Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Some Common Errors In English. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some Common Errors In English. (29397 Views)

Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing / 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / Three Friends And Their Careers: The Grammatical Errors At Back Of A Story Book (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Common Errors In English. by BigBrother9ja: 12:31pm On Feb 03, 2018
gr8tone:
what makes you think it's correct? Is it because "wake keeping" is commonly used? You may be wrong if you think so.
Wake keeping is wrong but wake keep is very correct.
Prove to me that wake keep isn't correct.
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by gr8tone: 12:40pm On Feb 03, 2018
BigBrother9ja:

Wake keeping is wrong but wake keep is very correct.
Prove to me that wake keep isn't correct.
can you please prove it? I want to know why "wake keeping" is wrong
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by BigBrother9ja: 12:45pm On Feb 03, 2018
gr8tone:
can you please prove it? I want to know why "wake keeping" is wrong
You should answer the question first.
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by gr8tone: 1:03pm On Feb 03, 2018
BigBrother9ja:

You should answer the question first.
well, I was entangled in a debate concerning whether it is just wake, wake keep, or wake keeping. But I see nothing wrong with "wake keeping" neither wake keep. To me, it's a matter of lexical choice in this case
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by josh77(m): 1:20pm On Feb 03, 2018
cinoedhunter:
forgot my phone at home❌
I left my phone at home✅

These are two different statements. There's a difference when u forgot sth and deliberately left sth. So this is wrong

The thing is, u can only forget what u can't see and u can leave what u can see. That's just d logic
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by myqel(m): 1:32pm On Feb 03, 2018
unitysheart:

Very correct. Am is followed or preceded by I.
Thanks
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by beejayphako(m): 2:08pm On Feb 03, 2018
Heshei:
Now this is a worthy post for front page

I have unlearned, relearn and learn some key expressions here.

Where is lalas...

Learnt undecided , be like say u never learn anything afterall

1 Like

Re: Some Common Errors In English. by BigBrother9ja: 3:31pm On Feb 03, 2018
gr8tone:
well, I was entangled in a debate concerning whether it is just wake, wake keep, or wake keeping. But I see nothing wrong with "wake keeping" neither wake keep. To me, it's a matter of lexical choice in this case
Stalemate!
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by Heshei: 4:42pm On Feb 03, 2018
beejayphako:

Learnt undecided , be like say u never learn anything afterall
You are well sighted ... Correction taken.
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by Coolioo(m): 5:40pm On Feb 03, 2018
Olamercy884:

Please dash me❌

Please hand it on to me✅

Please give me✅

So when I say to the store keeper "please give me a pack of cigarette" or " that cigarette over there, hand it to me" you mean I'm asking that it be given to me for free? Come on, you can do better than that.

A better replacement should have been "Please gift me"

shalom!
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by gr8tone: 6:02pm On Feb 03, 2018
BigBrother9ja:

Stalemate!
ok
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by Reeberry: 6:19pm On Feb 03, 2018
HeyCorleone:

Your level of ignorance must be orgasmic.
Not as daft as you are.
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 03, 2018
gr8tone:
but I see "left" as a deliberate act while "forget, forgot" are used for things we couldn't recall and which is not deliberate. What do you think?
In English, it's still possible to use forget even for tangible things - things that you can touch - but you must not add a location. For example, I forgot my car keys. But to add a location, you must say "I LEFT my car keys at home."
https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/british-grammar/forget-or-leave
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by dsbrand(m): 8:02pm On Feb 03, 2018
Nice work
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by gr8tone: 8:05pm On Feb 03, 2018
Highbrow:

In English, it's still possible to use forget even for tangible things - things that you can touch - but you must not add a location. For example, I forgot my car keys. But to add a location, you must say "I LEFT my car keys at home."
https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/british-grammar/forget-or-leave
It really helps but to me, the issue of adding location and not adding it does not change anything or distort communication. The author of that link said "sometimes" that means it's not always.
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by gr8tone: 8:24pm On Feb 03, 2018
Highbrow:

The rules governing English language cause headache sometimes
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by kentzz(f): 9:41pm On Feb 03, 2018
Afrocentric:
can you explain this? Why is it that if one wants to fill out a form, they will ask the fellow to write first name, last name, and middle name?

