thanks for the motivation!!! God bless cheesy

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Buy Video Tutorials On Ajax. Jqury And Javascript / Oltp! / Car Auctions Kembesgom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.