All the names belong to an individual. Since its not more than one person. You're singular. So your name is so so and so
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by Afrocentric: 3:27am On Feb 04, 2018
kentzz:

All the names belong to an individual. Since its not more than one person. You're singular. So your name is so so and so
I don't agree with this
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by kentzz(f): 7:08am On Feb 04, 2018
Afrocentric:
I don't agree with this

OK, suit yourself. No point talking much on this cool
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by freethinker01: 7:16am On Feb 04, 2018
freethinker01:
my bad, you can't forget something at a particular location, for instance, it's wrong to say I forgot my car keys at home but rather say I forgot my car keys, if u want to b exact, you'd say I left my car keys at home... This is how I should have put it at first. My bad, I hope u get me better now.
kushme:

According to you, if it is something you can feel then you don't use the word "forgot"! like seriously, undecided If i can forget things that are abstract like name, ideas, thoughts...

Is the phone not a thought(abstract) first on your mind, If yes, then don't you think(abstract) i should use the word "forgot"? Again, you said one could use the word "forgot" for a person's name(abstract)..

Have you forgotten that both the person and the phone are things you can physically feel and they have names(abstract) attached to them. please, can you explain it better understanding...
that's how I should have put it earlier... Sorry for the misguide.
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by freethinker01: 7:19am On Feb 04, 2018
Psoul:

I don't want to buy ur correction.

We use forget something and leave something differently.

Here are the important differences that English learners need to know:

Forget something you're correct bro but I've actually corrected what I posted in an earlier post.
freethinker01 post=64746320:
my bad, you can't forget something at a particular location, for instance, it's wrong to say I forgot my car keys at home but rather say I forgot my car keys, if u want to b exact, you'd say I left my car keys at home... This is how I should have put it at first. My bad, I hope u get me better now.

We use forget something to say that we accidentally left something behind. We don’t say where.

I’ve forgotten my phone – I’ll have to go back home for it.

He got wet because he forgot his waterproof jacket.

Leave something

We use leave something when we say where (at home, on the bus, etc.).

I left my phone at home this morning and had to go back for it

I forgot my phone at home.

I left my umbrella on the bus.

I forgot my umbrella on the bus.

We also use leave something to say that it was intentional, i.e. it wasn’t a mistake:

I left those books in the office because they’re too heavy to carry. I’ll bring them home in the car next week.
[s]I forgot those books because they’re too heavy[/s].
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by Nobody: 10:18am On Feb 04, 2018
gr8tone:
The rules governing English language cause headache sometimes
You're right.
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by Akious2k2(m): 11:26am On Feb 04, 2018
dominique:
Belated happy birthday? undecided
Very true... Just look at it this way...
Happy belated BD means the BD is late, (Happy for the BD being late) which doesn't make sense, but
Belated HBD means that the HBD wish is coming late
I hope that helps
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by zuto4u(m): 12:18pm On Feb 04, 2018
Lol.... Got it bro
Proffdada:

I was being sarcastic grin
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by Reeberry: 2:38pm On Feb 06, 2018
freethinker01:
You are ignorant. Stop covering up yourself after your ignorance had been exposed.
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by Razak5(m): 9:18pm On Jun 04, 2018
[quote author=freethinker01 post=64768227][/quote]

Hi.

What tags did you use to insert that response in the rectangular box above...? Please I really need to get hold of that tag...

Thanks.
Re: Some Common Errors In English. by Razak5(m): 9:19pm On Jun 04, 2018
[quote author=freethinker01 post=64768227][/quote]
Hi.

What tags did you use to insert that response in the rectangular box above...? Please I really need to get hold of that tag...

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We Are Heartbroken: Chrisland Schools React To Whitney Adeniran's Death / Four University Reading Partners Graduate Together In Flying Colors (photos) / ICAN Professional Exam March 2020 Diet: Timetable, Fees, Registration Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.